1500 calories is hard to reach

Options
I've cut out all processed foods and started exercising today. It feels like I am always munching and preparing/eating. It has been easy to count my fat/protein and carbs and I keep it around 40grams. But, how do I count calories when I am nibbling on fresh vegetables all day? It seems like a lot of effort. And veggies are so low in calories that I don't believe that I am getting 1400-1500 calories a day. I've been told 1200 is good and if you burn off 200 or so working out you need to increase the amount. I am not at all hungry and feel like I have eaten very well and plentiful. Do most people on this website really always eat 1200-1500 calories a day? Honestly, I'm probably around 800-900 after exercise. Thanks for your input. Seems like if I eat any more whole foods, I'm going to go over 40 g or carbs/protein and fat.

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It is unhealthy for a woman to eat less than 1200 calories, as for snacking on veggies, I prepare (cut count) the day before and put them in snack baggies that way i know how much i'm eating so I can track it better, it doesn't take too long. I'm at work all day so I have to prepare my food a head of time anyway.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I've found that I have the best success when I eat what MFP prescribes for me. If I try to eat less, I usually end up too hungry and craving for things that are bad for me. 800-900 is not enough. If you feel like you can't hit the MFP number, aim for at least 1200 because you don't want to go into starvation mode. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I do 1550 and very rarely go over, except for the bruschetta from Red Lobster, and I feel very satisfied..I don't feel like I am missing anything.
  • kvsweatt
    kvsweatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are excersing you need good carbs to support that energy requirement. Your carbs should be around 60-70% of total calorie intake. Keep your fats to 15-20% and your proteins will take care of the rest. Anything under 1200 calories and you are putting yourself at risk to actually lower your metabolism, not speed it up. I eat around 2000-2200 per day and exersice to burn anywhere from 300- 950 per day. But those days that I do work out hard, I eat alot more beacuse my body tells me too. You have to keep track, that is the only way to really find out. Put your veggies in a container that you have pre-measured and try keeping track that way.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I had the same problem when I cut out all processed foods, and I did not lose a single pound until I started eating more. I started snacking on almonds to help me reach my calorie goal.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I might NET between 1000 - 1200, but I don't think there has been a day since I started using this site in February that I have actually eaten fewer than 1400 calories and I often eat quite a bit more. I keep processed foods to a minimum as well. So, it can be done (and easily, for me at least -- I always feel like I could eat MORE!). My diary is open if you want some ideas (I took last week off of logging, but otherwise I have been as faithful as possible).
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For calorie "boosts" I like to use peanut butter because it's not overly filling--if I can tolerate it, I'll pair it with an unpeeled apple to get some good sugars and fiber. Cheese and whole-wheat crackers is also good, but quite a bit more filling than peanut butter, so less desirable when you aren't feeling hungry. Dipping below 1200 isn't going to freak your body out if it's once or twice, but having a net of 800-900 every day might end up slowing your weight loss down.

Good luck!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    For calorie "boosts" I like to use peanut butter because it's not overly filling--if I can tolerate it, I'll pair it with an unpeeled apple to get some good sugars and fiber. Cheese and whole-wheat crackers is also good, but quite a bit more filling than peanut butter, so less desirable when you aren't feeling hungry. Dipping below 1200 isn't going to freak your body out if it's once or twice, but having a net of 800-900 every day might end up slowing your weight loss down.

Good luck!
    Peanut butter on apples is usually the culprit that puts me over....but I don't feel too badly because it's protein I need and it's better than fries or something!
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I cut out all processed foods, and I did not lose a single pound until I started eating more. I started snacking on almonds to help me reach my calorie goal.
    Ditto. Munch on some healthy nuts like almonds or walnuts. Quick and healthy calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    It is often hard for me to hit my goal (1570) or even 1200 when I am eating unprocessed and mostly fruits and veggies. I do think it is very important to eat at least 1200 (and more if you are exercising). Some ways to boost up calories include good fats like olive oil (really good drizzled on tomatoes or used to saute veggies!), peanut butter with fruit, nuts, or avocado (used in salads, made into healthy guacamole or as a sandwich spread).

My food diary is public if you want to look for ideas... but the last week or so is not great, way too much eating out! :)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    A beer or 2 works for me when I am close. Alcohol is 7 cal per gram and works basically like sugar as far as the body is concerned.
  • nikolerock
    nikolerock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. I appreciate the input. I have all of these foods in the house but it seems like I go way over 40 grams of fat when I attempt to get in the 1400 calories. Maybe I just need to calculate everything I eat (that’s a lot of work). I may be eating 1400 but don't know it. Can I eat more fat if than 40 g if I am working out? Maybe I need to start looking at some recipes that are high in calories but low in carbs and fat. I just feel like I get more variety in my diet if I munch on many different types of foods. I wish I could just throw a glass of red wine in the mix! Lol.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. I appreciate the input. I have all of these foods in the house but it seems like I go way over 40 grams of fat when I attempt to get in the 1400 calories. Maybe I just need to calculate everything I eat (that’s a lot of work). I may be eating 1400 but don't know it. Can I eat more fat if than 40 g if I am working out? Maybe I need to start looking at some recipes that are high in calories but low in carbs and fat. I just feel like I get more variety in my diet if I munch on many different types of foods. I wish I could just throw a glass of red wine in the mix! Lol.

Fat is set as a percentage of calories (usually at 30%) so, yes, if you exercise then your calories to eat and your fat grams will go up. :)

Maybe try logging everything in for a week and see how that goes? I know that what I have been doing is measuring *everything*. I try to keep my "snacking" to easy to measure items like a piece of fruit or something (I know, if I really wanted to be accurate I could measure out the grams of fruit but this is working for now!). I tend to do salads a lot too (well, not this week) so I get a lot of varied foods with that.