How long until I see results?

Options
Hey there!

I know this is a naive question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I have been taking a fencing class (which isn't overly exerting) twice a week. Afterwards I go to then gym for an hour. I run the treadmill and elliptical for 2.5 miles, which burns roughly 200 calories. Then I do a few arm curls, but nothing crazy. I then do a couple leg raises, a plank, and some crunches.

I'm not looking to be the next John Cena (I'm too short), but I do want to know when I can start to see the fruits of my labour. I'm 18, 5"6, and approx. 127lbs.

Thanks!

Replies

• WillCatterick
    WillCatterick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm not looking for 6 pack an, just looking to get rid of the 6 pack flab.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. The only thing I could really tell you is to measure yourself in inches and weigh yourself. Just stick to it and make sure you count calories, and soon it'll start coming off!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How are you eating?

I'm not clear what results you are looking for. To lose weight?
  • WillCatterick
    Options
    @BusyRaeNOTBusty I would like to cut down on body fat. It is difficult to maintain a good diet, as I still live with my parents who do not understand the importance of eating healthy. I try my best to get as much nutrition as possible, and I get quite a bit protein. Fruit and veg, unfortunately, are what I can afford from my UNI's food court.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I admit I had to google John Cena - if you want to build muscle, you need to eat more, and do a lot of strength training, for a long time. You may have to ask more precise questions than How long until I see results? to get any useful answers, but the patience and dedication needed to build muscle would most likely render the question redundant anyway.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    @BusyRaeNOTBusty I would like to cut down on body fat. It is difficult to maintain a good diet, as I still live with my parents who do not understand the importance of eating healthy. I try my best to get as much nutrition as possible, and I get quite a bit protein. Fruit and veg, unfortunately, are what I can afford from my UNI's food court.

Are you counting calories and eating at a calorie deficit?

But yes, I'd agree with @sardelsa, find a good lifting program for sure. You are at a healthy weight already. Lifting heavy and eat on at maintenance might do wonders for you at your age.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Instead of just doing whatever in the gym, get on a proper, established program that is focused on compound lifting movements...just doing some arm curls and whatnot is pretty much going to leave you spinning your wheels.

If you need to lose weight then you need to cut back on calories...but my guess is that you just don't have the muscle base...a proper program will help with that...just doing whatever in the gym, not so much.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    At 5'6" 127 I would eat and lift, drop the cardio, not lose any more weight. If you want to lose fat still try recomping. You will see/feel results much faster from lifting than no lifting. Get a good program and go hard. You are at a sweet spot age wise to build muscle (higher levels of testosterone than if you were older)
    FYI: my profile pic is me at 142lbs at 5'6". Though at 18 I was 145lbs with a little less muscle and a little more fat
  • WillCatterick
    Options
    Alright, time to start lifting! Thanks everyone!
  • WillCatterick
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As a male with your stats, if you aren't happy with your physique at this point, you probably don't have the muscle foundation. So, if you keep losing, without sufficient muscle under, you will likely end up a smaller version of your current self (and end up looking too lean and close to underweight).

I would cut down on the cardio...start lifting weights seriously...follow an established program (not just random curls and crunches)..look into either bulking (eating in a surplus to gain) or at the very least, recomp (eating at maintenance to lose fat and gain muscle over time).

I want to look lean though. I don't really care if I look muscular, I just want to look less flabby. I have high body fat, and I would like to get rid of it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As a male with your stats, if you aren't happy with your physique at this point, you probably don't have the muscle foundation. So, if you keep losing, without sufficient muscle under, you will likely end up a smaller version of your current self (and end up looking too lean and close to underweight).

I would cut down on the cardio...start lifting weights seriously...follow an established program (not just random curls and crunches)..look into either bulking (eating in a surplus to gain) or at the very least, recomp (eating at maintenance to lose fat and gain muscle over time).

I want to look lean though. I don't really care if I look muscular, I just want to look less flabby. I have high body fat, and I would like to get rid of it.

I understand.. but if you lack the muscle base and lose the little fat you have, you can end up looking more skeletal than ripped (I always compare Christian Bale in the Machinist vs. him in Batman, both very lean.. but both look very different because of the amount of muscle he has.. I know kind of extreme example and not saying this is what you will look like or anything, but just to give you an idea of what I am talking about)

I would start with recomping, so eat at maintenance and lift
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    At a buck twenty seven you might be flabby but there's no way you could have much fat to lose

Do a some cardio for your heart because it's a muscle You need to wrap your mind around the reason lifting weights is called working out....because it's work.

There are all kinds of popular workouts just pick one that emphasizes compound lifts. But first google progressive overload and remember that and getting enough calories and protein are the keys to gaining muscle.

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bulk then cut... keep doing it and youll get there. Its a long game without roids though