Losing progress from breaks in running?

Options
I’ve been running about every other day for about three weeks. I can run about two miles in 25 minutes. I’m very busy and haven’t been able to run for about five days. Will this make me lose a lot of running progress?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Nope. 10-14 days maybe but even then it won't be too noticeable. Every other day is actually pretty hardcore for a new runner, there's a good chance that the five days rest might actually serve as a really nice break for your body to recuperate. Don't be surprised if you come back even stronger on your next run.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Nah. When it gets cold/rainy I generally will stay inside and use my elliptical/stairstepper instead, and sometimes that goes on for a whole week. Hasn't stopped me from picking right back up where I left off.
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not a lot, but you might have slipped a notch or two on your running fitness. Since you've been running for about 3 weeks and missed the past 5 days, I would drop back to where you were two weeks ago for my starting back point. But that's me. I'm older and now tend to err on the side of caution.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    It will help you. Running every other day for a new runner is not a good idea. The 5 days should be a welcome break for your body.

I suggest you get on a new runner plan like Couch to 5K or similar. Even if you are not training for a race, following a training plan will help ensure you don't over do things. Injuries will sneak up on you and put you out for much longer than 5 days.

Good luck.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Nope. 10-14 days maybe but even then it won't be too noticeable. Every other day is actually pretty hardcore for a new runner, there's a good chance that the five days rest might actually serve as a really nice break for your body to recuperate. Don't be surprised if you come back even stronger on your next run.

↑ this. The extra recovery will probably help you more than hurt you.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It will help you. Running every other day for a new runner is not a good idea. The 5 days should be a welcome break for your body.

I suggest you get on a new runner plan like Couch to 5K or similar. Even if you are not training for a race, following a training plan will help ensure you don't over do things. Injuries will sneak up on you and put you out for much longer than 5 days.

Good luck.

Why isn't running every other day a good idea? What the frequency should be for a new runner?
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

Good luck.

Why isn't running every other day a good idea? What the frequency should be for a new runner?

Running introduces a lot of repetitive high impact stress on muscles/joints/tendons/bones that probably aren't used to it. It's critical to ease yourself into or injury is probable. It's not just more likely, you will get injured or feel pain if you do too much too soon.

Most programs would probably suggest only 2-3 easy runs or run/walks per week to start with a gradual build up in time/miles per run and number of runs per week. As suggested, C25K is a tried and true program but you'll find many different versions of it. Every single one of them will have you start really slow.

Too much (or too fast) too soon is the number one reason beginning runners drop out of the sport.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Running introduces a lot of repetitive high impact stress on muscles/joints/tendons/bones that probably aren't used to it. It's critical to ease yourself into or injury is probable. It's not just more likely, you will get injured or feel pain if you do too much too soon.

Most programs would probably suggest only 2-3 easy runs or run/walks per week to start with a gradual build up in time/miles per run and number of runs per week. As suggested, C25K is a tried and true program but you'll find many different versions of it. Every single one of them will have you start really slow.

Too much (or too fast) too soon is the number one reason beginning runners drop out of the sport.

3 runs a week is basically every other day, that's what C25K lays out.
  • DX2JX2
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Good luck.

I know what you're saying but there can be a big difference between running every other day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) and running 3 times a week (Monday, Thursday, Sunday). Depending on your starting point, 2 days of rest vs. 1 can make a big difference, especially over a multi-week period.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Good luck.

I know what you're saying but there can be a big difference between running every other day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) and running 3 times a week (Monday, Thursday, Sunday). Depending on your starting point, 2 days of rest vs. 1 can make a big difference, especially over a multi-week period.

yes! this.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Its not just running every other day here but doing the same thing each time that can cause problems (assuming the OP running 2 miles in 25 minutes is pushing hard). A good plan will build in entire weeks that have you run much less. You typically build up for a couple weeks and then back off. This basic pattern holds true for all distances. And most of the runs are very easy (not pushing it). For beginners, all the runs are easy.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Will 5 days off lose fitness? Yes.

Will you be able to notice it? Probably not.
    Daniels has a chart for adjusting your training paces based on time off. Under a week is almost nothing