low sodium lunch meat

Options
bluesmama5000
bluesmama5000 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone know of a true low sodium lunch meat? Most are 460 for 2 ounces. Since 3 or 4 ounces is a serving when you're looking to lose weight that is not good. Most of the time I cook my own meat, but it would be nice to have a break now and then.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even the low sodium versions are pretty high, but the question is, why do you care about sodium? Do you have hypertension or anything, because sodium isn't as bad as once thought. And if you are afraid you will retain water, then you should drink plenty of fluids, and eat foods high in potassium/magnesium since they will balance sodium.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    The lowest I've seen is Columbus low sodium turkey which I get at Trader Joe's. It's 220 mg per 2 oz.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There apparently is a boar's head low sodium line out now, but I haven't seen it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the columbus turkey, (they also have good turkey bacon), I get it at costco. Its tastes and looks like turkey. Its not like the normal processed lunch meat.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head. Their no salt added turkey breast is only 55 mg for a 2 oz serving and the low sodium deluxe roast beef is only 80 mg for a 2 oz serving.

Bonus: they are really tasty!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Boar's Head. Their no salt added turkey breast is only 55 mg for a 2 oz serving and the low sodium deluxe roast beef is only 80 mg for a 2 oz serving.

Bonus: they are really tasty!!!

I need me some of that roast beef!
  • ys6108
    ys6108 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The Boar's Head No Salt added turkey is AMAZING. I roll up a slice and eat it like plain when I need a protein snack.