Uncontrollable weight gain?!

Options
Story time! Back in the week of July 15th, I went off to camp. When I left I weighed about 108.2. It was an okay weight. It wasn't my ideal weight, but it wasn't that much to worry about. (My ideal is 107) When I went off to camp, I started eating foods again that I had cut out of my diet completely while losing weight. Chips, Candy, Ice cream, etc. Well, when I returned from camp about 4 days later, I got on the scale and somehow managed to lose weight. I was about 107.2. My family went straight from camp to vacation. Wanting to enjoy myself, I ate just about anything I wanted. (Also, I thought "Hey, I just ate bad at camp and lost weight. Maybe my metabolism has been boosted or something and I can eat more.) Well, about 3 days later, vacation came to an end and I stepped back on the scales. It read 108.8. That is when I realized I do not have a freak metabolism. Missing the way my healthy eating lifestyle made me feel, I jumped back on my clean eating. After about 4 days of my old lifestyle again, I weighed. Somehow it had gotten up to 109.2. I was shocked. I had been eating the same thing I had been for months before camp, and everything I was eating had helped me maintain/lose a little. Trying to stop this weird weight gain, I went back on my old diet for a few days. ( I lost 79 pounds on my old diet). I have been exercising every day again. To my dismay, the scale read 109.6 this morning. I just don't know why I'm still gaining. I'm doing everything I used too.

Please, if anyone can help?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuation is completely normal, especially for females. And I am curious....how tall are you?
  • AlexB422
    AlexB422 Posts: 111
    Options
    Around 5'5. Not 100% sure to be honest lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    it's either water or poo.

that's hardly a big shift in weight.. even for a regular daily fluctuation.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this comes across as rude, but why are you worried about a 2lb difference?

I go up and down 5lbs all the time, weight fluctuates due to many factors. Its normal.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    it's either water or poo.

that's hardly a big shift in weight.. even for a regular daily fluctuation.

I agree.. and why are you worried about this "gain" ?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1.4lbs is hardly 'uncontrollable weight gain'...

your goal weight is too low for your height anyway, so gaining weight is not a bad thing in your situation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

If you are that tall your goal should be to gain weight anyway. And 2lbs falls withing normal daily fluctuations. If you were talking 10-15 lbs then you could call it uncontrollable weight gain. You may not have gained any weight, you may just be retaining water with such a small difference 108-109.6 is less than most people fluctuate from morning to night, or day to day
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you are that tall your goal should be to gain weight anyway. And 2lbs falls withing normal daily fluctuations. If you were talking 10-15 lbs then you could call it uncontrollable weight gain. You may not have gained any weight, you may just be retaining water with such a small difference 108-109.6 is less than most people fluctuate from morning to night, or day to day

This! That is a very low weight for 5'5. But if a goal would be to gain more definition, adding more muscle mass will be the way to achieve it.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I lost three pounds between yesterday morning and today under the same conditions, and I can vary 5-10 pounds during the day.

It's not stored fat. Water, food, etc. Neither is yours.

Start tracking inches and using pictures, and only use the scale a crude tool to see which overall direction you're headed. 2 pounds is nothing. 20 means something.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this comes across as rude, but why are you worried about a 2lb difference?

I go up and down 5lbs all the time, weight fluctuates due to many factors. Its normal.

^^^ This!
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call < 3 pounds "uncontrollable weight gain," that's a normal fluctuation, especially if you ate a lot of sodium-rich foods on vacation. just try to eat whole foods this week, drink a ton of water, and get out and exercise. 107 pounds is considered clinically underweight if you're 5'5" by the way. maybe there are some other issues here that you need to evaluate. i am confident you don't look much different at 109 than you do at 107.
  • AlexB422
    Options

It's not rude! :) It's just my weight never really fluctuated during my weight loss. I would weigh every morning in the nude about the same time everyday. I've been doing that lately too. My weight never really fluctuated whole pounds. If anything, it would be .2-.6 range. If anything, I would only see it change after eating mexican food, but that weight would be gone by the next day. This weight is staying, which is telling me its probably not water.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an adult-based website? You're not an adult. =/

I mean, unless you really are, cuz I'd love to go to camp as an adult, looks fun. I never got to as a kid.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And 2lbs falls withing normal daily fluctuations.
    Indeed. As much as 3 pounds could easily be salt. Or TOM coming.

If you did better eating what you want, maybe you should try that for a while, actually. Or focus on gaining muscle.
  • AlexB422
    Options
    I thought this was an adult-based website? You're not an adult. =/

I mean, unless you really are, cuz I'd love to go to camp as an adult, looks fun. I never got to as a kid.

It was a cheer camp for my squad. I'm on the team at the college I attend.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is nothing. I can gain that in a couple hours. I also agree that 107-109 is very very thin for your height and quite possibly not healthy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ZOMG!

Seriously, take a look at the sodium content.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There's a rhyme for scientists: "A pint's a pound the world around."

Which means that ONE PINT (2 cups) of liquid weights a pound. You can "gain" or "lose" several pints a day depending on sodium intake, exercise, humidity, etc etc etc. A gain (or loss) of a pound or two in human beings is actually STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT because you vary by more than that across a single day. Further, while they don't advertise it? Most consumer-quality bathroom scales aren't even statistically accurate enough to be able to say that you gained or lost a single pound. The older style scales have a plus/minus on their measurements of FIVE pounds either way, while the newer digital ones are still not accurate to the tenths of a pound that they display.

Long story short? you're not describing "uncontrollable weight gain," you are describing normal daily fluctuations in a healthy body weight.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Are you ****ting me?
  • AlexB422
    Options
    Are you ****ting me?

No. This is odd for me because it has never happened.I'm used to losing weight on my diet, not gain. I had a question about it so I posted about it in Weight Loss Help. Thats it. No need to get upset and use curse stars. lol