Meditation

Options
taunishay
taunishay Posts: 34 Member
Does anyone meditate, how do you do it? How long? How do you feel after?

Replies

• taunishay
    Options
    The sarcasm is strong in these replies
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    taunishay wrote: »

Welcome to chit chat :)
  • taunishay
    Options

Welcome to chit chat :)

Thank you
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Maybe post in health and fitness :wink:

There's an app that a lot of podcasters I listen to recommend. Headspace. It's free for a bit as a trial, but then it's a subscription, I think.

Try to find some guided meditations on youtube or in podcasts.
  • taunishay
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Maybe post in health and fitness :wink:

There's an app that a lot of podcasters I listen to recommend. Headspace. It's free for a bit as a trial, but then it's a subscription, I think.

Try to find some guided meditations on youtube or in podcasts.

Thank you! This is actually super helpful
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Use the force, Luke.

(admit it, when you read that you heard his voice in your mind saying it. Admit it!)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You want to clear your mind and try to think of nothing for exactly 1 minute and 9 seconds. Any longer or shorter is pointless.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »
    You want to clear your mind and try to think of nothing for exactly 1 minute and 9 seconds. Any longer or shorter is pointless.

I thought it was 150 seconds?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

Wrong. It's exactly 69 seconds.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually start out concentrating on my breathing and then just living in the moment. Noticing the way my body feels, noises around me but not judging or worrying. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
  • taunishay
    Options
    I like to meditate at night, if I'm not too tired...in the attempt of lucid dreaming.

This is once everything is done...everybody is quiet...I'm not alone, but alone.

Lay in bed, on my back...arms to my side.

I visualize a rope coming through my chest...and imaginary arms, mine...pulling on the rope.

Sometimes it works, and when it does...it's really awesome. It's called 'wake induced lucid dreaming', and while it sounds totally crazy...it's a real thing.

There's a number of YouTube tutorials...however, sometimes they have various spiritual or philosophical ideas describing "metaphysics" of what is happening. Disregard all of that. Just have the experience, and you can figure it out for yourself.

It works.

First time was by accident...

I have heard of this but was too terrified to try it.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I use guided meditation from 10 to 20 minutes depending on the day with the Headspace phone app OP it helps if you're just getting started.

• taunishay
    Options
    ZodFit wrote: »
    I use guided meditation with the Headspace phone app OP it helps if you're just getting started. Eventually I will mediate solo but for now the app keeps me focused

That's what I'm lacking for sure is focus... breathe, what bills am i forgetting? Breathe, I'm going to fall asleep
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I probably do what could be considered meditation when I jog.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @aeloine wrote: »

Wrong. It's exactly 69 seconds.

You need to experience some time in MFP jail. It's 150 seconds.
  • taunishay
    Options
    I like to meditate at night, if I'm not too tired...in the attempt of lucid dreaming.

This is once everything is done...everybody is quiet...I'm not alone, but alone.

Lay in bed, on my back...arms to my side.

I visualize a rope coming through my chest...and imaginary arms, mine...pulling on the rope.

Sometimes it works, and when it does...it's really awesome. It's called 'wake induced lucid dreaming', and while it sounds totally crazy...it's a real thing.

There's a number of YouTube tutorials...however, sometimes they have various spiritual or philosophical ideas describing "metaphysics" of what is happening. Disregard all of that. Just have the experience, and you can figure it out for yourself.

It works.

First time was by accident...

I have heard of this but was too terrified to try it.

It's not dangerous. It's an altered state of consciousness...it's not magic.

It's pretty interesting, though...You won't get possessed by demons or talk to aliens or anything...unless you want to be...

tbh, probably the source of many reports of alien abductions and demons and monsters is misunderstood lucid dreams turned nightmare.

Obviously, there's no way to substantiate that...but it would be fine. It will be like...flying around your neighborhood. You'll be surprised how real it feels.

I had read to be careful, you can't find your way back?
  • taunishay
    Options
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    I probably do what could be considered meditation when I jog.

That's seems to be about the only time for me too.