Low Blood Pressure

Options
Checked my blood pressure a few minutes ago and found it to be 91/49. A colleague at work noticed I was falling asleep regularly every day and suggested it was a sign of Low Blood Pressure.

Any opinions on this? Is there anything I can do in the My Fitness Pal scheme of things to correct this?

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That's quite low, especially the 49. You might want to see a doctor and see if there's any other issue. What's your heart rate?

Normal can be as low as 90/60, per the internet, but if you are falling asleep it could be an issue. I knew someone (in her 70s) who needed a pacemaker because her bp was low AND her heartbeat irregular, she was exhausted all the time. I'm not saying this is your case.

I have fairly low blood pressure (but in the normal range) and it's usually not a medical concern unless you have symptoms. Interestingly, being dehydrated can lower your bp. My BF had a couple incidents of fainting, his pressure was so low. He's supposed to eat more salt and be careful about being hydrated, plus, just has to be careful not to get up too fast.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to get compression stockings & up my salt intake. For me, that worked. You should talk to your doctor about your symptoms and concerns asap.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How did you check your pressure? If it was a proper BP cuff then you should pop to see the doctor.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    My doctor told me to get compression stockings & up my salt intake. For me, that worked. You should talk to your doctor about your symptoms and concerns asap.

Thanks. Will do.

Hardly like the suggestion of increasing salt intake, but we'll see what happens next.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    cjsacto wrote: »
    That's quite low, especially the 49. You might want to see a doctor and see if there's any other issue. What's your heart rate?

Normal can be as low as 90/60, per the internet, but if you are falling asleep it could be an issue. I knew someone (in her 70s) who needed a pacemaker because her bp was low AND her heartbeat irregular, she was exhausted all the time. I'm not saying this is your case.

I have fairly low blood pressure (but in the normal range) and it's usually not a medical concern unless you have symptoms. Interestingly, being dehydrated can lower your bp. My BF had a couple incidents of fainting, his pressure was so low. He's supposed to eat more salt and be careful about being hydrated, plus, just has to be careful not to get up too fast.

Thanks for your response. The Heart Rate on that reading was 98. At the moment I think I'm eating okay, but my level of exercise has dropped off in recent weeks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Possible that you are feeling tired because your brain is not getting enough blood, but you need a professional to conduct a full examination. Schedule an appointment with your physician. This is not something to resolve over the internet.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mine runs 90/60 usually.

That is my normal....I do however find it can cause issues if I don't stay hydrated....

But if it is causing issues even tho I am hydrated yah I would see my doctor first.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 90/60 too. It was only an issue for me if it was couple with low blood glucose (from a higher carb diet and BG swings). More salt does help.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's my normal, but it always runs that low so my drs aren't concerned. If that's not your normal you should see a dr asap.
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Another adding to the see a doctor chorus. That sounds like my blood pressure unmedicated, I'm now on a vasoconstrictor to raise my blood pressure because I have a habit of losing consciousness when it hovers low. I feel so much better with my blood pressure a little higher. And yes, upping your sodium intake can help in the meantime, my cardiologist has told me before to eat more potato chips, which is a weird thing to hear out of a cardiologist. I also have to watch my caffeine intake because caffeine is a vasodilator. And I'm super careful with things like hot tubs and long, hot showers, as those can cause drops in blood pressure. Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are dehydrated and also, I would look into having your vitamin D levels checked. Please get checked out though. I have fainted in the past from having a low blood pressure.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Will report back with any findings from the professionals.