Running with discomfort?

Options
Recently, I've been building up my milage and am currently at about 20-25 miles a week, and only into Week 4 of my training plan. My "long run", although not very long, is supposed to be 8 miles this week, and there are 3 other days of easy running, and a speedwork run. I workout 6-7 days/week, and run a lot anyways (completed my first marathon this year), so I don't think the problem is "too much too soon".

Over the past couple of days, during my runs, I've felt discomfort in my ankle, lower shin area. The discomfort isn't exactly pain, but it doesn't feel good. I was just wanting some advice on if I should continue with my training plan as is, or taking a period off of running and doing some exercise with less impact. I've had injuries with my ankle before, and it took years to heal, so I don't want to chance it, but I also don't want to skip on running and get out of running shape. I can't tell if this could be a potential injury or just a sore muscle/joint.

Any advice as to what I should do would be muchhhh appreciated! I just don't know what to do :(

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Is it time to replace your running shoes? I tend to get more pain when my shoes are about done.

Maybe taking a day or two off will help. I don't think taking a few days off will get you out of "running shape", particularly if you're working out almost everyday anyway.

I tend to be conservative about risking injury. I'd rather take a rest day than push myself and really take myself out of the game for a long time.

Good luck!
  • cerealrunner
    Options
    Ahhh, I think it's probably the running shoes, mine are pretty worn. I never would have thought as that as the cause, but now that I think about it, it fits!

I'm always worried about missing runs, it makes me feel so anxious, but rest is essential for better performance.

Thanks so much! :D
  • snoslen
    snoslen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 500 miles per pair of shoes. You should keep track of your mileage with your new shoes and replace between 400 - 500 miles. It is especially important when you are running alot.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if my shoes need to get replaced too, but I've only put ~200 miles on them between walking and running. The felt fine on saturday for my 11 mile long run, but my feet were hurting after monday night 4 mile run... I've read that running shoes typically last 400 miles, so I'd be a bit bummed if I already have to replace them (just got them 2 months ago).