GIRLS ONLY~ Hunger during that time of the month?

Options
2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Do you ladies experience increasing levels of hunger during your time of the month? Not even cravings, just wanting more food lol. I'm at goal weight and just trying to recomp but it still fascinates me how much my appetite is increased. I could eat normal what I usually do lol! How about you ladies ?

Yup. Throughout the entire time -- usually seven days, give or take. Annoying as all get out.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some months are worse than others, but yeah. It's awful. It's not even hunger like usual, it's a weird feeling that I need to eat something because I'm feeling weak and dizzy and it doesn't go away until I actually eat. Also, I can NEVER feel full during those days. Like I can eat 4000 calories and still not feel full. But I know I'm not really hungry, that it's just hormones... but I feel horrible until I eat anyway, and the only thing that seems to satisfy me is carby/bready things (pizza, bread, pasta etc). Not exactly calorie friendly.

I never noticed it until I got below the overweight BMI weight either. I'm not sure how I would have lost the weight otherwise.
    Omg yeah you're totally right . I feel way hungier now that my BMI is at goal weight. That's so weird. Yeah I crave a lot of potatoes and bread lol but honestly .. anything works. I just want to keep eating !!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah just enjoying that now. And my scale is up 2lbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. What I find now is that, while I tend to want more salty and starchy foods, as I always have... as my weight has come down and I've started doing strength training (including core exercises), all my PMS symptoms have been reduced. I feel a bit hungrier and my sodium and carb intakes go up, but I wouldn't say it's 'intense' cravings. More like I'd rather have 2 cups of salt-and-pepper popcorn than a piece of string cheese.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've pretty much managed to eliminate all other PMS symptoms but about 5 days before my period I'm hungry, every month.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Increase in appetite the week before... loss of appetite during the actual week of my period... weight gain regardless. I can normally manage the hunger spike pretty well! It's my thoughts that I need to constantly tell to chill out.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Increase in appetite the week before... loss of appetite during the actual week of my period... weight gain regardless. I can normally manage the hunger spike pretty well! It's my thoughts that I need to constantly tell to chill out.
    LOL The thoughts!!! It's not our fault we're crazy sometimes. It's so weird how are power centre can also make us mad
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get severe cramps so I tend to feel a little sick for the first 3 days, and hunger decreases. Days before my period though my stomach wants it to be a free for all.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I get severe cramps so I tend to feel a little sick for the first 3 days, and hunger decreases. Days before my period though my stomach wants it to be a free for all.
    It's funny how all girls vary a little bit ! But at the end of the day estrogen is essentially both our power point and the evil that can take us over. I'd never want to be a guy but... they definitely have it easier with food!!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I have increased hunger around my ovulation day and a day or two before I get my period. Once on my period I don't feel like eating anything.
    I also have way more energy and can lift better/more during the first two weeks of the cycle, with the peak being around ovulation day. The last week is pretty much crap.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My cramps are awful but they don't really affect my appetite sadly. I just have to take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol every 4 hours (used to be 3 before I lost the weight).

But yeah, it happens at ovulation for me too. Really annoying.

Not gonna lie though... that awesome week (10 days if I'm lucky) after my period when my appetite is actually NORMAL (and I don't mind being a bit hungry as it doesn't make me want to pass out) makes me extremely jealous of guys.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes I have the same - worst time for me is a couple of days before my period. I have only recently noticed this connection though so hopefully in future I'll be able to plan better for it!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    My cramps are awful but they don't really affect my appetite sadly. I just have to take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol every 4 hours (used to be 3 before I lost the weight).

Not gonna lie though... that awesome week (10 days if I'm lucky) after my period when my appetite is actually NORMAL (and I don't mind being a bit hungry as it doesn't make me want to pass out) makes me extremely jealous of guys.
    I feel like we should blame the whole thing on men~~~ that seems logical

• turnere316
    turnere316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yep. For the entire week, I want to eat everything in the house. Thank God my will to lose weight is stronger.
  • turnere316
    turnere316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I feel like we should blame the whole thing on men~~~ that seems logical

You are so right! It seems that some of the issues that p!ague women starts with men; MENopause, MENstration, MENtal illness.......
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The day before my cycle should start and the day that I would ovulate (I have an IUD but still track) are the two days my appetite spikes and I have cravings. If it's really bad I just give into it. It won't ruin everything else I've done that month. This month the day before I would have gotten my period was really bad. I was starving but nauseous and only wanted a specific ice cream..so I ate the whole pint of it and called it a night. The next day I was back on program
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I never noticed it until I got below the overweight BMI weight either. I'm not sure how I would have lost the weight otherwise.

This is an interesting point. I am in the obese BMI still, and will be for quite some time. I don't notice most problems most women have with their periods. I don't cramp, I have a light flow, I don't get really PMSy (a little Frankie, but nothing extreme), and I don't get hungry before hand. (Not bragging, I don't understand why I have such a drastically different experience than most women I know)

My weight does go up like two pounds for a few days beforehand, but I wonder if the rest of my period experiences are because of my excess weight. I think I read on here someone else who never cramped or really had PMS until they lost weight and changed their diet to be healthier. I must say, I gotta hope that aspect doesn't change! ;)

Something else to look forward to changing as I shrink I guess. Oh the joys of being female.