Sugar is NOT My friend

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sugar's not in the fat-free yogurt I buy, though. (Norman's fat-free double-protein)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    SuzMar17 wrote: »
    dani_1977 wrote: »
    Wow... I'm always so surprised at the back and forth on this website. Can't we all just agree, to understand that NOT one of us are the same. What works you may not work for all.

Some people are addicted to alcohol. Some are not, and can drink in moderation......some can't .

I find sugar to be extremely addictive. So, I myself can not practice "every thing moderation" when it comes to sweet/sugary items. I get my sugar from natural sources, fruits,veggies, whole grains, agave & raw honey.

I am 50 days almost days in and I have no real cravings. When previously it was daily!!! I will say I did this before, but what I didn't change was white bread and pasta. I have pretty much removed it from my diet, this time around. I can completely tell that this has assisted majorly in helping lower my cravings for sugar even around my T.O.M. !!!

To each, his own.

I also know plenty of folks who practice " everything in moderation". Fitting the sweet treats in to their daily caloric allowance, it works for them.

Find what works for you. But if fitting sugar in your daily allowance doesn't work out. Give it two weeks to detox ( eliminating sugary treats for 2 weeks) and see how you feel.

Exactly what she said!!! Yes, everyone is very different and I can say I am or had sugar addiction....not meaning I need to eat Twinkies, candy cars, soda....SUGAR is in every food, it's amazing how much sugar is loaded in something like yogurt that even is low fat, low calorie. Once I really cut those sugars in the beginning I get headaches, feel tired so that is what I refer to as sugar being addictive. So, you just have to be mindful and this app will help. In the beginning is very hard but then it will be easier....

Low fat natural yoghurt is not loaded with sugar. It has slightly more lactose (sugar) than full fat, because it has less fat.

You likely get headaches because when you reduce sugar, you're reducing carbs. Your body will drop water, and your electrolyte balance would be out.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Billiejo77 wrote: »
    Sugar is in fact very addictive, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144, i always find myself wanting/needing it, the only thing i've found that helps me is self control, it's a mind/craving thing, good luck to you fannydavis21

The summary from the article you linked to:

;SUMMARY:
    The biological robustness in the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward may be sufficient to explain why many people can have difficultly to control the consumption of foods high in sugar when continuously exposed to them.

This does not say that sugar is addictive - it says that people may have a hard time controlling themselves.

Thanks for posting this - since I was too lazy to read the study!

Some people really do have a very hard time controlling themselves when they are continuously exposed to foods high in sugar. Including me. Those of us who are affected like this are not morally inferior, stupid or crazy. There's a biological component to this related to insulin and other hormones - possibly discussed in the study listed above. (I'll get to it!)

I haven't yet learned how to moderate, though I hope one day I will. If I eat a high sugar treat, all I can think of for days afterwards is eating another high sugar treat. The cravings can come once every half hour throughout the day, and it's exhausting to keep saying "No!" These cravings are intense, and it's difficult to turn them off.

The only thing that turns them off for me is abstinence. If I can get through 3 - 4 days without added sugar or flour, I notice a drastic change in my thoughts and impulses. Life becomes much more peaceful and I feel in control. I've finally realized that's more important to me than a donut.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    yeah, well, there's physical addiction and psychological addiction. Because a substance is not addictive per se does not mean a person wont develop a psychological response to it.