When you have A LOT of weight to lose

Options
Everyone assumes that when you have a lot of weight to lose (150 lbs +) that you should lose a lot of weight per week quickly. I'm always so hard on myself when I have a great week, food and exercise wise, and only lose 1-2 lbs. Even though I have drastically reduced my calories from what I used to eat, it doesn't mean I will lose a lot. It just means I'll stop gaining! In order to lose I still need to be in a calorie deficit in relation to my BMR. I would tend to say that if you have a ton of weight to lose you are not very active so your BMR is probably lower than calculated.

I don't know why it took me so long to realize this but if you have a lot to lose, don't let the pressure of tv shows or other people's opinions (unless medically supervised) dictate how fast you should be losing weight. Do the best you can and don't give up!

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    True. I'm happy with any loss, and I count no loss but no gain either a stale mate. If I gain, I look for reasons why. Walked 3 miles? Muscles hurt like crazy? Check my diary to be on the safe side.. everything looks good there so has to be inflamed muscles and water weight. I look for reasons to be happy.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser was one of the worst shows ever to air on tv. It gave people expectations of losing 10lbs+ every week and had people crying when they "only" lost 5lbs. It was infuriating. And of course they didn't show how extreme it was and why so many put the weight back on after they didn't have Bob and Jillian screaming at them.

1-2lbs a week is great progress. That's 52-104lbs in a year. Amazing! Something to be proud of.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sadly, showing someone calculating their TDEE, measuring and logging their food, and maintaining a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit doesn't make very compelling television. People watch "Hoarders" but they wouldn't watch someone doing weekly cleaning or washing a sink full of dishes. The important thing is to know the difference between reality and "reality programming." We've got to remember not to judge ourselves thinking the extremes shown on television are truly reality.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Sadly, showing someone calculating their TDEE, measuring and logging their food, and maintaining a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit doesn't make very compelling television.

Ha, so true!!