What's your favorite veggie side dish?

Options
shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
I grew up with really boring side dishes, like boiled peas or carrots with salt, and would love to hear some tastier side dishes people have enjoyed with their veggies1

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just about any vegetable roasted with a little bit of oil, sea salt, and smoked paprika, especially green beans, Brussels sprouts, shishito peppers, broccoli.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies. Green beans, mushrooms, carrots, root vegetables. I also make oven fries. Generally I use potato and add carrot sticks for volume. Put it all in a ziploc bag with a teaspoon of oil and any seasonings I feel like (salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and rosemary seem to keep coming up) and roast at 425 for about a half hour.

Stirfrying and fritatta work well too.
  • alawrenc12
    alawrenc12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh green beans sauteed with fresh garlic and roasted red pepper
    Grilled asparagus marinated in italian dressing
    Tin Foil Packet on grill of red and green peppers, onion, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower with a little bit of olive oil and cajun spices
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Just about any vegetable roasted with a little bit of oil, sea salt, and smoked paprika, especially green beans, Brussels sprouts, shishito peppers, broccoli.

I do this too!! I also like asparagus and cauliflower roasted. Right now I am loving the spiraled vegetables (Beets, Sweet Potatoes and Zucchini. I just sautee them in a little olive oil and sea salt. Eating my beets right now YUM!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Roasted or braised cabbage

Sauteed pea pods with a bit of sesame oil and sriracha

Roasted broccoli

Braised collards
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Roasted brussels sprouts are my favorite. Cut them in half. Toss with olive oil and balsamic. Spread on pan and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast 400 degrees for 20-25 min. About halfway through the time I sometimes toss chopped onions on top with whatever oil/vinegar mix is left. So yum. Ratio:
    • 1 lb of brussels sprouts
    • 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
    • Coarse kosher salt, to taste
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I like all kinds of veggies...usually sauteed or roasted...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm pretty boring, I suppose.

Mixed root vegetables, roasted with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Turnips, parsnips, carrots, celeriac (my favorite), beets.

Roasted anything, but broccoli and cauliflower are particularly easy and good.

Beet salad --- mix roasted beets with arugula and add some goat cheese and walnuts.

Sautee green beans with some silvered almonds, add dill at the end.

Sautee zucchini and yellow squash with mushrooms.

Sautee brussels sprouts with bacon (this is a vegetable gateway drug) or just roast them with olive oil and salt.

Sautee cabbage, onions, and apples together, eat with a pork chop.

Mix hot and cold ingredients (roasted veg on cold greens) in a salad.

Chop up broccoli and cauliflower and sautee them in olive oil, add some tomatoes and shrimp and pine nuts and then serve over pasta.

Sautee broccoli, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, carrots, and/or whatever else pleases you, and add some tofu (or meat if you prefer) and some Japanese seven spice (which is AMAZING) and eat with rice as a stir fry.

Brazilian style collards -- sautee in olive oil with garlic and onions (good with any greens). Boiled collards (traditional way or vegetarian alternatives) are good too. Adding a bit of vinegar to greens or jalapenos can be tasty.

Bit of a fall bias here -- I'd have more asparagus ideas in the spring.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes, roasted veggies (but adding oil defeats the purpose lol), creamed spinach.

I've been in a rut though... if I'm going to have to add too many calories to make my veggies tasty, might as well have pasta or potatoes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine picking a favorite side dish anymore than picking a favorite main dish. But I do agree that roasted is almost always a good way to go.
  • DDBooBoo57
    DDBooBoo57 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus--olive oil, salt and pepper. Delish!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Coleslaw.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Steamed spinach. God I love it. I often have it alone as a snack.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    Does bacon wrapped asparagus count... Just thinking about them makes me hungry. I could eat them as a meal!
  • ChiChiDoesStuff
    ChiChiDoesStuff Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Roasted fresh green beans. Seasoned with the lemon pepper Mrs's Dash, and bacon bits.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    steamed broccoli
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I never cook my veggies with oil or butter and they always taste great to me.
    Steamed or roasted broccoli with nutritional yeast seasoning
    Steamed asparagus with garlic, lemon and pepper
    Roasted cauliflower and carrots with marinara sauce
    Roasted brussel sprouts with sundried tomato and garlic

oh, and how could I forget...

celery and peanut butter.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Steamed cauliflower
    Roasted asparagus
    Baked sweet potatoes
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sauteed onion, apple, mushrooms, and spinach. I like it with a bit of sharp cheddar and plenty of pepper.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    We usually have a massive pile of mixed veggies as the main part of dinner ... plus something else on the side.