How did this happen??

Options
So I have been trying to get healthy for 2 months now, this first month I did zero excerise and just was a little more aware of what I was eating and I lost 6 pounds, I thought if I included exercise in the mix and was even more disciplined about what I ate I could do even better! I finished the 30 day shred and weighed myself today and I have gained that 6 pounds back plus 1! How does that happen, I am so discouraged

Replies

• Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your new and healing muscles want to hang onto that water! Keep going, it may be a few months before you see that downward trend, but you need that muscle to burn fat :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Could be many things but really you shouldn't rely on the scale and instead measure yourself and see how your clothing feels on you. Taking pictures is also a very good indicator.

6lbs fluctuation could be anything. I gain more than that just when I am PMSing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Your body retains water when you start a new exercise.

Also, make sure you're eating enough calories to fuel your workout, otherwise your body will start holding onto the fat.

And thirdly, don't go just by the scale. Measure yourself with a tape measure. Sometimes we lose inches but not weight.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Your new and healing muscles want to hang onto that water! Keep going, it may be a few months before you see that downward trend, but you need that muscle to burn fat :)

^^ This. It's water weight.

How many rest days were there in your program? How many days did you rest prior to weighing in?
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food?
  • meghanstyles
    Options
    I have just started to log my food. For the 30 days I exercised I only took 1 rest day.
  • meghanstyles
    Options
    And I only weighed myself before the 30 days of exercise and the day after so that I could actually try and get a better idea of the results. I do feel like there is some difference in my body, but not much. I feel like maybe I need to increase my exercise, and maybe include more cardio?
  • mikeymoney
    mikeymoney Posts: 37
    Options
    check your measurements, if your clotehs fit fine it could be water weight / muscle.