Fast Food - where to go and what to get?

Options
I'm doing a little road tripping this weekend and due to certian circumstances I will not be able to pack food for the journey. We are on limited time to get to our destination, so we can't stop for a sit down meal. I am stuck with fast food. At the destination of this trip we have some events that will consist of me consuming a lot of calories, so I need to find some low calorie fast food options.

What fast food places do you like to visit now that you are focused on your health and what do you order from those places?

Thank you for all the ideas!!!

Replies

• amdev23_23
    amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just know, your sodium is going to be out the roof, so drink extra water!

One of my go-to's is chili from Wendy's. It's good and the nutrition is halfway decent (for fast food). Pair it with one of their salads with a light dressing and you're pretty calorie friendly.

Taco Bell's fresco style soft tacos aren't half bad calorie wise either, I wanna say 160 each. A couple of those make a decent meal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most places have salads. Just watch the calories in certain toppings and dressings. At your events, portion control is your friend!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are

Panera 1/2 classic turkey on sour dough lettuce tomato onion spicy mustard and 1/2 classic cafe salad with poppyseed dressing instead and a fruit cup (comes up to like <300 calories)

Subway half inch turkey sub on ww

Subway turkey salad with every single veg and the fat free italian (<200)

Taco bell shredded chicken soft taco (180 calories)

Fast food can be very low calorie if you choose wisely! I always get a salad or low calorie option :). Always get dressing on the side or even bring a bottle of your own low calorie dressing.

Mcdonalds egg white sandwich is low in calories as well as many other egg white options at other fast food places.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    amdev23_23 wrote: »

One of my go-to's is chili from Wendy's. It's good and the nutrition is halfway decent (for fast food). Pair it with one of their salads with a light dressing and you're pretty calorie friendly.

Taco Bell's fresco style soft tacos aren't half bad calorie wise either, I wanna say 160 each. A couple of those make a decent meal.

I think the shredded chicken tacos fresco style are 140. DON'T get the burritos. Total basura.

Sodium will be killer.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you can stop at grocery stores and pick up healthy snacks and lunches. Avoid eating fast food for all of your meals!
    If I'm cutting it close to my daily calorie goals I get salads, wraps and chicken sandwiches. Yesterday I was way under my calorie goal and hangry so I stopped at Churches and got a 3 piece tender meal and I ended my day still under my calorie goal so I dont feel bad.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The good thing about fast food is they typically list the calories for everything right on the menu, so I don't think you'll have an issue deciding what to eat on the fly. I agree that you'll need water (not coffee or diet soda!) to balance out that sodium intake, and you'll want to get salads often.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A lot of places really aren't all that bad.

A crispy chicken sandwich at Wendy's is only 510 calories.
    Pico Guacamole grilled chicken sandwich from McD's is 520 calories.
    3 hard tacos from Taco Bell are the same.
    A steak burrito bowl from Chipotle is 515 calories (incl. rice, veggies, salsa, and cheese.)
    A 6" Subway turkey sub with cheese and mayo is 470 cals.

Just some examples. Skip the fries and chips and that will help a lot.
    All these fast food chains have info on their websites so take the time to look some up and make a list of which items fit your calorie goals.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My go-to fast food is...

Subway: most 6" subs minus the cheese
    Wendy's: plain baked potato with butter and small chili OR a spicy chicken sandwich OR large chili
    Chick Fil A: chicken sandwich and skip the fries OR chicken tortilla soup OR nuggets with side salad
    Fazoli's: half of any meal or their pick 2 lunch deal and zero or 1 breadstick
    MCD's: breakfast sandwich and yogurt parfait
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    amdev23_23 wrote: »

I LOOVEEEEEE Wendy's chili. And add the chili sauce.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I plan for stops in my calories ahead of time, website's from various fast food restaurants allow you get a good estimate on the calories. I also carry my own sweetener (liquid stevia) for coffee and unsweetened tea.

Chick fil et: 8 or 12 piece grilled nuggets, side salad (may or may not opt for a small fry)

McDonald's: Egg White Grill deluxe, hash brown, black coffee, tea or diet drink

Wendy's: Plain baked potato, small chili, may or may not add a side salad

Wendy's: Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, side salad

Taco Bell: Soft or crunchy tacos, or soft taco supreme

just to name a few..

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wendy's plain baked potato topped with a small chili.

Arby's Turkey Gyro (light or no sauce).

Burger King Whopper Jr (light or no sauce).
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Most places have salads. Just watch the calories in certain toppings and dressings. At your events, portion control is your friend!

That is what I'm working on and it seems to be what is kicking my weight loss journey.
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    Thank-you @magster4isu for starting this thread... LOTS of great ideas.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken Salad is delish, the full one is 560 cals and pretty great. Chick-Fil-A has a delicious Grilled Chicken Club that's 430 cals and a Grilled Market Salad that's 330 cals. Map out your route, plan your stops ahead of time, and look up their menus online to tailor your meals for you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A lot of places have salads.
    I might get a regular burger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened iced tea.
    I sometimes split fries with someone.

Subway you can pick and choose what goes on your sandwich. If you go light on condiments and cheese it isn't too bad.

Don't forget grocery stores/convenience stores along the way where you might get more options of food or drinks as well.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's Fresco tacos are a staple of my fast food diary adds. I go there at least a couple of times a week. Also (and I have to thank the people of these forums for this one) but Panda Express has now been added to the rotation with several selections under 500 cals. Chick-Fil-A rounds out my top 3. The grilled sandwich and cool wrap are my go to's. Also, Chick-Fil-A has a breakfast sandwich called the egg white grill that is phenomenal. If the AM lines at my local Chick-Fil-A did not routinely stretch from here to China, I would get it more often.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people have mentioned Subway. It's definitely one of the healthier fast food options. If I eat there, I ask the server to hull out the middle of the bread. It'll save you some calories and you can add more veggies. I also don't add cheese since you really don't notice it anyway. If you can avoid mayo and just add mustard or no condiment at all, your sandwich can be pretty low calorie. A ham or turkey 6 inch with hulled out bread, veggies and mustard is around 250 cals. Safe travels!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sodium is always going to be off the charts. Pretty much figure your entire daily allotment of sodium in one fast food meal, so as suggested, drink lots of water to compensate. Some of my favorites:

Subway! Any sub on the menu, and their chopped salads are pretty darn good. Skip the dressing and use your own low calorie version.
    Applebees: Lighter Fare menu, most are really good, especially the salads.
    Arby's: Seem to be higher protein and lower fat than most burger places. You may want to stay away from the sides, they are horrible for calories.
    McDonald's: Wraps, Salads, or some breakfast sandwiches (Egg White Delight) are pretty good.
    Taco Bell: Depending on what you order it's not all bad on the calories but isn't going to be the lowest option.

Pretty much any seafood you find is going to be fried in oil and that's going to hike up the calories. LJS probably has some baked versions that aren't terrible but I don't find them very flavorful either.

I personally stick with Subway or Arby's. If we want to sit down somewhere I go for Applebees or look for the lighter or lower calorie menu, many places will have them. You can't really trust the calorie count to be that accurate, but it's good for an estimate.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Wendy has several salads which are great- I love the power Mediterranean salad-(I always get the half size), the apple chicken pecan is awesome as well- both for half size are within 250-350 calories. I like any burger place- BUT I get the regular( kids) burger no mayo and LOTS of veggies.