What do you do to move on after a binge?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I just log it and move on. I've been at maintenance weight for years and I actually do something like you did once or twice a month. No harm done. If you're trying to lose, it will just slow down your loss a bit.

The worst thing is to beat yourself up for something many of us do. Many, many of us. Some people are "moderators" and some are . . .not. :) You're okay.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Stop it.

Possibly least helpful comment ever.

Oh sorry. :( OP, please continue to binge.

Yes, by saying your reductive comment was unhelpful I meant that binge behaviour was a-ok. Should I put a sarcasm tag on that so you don't run away with some other inference I never made?

I imagine people in the grip of compulsive and complex psychological difficulties coming in and reading your comment and being stunned at how simple the answer was all this time. Just stop it? Genius!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Like others are saying: drink water, avoid buying things you know are your downfall (I freaking love that Biscoff cookie spread and can eat it by the spoon, so I don't buy it). I like to take a shower so my skin feels better. I also usually go to bed early or take a nap, as sleeping helps me re-set. Then the next day I keep to a decent but not extreme deficit.

The other day I went out with a friend and probably ate 3700 calories between booze and food, so I was way over maintenance. Yesterday I did some exercise and didn't eat it back, so my deficit was a little larger than normal (I also just wasn't as hungry thanks to all the extra calories), and today it will be a deficit, too. I'm back to where I was. And I had fun eating and drinking that day, so I don't regret it.

I used to have an eating disorder, too, so occasional binges are still hard for me to process. But I'm much better than I used to be.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you done that? Thought about why you binged? Have you been undereating? Depriving yourself? Why did you have access to a ridiculous number of Oreos, and how many is that in terms of calories?

If you think you can do something to "uneat" the cookies, you're playing with magical thinking. Just the idea that you have to do anything besides log it and shrug, can worsen tendencies of disordered eating, if you already have that.

Ex-ED sufferer so theoretically I can "uneat" pretty much anything... lolol.
    That is so sad in such a quirky way and so funny in a sad way. I want to give you a hug.
    But point taken. I only had access to (1000 calories of Oreos) because I was stupid and bought them. I won't do it again.
    1000 calories isn't that much. It will set you back with less than half a pound.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have done that more than once this year, but I'm still down a third of my way to goal (45 pounds lost).

Drink some water.

Rest for a while until you don't feel like barfing. While you're resting log it and pay attention to how you feel. Try to feel how bad you physically feel, but don't attach emotions to the way you feel, just focus on the physical sensations. You're trying to remember them so that the next time you're tempted to eat the ENTIRE bag of tater tots (my lunch Tuesday, I told you I understood), you'll remember that feelings and think it isn't worth the few moments of pleasure for those hours of discomfort.

Then do some light cardio. Walk for fifteen minutes. I rode my stationary bike slowly for half an hour, because walking is sometimes painful for me due to an abnormal knee. That hams always worked magic on me to make me feel less stuffed, but it must be light cardio and you must be past the point where you feel like everything's going to come up. If you didn't reach that phase, great! Do your thinking on your walk.

Then forgive yourself and move on. Remember that it took me (I don't know your stats, so I'm using mine as an example) 37 to pile on 307 pounds and one year to take off 45. That's 36 years of habits, thought patterns, and beliefs to overcome, verus one year of better behavior. Of course it's hard.

Would you yell at your best friend of she ate 1000 calories of Oreos? Would you think she's gross and a failure and doomed to be fat (or whatever negative thought patterns you personally have)? Probably not, I wouldn't.

So why treat yourself that way?

Start over the next meal and go on. You're in this for life. One binge isn't going to do more than set you back by a couple days at most.

Repeat these steps every time you do this, because your may well do this more than once, you've got years of habits to undo. That takes time and patience. Eventually, if you keep at it, you'll get there.

I'm getting better and better at saying no to myself, you can too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really binge, but I do overeat on occasion...IDK...I just move on...it's not something I think about or dwell on.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    read this
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-art-of-the-*kitten*-up/

just change *kitten* to the F word so it will go to the site. It's a good article. It made me feel better when I had a binge a while ago.