NO WEIGHT LOSS AFTER SWIMMING EVERYDAY

Options
2»

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The body will retain extra water during new exercises (water aids in the transportation of materials to fuel repairs in muscle fibers).

Additionally, changes in diet will also cause variations in water retention.

Keep at it for a few more weeks and be encouraged by the fact it WILL eventually start moving provided there is nothing abnormal at play.
  • penny_lane709
    penny_lane709 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. You also don't seem to be eating much real food. If you're a vegetarian where are the vegetables? Where's the fruit? You're not taking care of your body.

Start by figuring out your bmr and tdee and try not to eat below your bmr. Then add more nutritious foods to your daily intake, and eat back your workout calories.

Don't lose hope, you're obviously well motivated, you just need to do some more research on long lasting weight loss. Also when you push your body like that muscles retain water to help heal themselves, so don't freak out yet. Keep up your hard work!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Well I took a look at your diary...keep in mind, I'm no expert...three things screamed at me as I looked through your last week. You are definitely NOT eating enough! You are eating a LOT of "bad carbs" ie: chips, sugar cereals, etc., and there are no vegetables whatsoever! You may be over estimating your exercise calories burned as well, so if you can, try wearing a heart rate monitor as it will give you a much more accurate count for your body. The counters on this site tend to be a little high!

Best of luck and don't give up! Your body is doing something it's not used to. It could very well be figuring out what the heck is going on, and once it does..watch out world :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I technically didn't lose weight after 2-3 weeks at first. That's the most discouraging point but you have to continue. It's now been a bit over a year and I lost what you see in my ticker
  • Lisamay380
    Lisamay380 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree, increase your caloric intake. I would also suggest you drink lots of water (I didn't see any recorded in your diary, unless you're drinking lots and just not recording any). Keep it up, you'll see results!

10930536.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at a few days on your diary, and most days you are not eating back the calories you gain from exercise. This is making your net calories really low, and they should be higher. My advice is to up your calorie intake to at least 15-1600 a day and see if that helps! With super intense workouts, your body isn't getting enough fuel and it is holding on to the fat cells.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Forget the calories/food intake, my post is only about the swimming.

I was a competitive swimmer for 8 years, so Im not just talking out of my *kitten*. Swimming is a great work out. But just like every other work out you have to remember to challenge yourself. Get your heart rate up and do some sets. (eg. 5 x 50 m freestyle sprints with 1 min rest, or 3 x 100 m with 15 secs rest) Look up online at some swim sets, find something that you feel like you can do and work off of that. Remember to warm up, and cool down with some easy laps. Push yourself to do better each time. Swimming is a great work out, and it can be an AMAZING work out if you train hard with it.

My favorite set currently is:

6 x 100 1-free, 1-back
    8 x 75 Choice kick/drill/swim
    12 x 25 Choice: 1 build, 1 dps
    2 Sets of: 12 x 50s
    Set 1: Free – 4 @ 1:00, 4 @ :50, 4 @ :45
    200 back smooth
    Set 2: Choice – 4 @ 1:05, 4 @ :55, 4 @ :50
    200 back smooth
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You need more fat and protein while you're at it!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate then you're not eating enough, and how much water are you drinking? At 200 pounds you should be getting about 100 ounces a day, and keep in mind that swimming will dehydrate you faster than running. Drink more water, eat more calories, and switch to TDEE.

Rigger
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Step 1 - fuel your body more. Add more protein and fats
    Step 2 - Give it time

Your body needs fuel for the workouts and cutting calories too much can cause hormonal reactions to prevent weight loss, but also understand water retention can mask fat loss loss. You need to try something for 4-6 weeks before you change anything or freakout. I would eating around 1600-1800 calories if you are going to exercise like that.