>50lbs - How much and how long?

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to give myself some realistic time based goals. I think it'll help me keep motivated.

I need to lose 60lbs (60 to top of target, past that I'll decide later).

My question is this - how much did you lose, and how long did it take you?

Bonus if you didn't do any specific diet (ex keto, pales, low/no carb, vegan) - nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to lose1# a month and did (mostly) exactly what it said. I ate well, but not perfectly on no specific plan. It took me a year to lose 50#, so pretty much dead on target at about 1800 cals
  • sallvcg1862
    sallvcg1862 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    53 lbs/7 months/just CICO
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I set MFP to lose1# a month and did (mostly) exactly what it said. I ate well, but not perfectly on no specific plan. It took me a year to lose 50#, so pretty much dead on target at about 1800 cals

Is # lb or kg?

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

Is # lb or kg?

That would be pounds - and I'd guess that @nowine4me made a typo and meant 1lb per week rather than per month. :)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    Thanks. It's taken me 2 years to lose 40lbs, but there have been a lot of very long breaks, and I've never gained back more than 5lbs so I consider it successful.

The reason I put that in is because while the frequency and quantity may change, pizza and cake and chips, etc, are never going to be out of the picture for me, so the journey of someone on like a strict keto diet is just not going to be the same as mine.

It's great to have an idea of what's going to work best for you (and what won't) and to set reasonable expectations based on that. :) I knew that any "diet" that didn't allow for chocolate was doomed to failure, so I needed to make sure I could have it regularly! After a few months, I didn't crave it as much as I used to anyway.

Everyone's journey is individual, and it's not a race... doesn't matter how slowly you lose the pounds. :) Well done on your 40lbs, and it's definitely a success to have kept it off!
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 months in 2016 to lose about 58 pounds. I went from 88-90Kg to 60-62kg (so 28kg loss in total). Have been maintaining at between 60 and 65kg for a year (hit 65kg in our winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, but is already back down to 63kg atm)

It was done purely through CICO with exercise (mostly walking/jogging and some weights).

If you are well disciplined and log everything you eat/do you will reap the benefits!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When I was morbidly obese I could consistently lose upwards of 10 lbs / month. Since being overweight it's been more like 7 lbs / month - trending gradually downwards from one to the other. I have been eating and exercising about the same, it's just that my daily energy expenditure is lower since I am lower weight, so the same calories which used to put me at slightly more than 2 lbs /wk deficit now give me a 1.5 lbs / wk deficit. I expect that by the time I reach normal weight, it will slow to one lb / wk or less.

I'm a diabetic so I do restrict carbs, but I don't do keto, just generally less than 45g / meal and avoiding specific foods which I have observed to spike my glucose levels using my meter. I also work out at high intensity at least 15 minutes a day, or 30 minutes at moderate, or 1 hr at low intensity, plus strength training.

Everyone is different, as long as you're headed in the right direction it doesn't matter how fast you're going.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Took me 5 and a half months to lose 50.6 lbs. (I started in January at 300). I didn't do any specific program or diet, just CICO in fact I wasn't even on MFP or tracking calories then.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the timeframe, just start right now.
  • A409302
    A409302 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi - No, my hair, nails and stamina are awesome! I am extremely energetic and really happy. I couldn't feel better actually. But, regarding your comments, I won't bother leaving comments any more on my success. I didn't mean to break rules or imply anyone do what I am doing. I just put what worked for me and that's it. I needed to drop weight for a couple of weddings this summer and felt helpless at logging, weighing food, walking ALOT and not seeing the weight go down, so I said ok - I will cut back the food, get where I want and then go back to 1200 calories which I am now and keeping the weight where I am. Best Wishes everyone. Good luck and keep going!
  • 2mailmonica
    2mailmonica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Took me 5 and a half months to lose 50.6 lbs. (I started in January at 300). I didn't do any specific program or diet, just CICO in fact I wasn't even on MFP or tracking calories then.

• 2mailmonica
    2mailmonica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is CICO?
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    What is CICO?

It means "Calories In Calories Out" - basically the whole idea behind the MFP method, that if your CI (the amount you eat/drink) is less than your CO (the amount of calories you burn, including just by living), then you will lose weight regardless of any specific "diet" you might follow.

It's why a lot of us like being able to still eat treats and foods that other methods might cut out, because all you need to do is learn to eat less of the things you enjoy rather than feeling deprived by avoiding them completely. :)

It's also why all those named diets and meal replacement options etc. work - because they cause you to be in a calorie deficit (eating less than you burn) without having to actually count calories. Unfortunately, most of them don't teach portion control, so when you stop the program you risk regaining the weight.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Congrats and good luck on continued success.

Feel free to keep posting though.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 59lbs since I had my baby June of last year. I tried quite a few different things and took 2 intentional maintenence breaks in that time period. I personally enjoyed trying several different methods and finding what worked best for my own body. Right now I really enjoy what Im doing...fasting between 7pm-11am. Eating clean with about 1-2 cheat meals a week, staying within a general calorie range, being mindful (but not super meticulous) about my macros, and working out. Everyone has a different opinion on whats best. Honestly, I think it ends up being different for everyone. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the journey and experimenting. You will get there ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!