Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you bother weighing yourself if you're on your period?

13»

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    ^^same. I find that alcohol and bad food decisions effect my weight more than my hormones!
    OMG yes! I don't drink often but when I do, the weight is on and hard to shake off. And also, it affects my digestive system (as in not being able to move my bowels for 3 days).

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If that's appropriate, should you then also skip days when water weight might be abnormally low, maybe after a hot day or a 10 mile run since you might not be fully rehydrated. Or after a tough lift session where you might retain water due to muscle repair. If you're going to ignore outliers, then you should ignore all outliers.

djkl341.jpg

OP, when I was losing weight, I weighed myself daily regardless. The fluctuations don't bother me. I actually appreciate the data, and the information over time helps me realize that random spikes are meaningless. It' the overall trend.

What she said. I know the days before it starts I’ll be up 2-3 pounds. It’s not a bother to me because I know to expect it every 28 days or so.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Hmm I tend to avoid the bathroom scales at all costs during that time. In addition to being bloated/not feeling great I also tend to get attack of the carb cravings so I know it's not going to be a good week for me. I try be as kind to myself as I can (as in don't deny my cravings even if it takes me over my calories), quit IF which I usually do 3-4 days a week, keep exercising and then get back on the horse as soon as it's all over.

This week was my first weigh in after missing my 'period' weigh in, and I've lost 0.5kg (1lb) in two weeks. Not great, but at least it's in the right direction and I didn't make myself so miserable that I ended up causing more damage by binging.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    If that's appropriate, should you then also skip days when water weight might be abnormally low, maybe after a hot day or a 10 mile run since you might not be fully rehydrated. Or after a tough lift session where you might retain water due to muscle repair. If you're going to ignore outliers, then you should ignore all outliers.

I'd echo what everyone said here, that you have no idea what all the factors are.

This is not a tiny outlier for a day. This is a week or more of significant changes going on in the body, both physical, mental, emotional, and on top of that, just dealing with the lifestyle issues of that week that women have to deal with (I refer you to this, for men getting to deal with JUST the lifestyle part, and how overwhelming that, alone, was).

I, personally, have had up to a ten pound increase overnight, that lasts for 3-4 days and then slowly ebbs. Add on pain - pretend you've got a nasty cold, say - AND hormonal shifts for emotional issues - pretend your favorite pet just died and you get to deal with the cold and a sudden increase in weight - and maybe you can get an idea of how some women might not want to deal with the physical and emotional weight of their actual weight during one week a month.