Fat loss vs water loss?? Scale

Options
When I step on the scale for my weekly weigh in is that my real weight or is that my weight with water gain? Hope that makes sense. I weigh in usually I guess Thursday night always 1-2 lbs heavier then Friday morning it's gone, so is that my weight Friday morning? Or should I weigh more than twice a week to get a better idea...

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My advice... weight first thing in the am, after you wee. Naked.

If you can control your need to weigh, once a week should be lots.

I can almost predict my weight now, depending on what I ate, or if I feel puffy from water retention.

If I set a lot of carbs or salt, I can 'gain' up to 6 pounds..... :(:(:(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself at night. You're also weighing a whole days of food and drink that's sitting inside your gut.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Look at a weight trending app. I weigh in every morning after elimination. I log it. On a daily basis, it's up and down but the app develops a trend. I don't trust the daily weigh in. I trust the trend.

Yep, I totally agree. I weigh myself several times a week and use the Happy Scale app to see the trend. Makes it much easier to deal with the ups and downs when you see a weight loss trend happening.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Look at a weight trending app. I weigh in every morning after elimination. I log it. On a daily basis, it's up and down but the app develops a trend. I don't trust the daily weigh in. I trust the trend.

^^This.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yup.. agreed!
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll check it out, thanks!
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Really doesn't matter, just as long as you weigh yourself at the same time once a week, every week. I will agree that at night, you have the day's food and water in your system, which will of course add a few lbs. However, if your logging the same time and are consistent, then you are always incorporating that extra into your log. That is assuming you don't eat a salad one night, and then gorge on a 96 oz steak the next.

I personally weigh in the AM on Sat or Sun, after completely going to the bathroom (#1 and 2) and after my run. That way all the food is out of my system, water out of my bladder, and any extra water in my system I've sweated out. I figure this is as close to weighing 'just me' as I can get, and have noticed a 1 to 1.5 lbs fluctuation before and after a run in just sweat.

Also, I quit doing daily weigh in, because it can fluctuate so much. Even high salt days can cause water retention, where I have seen a difference of 2-3 lbs from one day to the next. That's why I just do a weekly now and (hopefully) see at least a half to a full pound lost over a week.