H2O

I am having the most difficult time drinking water. It's not that I don't like water, I do. I just can't remember to drink water or anything for that matter. Sometimes I look back at the end of the day and say, "Wow, I haven't had anything to drink except my coffee in the morning." What are some tricks or ideas that others use to remember to drink their 8 glasses a day?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    The 8 glasses of water a day is just a figure plucked out of mid air by a water producer ( vittel I think Google if you're interested) so actually has no basis in medical advice. Drinking wate thoughr is good but there is water in your coffee your food as well. So it doesn't have to be just water to stay hydrated. Don't stress over the 8 glasses thing. If you're thirsty drink and make sure you drink if exercising.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I am having the most difficult time drinking water. It's not that I don't like water, I do. I just can't remember to drink water or anything for that matter. Sometimes I look back at the end of the day and say, "Wow, I haven't had anything to drink except my coffee in the morning." What are some tricks or ideas that others use to remember to drink their 8 glasses a day?

I'd avoid water, it contains chemicals
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Water definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages. Water will help curb your appetite and eat less when drinking it with meals. However, you can retain water if there is too much salt in your diet (learned that the hard way). It can be frustrating when you are trying to lose weight and holding onto stubborn extra water. Salads carry lots of water.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member

I make myself drink 32 ounces of water as soon as I get up in the morning and used the bathroom. Then, I drink 32 ounces of water after my workout. And, I also only drink water durning my meals. Drinking water is something that I "make" myself do.
  • wendygjc
    wendygjc Posts: 45 Member
    I wonder if it really curbs your appetite????????????
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    I have one of those liter bottles that I carry with me wherever I go. I have no qualms about drinking tap water, so I just fill that thing up a few times a day. If there's a bottle of water constantly sitting at your elbow, trust me, you'll drink it, if only out of compulsion.
  • I have a big 32 oz bottle that I fill up with water and ice several times a day. Water is important in helping you lose weight, it helps your body release stored water (believe it or not to get rid of bloating you need to drink more water), plus it helps with appetite control - sometimes when you think you are hungry in reality you are just thirsty.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    I carry a water bottle around with me all day, refilling it constantly. My job requires us to drink a certain amount of water during the day, due to the heat.

I like water because it helps flush excess sodium out of my body so I don't retain water weight. I can tell with my daily fluxuations if I drank enough water the day before; I try to do the one ounce per half pound of current weight (168*.5=84, drink 84 ounces, for current example). I drink around 8-10 ounces a half hour before eating, so my stomach has less room for food.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I try to gulp down a glass of water every time I go to the bathroom. In the morning and right before I go to bed it's easy because I'm taking pills, so it's sort of become a habit now. I don't stress over "8 glasses a day" either.
  • kissyfur26
    kissyfur26 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for the help :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Sodium will cause you to retain water - but that means you need to drink MORE water to flush out your system.

Carry a bottle with you at all times, in your handbag, in the car, on your desk etc.

Often when you feel hungry it's really that you're thirsty, so try drinking a glass of water whenever you feel hungry. But really, it's just a case of building up a habit.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    I read the other day that it's really 39 mls per kg of weight, so diff for everyone. I haven't worked it out yet but I drink 8-12 glasses a day easy.

2 glasses with breakfast. 1 3 glass bottle during the morning. 1 3 glass bottle during the afternoon. 1 3 glass bottle in the evening. More if I'm working out. I add lemon or lime or fresh mint or green tea to it sometimes but right now I've had a shocking week so I prefer it fresh and clean as it feels like it's washing the bad stuff away.

I never used to. I had to force the habit, but now it's ingrained.
  • emzyloo88
    emzyloo88 Posts: 145 Member
    Sounds strange but I actually get head aches drinking lots. :(..however I stick to around 2 litres a day ;)
    x
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    If I feel hungry but I know I've eaten enough I always reach for a drink before more food, I have no added sugar squash to make it more interesting & log the cals :)
  • roflsauce
    roflsauce Posts: 21
    Drink water every time you eat. Try drinking if you feel like you want to eat something (not hungry, just feeling like eating).

Water is important, it really is. To the people saying "Don't drink any because you can retain it." Or "You don't need to drink 8 glasses a day because the water companies made that up to make money". Wat.

I live in Sweden, you'll have a hard time finding water in bottles if it isn't carbonated. And even if you would find some, no one here would buy it. We still have recommendations on water consumption, the same as any other country.

If you can't use tap water, buy stacks of it. Have it around your house, bring to work just keep it around. If you feel peckish drink some. I'm a big dude, 6'8" 330 pounds, I drink about 4 liters (135 ounces) a day.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Sodium will cause you to retain water - but that means you need to drink MORE water to flush out your system.

Carry a bottle with you at all times, in your handbag, in the car, on your desk etc.

Often when you feel hungry it's really that you're thirsty, so try drinking a glass of water whenever you feel hungry. But really, it's just a case of building up a habit.

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • joejohnston86
    joejohnston86 Posts: 1 Member
    I had a hard time drinking water at work because the tap water was terrible. I purchased a Brita filtered water bottle and it tastes great. I fill it up at least twice in the afternoons to stay hydrated. Go pee, Refill, Go pee, refill.

Plus every time I get up out of my desk I am moving my body.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I'm miserable if I get dehydrated. Aren't you?
    Put a cup in your bathroom. Drink some before you step in the shower, and a cup after you step out of the shower. That's a good start.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    a) drinking water doesn;t lead to water retention. If you're retaining water it's likely because you're not drinking enough water.
    b) plonk a big bottle of water on your desk, or take a sports bottle with you and fill it from the cooler whenever you get up to go somewhere.
    c) drink responsibly
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Sounds strange but I actually get head aches drinking lots. :(..however I stick to around 2 litres a day ;)
    x

drinking too much water will deplete your electrolytes/ or imbalance them. eat some salt and/or bananas to get your levels back up, usually works for me.
    Drinking lots of water and not replacing salts makes me all dizzy/tingly scalp.