Which is better, soy or protein

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
I'm confused about which is best. Soy protein powder or "just" protein powder for shakes/smoothies? Your thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    By "just" protein powder I'm assuming you are referring to whey protein. Whey is a by-product of dairy and soy is non-dairy. Pick a product that has low calories, low sugar (carbs), and high protein. It isn't "which is better soy or whey" it is which specific product suites your needs. People that are lactose intolerant do well with soy protein products, while I've found that there are a lot more whey options (and ones that taste WAY better as well). I hope that helps with your question.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    All protein powders are derived from some kind of source, so there really is no "just protein" protein powder. The choices are numerous (whey, casein, soy, pea, hemp, rice, egg, etc.). Some people have some very strong ideas about which ones are "optimal" and I'm sure they will chime in.

I used to really like whey and casein protein until I decided to drastically reduce the amount of animal protein in my diet (whey and casein are both derived from milk). I have also cut back on the amount of protein I'm getting in general so I haven't found as much need for supplements, but I have been tossing in a tablespoon or two of a hemp protein powder into my oatmeal and into a post-workout shake.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of articles around the internet about the negatives of soy, none seem to have much solid research backing them. Whey is the typical workout drink. Right now I'm using VPX Zero Carb protein which is whey and only 80 calories with low sodium.

Bodybuilding.com actually has some pretty good info on the uses of the different types of protein.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I ask is that I'm trying to follow the "Eating for Life" plan and I need to start drinking smoothies/shakes and stuff 'cause it is quick in the mornings. I was wondering if there is a difference as far as which keeps you fuller longer with the better nutrition. I guess, when it comes down to it, just like everything else, follow the label...:ohwell:

Thanks everyone!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I ask is that I'm trying to follow the "Eating for Life" plan and I need to start drinking smoothies/shakes and stuff 'cause it is quick in the mornings. I was wondering if there is a difference as far as which keeps you fuller longer with the better nutrition. I guess, when it comes down to it, just like everything else, follow the label...:ohwell:

Thanks everyone!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

If you're looking for keeping you fuller longer, casein protein is going to be what is recommended as a slower digesting protein source. After reading a bit about T. Colin Campbell's rat studies, however, I'm pretty wary of casein (and dairy in general). I don't tend to find anything in smoothie form to be particularly "long-lasting", though. I think you might get more staying-power out of real food. Honestly, a bowl of old fashioned oats with water or milk cooks up in the microwave in about 2 minutes (interestingly enough, the same amount of time it would take to heat the water to cook up one of those instant oatmeal packets, and far less expensive). Add some fruit, some peanut butter, or whatever and enjoy.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If that is what you are looking for you might want to look into more of a meal replacement sort of thing.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mrps.html

There is a list of products, not trying to push the site but it is a good resource and you can buy wherever you like. Isagenix might also be something to look into. the shakes they sell are pretty good, can't say the same for the rest of the program.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with kaitlinj, smoothies leave me hungry and irritable in about an hour. I drink them on occasion when I know I have the calories and am going to be eating in a couple of hours anyway. For breakfast I have found some steel cut oats with nuts in it. I make a big batch then nuke em up in the AM. Keeps me full and seems to balance the blood sugar or something.

I am not saying not to try smoothies, just sharing my experience in case you find your body works in a similar way.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I was in boot camp to lose weight, our trainer tried to instill in us the importance of choosing the right protein powder. According to him, a Soy-based protein powder is usually used by people who want to put on weight and since it is vegetable based, it doesn't supply all the nutrients your body would need and takes a long time to digest. Whey protein is high in amino acids which are necessary for muscle recovery and digests quickly. With the Whey products, he always recommended that it contain Casein, which is a component of milk.