How long should you lift before you take a break?

Options
jdlobb
jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I started lifting weights multiple times a week a little over 3 months ago, and have lifted at least 3 times a week since then.

I started with a 4 week plan, then immediately rolled into a 12 week plan. I'm finishing week 9 of that plan this week, and I feel like I'm burned out. In that time I've lost over 30 pounds, and gotten much stronger. I'm still losing weight. But I haven't seen any strength gains in 2 weeks, and I don't feel great during my workouts.

Is it too early to take a break? Is maybe something else at play that I should figure out?

If I do take a break, what's the best way? Is it better to just take a week off, or to just lift light weight for a week? Is a week long enough?

So many questions. Sorry.

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have you had a deload week in 9 weeks? I'm using 5/3/1 for powerlifting for deadlifts; it's 8 weeks (week 4 & 8 are deload weeks). I'm working with a pl coach on bench and squat...doing a 10 week cycle followed by a deload.

If you feel burnt out, it's time for a deload week. I don't take off...I do my warm-up sets for compound lifts and cut back from 8 reps on accessories to 5 reps.

ETA: if you are dieting and lifting, you might also want to take a short break from dieting while you deload. I did a 6 week cut after my last pl comp; by week 7, I needed to take a diet break and eat at maintenance. Strength was stagnant and felt crappy during workouts.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Lift lighter for a week. We all plateau for a while, don't stop. Do your warm up weights and reps or find some alternate exercises for the movements. When I was in school, my professor had us go the gym and find an alternate way to use the machines and still get a full body workout.
    I forget who said it and I am paraphrasing here- When it comes to exercising the hardest thing for us to do is start and the easiest thing for us to do is stop.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Great read on deloads by Tony Gentilcore: http://tonygentilcore.com/2017/09/the-deload-week-yes-no-maybe-so/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I tend to program deloads in every 4 to 6 weeks on average.

A deload week generally consists of anywhere from about 1/3 to 1/2 the total workload usually through a combination of volume reduction (number of sets) and load reduction (weight on the bar).
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    It's very important to learn to read your body and knowing when it's time for a break or just the body faking it.
    I would increase the calories for a days. Take a couple days off and see what happens. I think a week is too long. I also prefer to take a few days off rather than deload.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    yep time for a deload week. go lighter on your main lifts maybe 70% or less of your current working weights with a couple less reps or sets. You wont lose what you've gained in a week but if you take the week off you may have a hard time starting over.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    thanks. I'm about to enter the final phase of this current plan. I think I'll use the first week of it to deload, and then hopefully be able to ratchet up the weight in the final 2 weeks.
  • ptcampgymokc
    ptcampgymokc Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    So I started lifting weights multiple times a week a little over 3 months ago, and have lifted at least 3 times a week since then.

I started with a 4 week plan, then immediately rolled into a 12 week plan. I'm finishing week 9 of that plan this week, and I feel like I'm burned out. In that time I've lost over 30 pounds, and gotten much stronger. I'm still losing weight. But I haven't seen any strength gains in 2 weeks, and I don't feel great during my workouts.

Is it too early to take a break? Is maybe something else at play that I should figure out?

If I do take a break, what's the best way? Is it better to just take a week off, or to just lift light weight for a week? Is a week long enough?

So many questions. Sorry.

First of all congratulations on your progress and do not apologize for asking questions because that is actually a very good thing. I by the looks of what you have shared in your post is seems like you have progressed nicely in your strength training program as reflected in your move from 3 to 4 to 12 week programs. The thing that caught my eye was the way you are feeling good during your workout and you have hit a plateau. You might want to re assess your nutrition plan. The issue might be that you are not eating the proper amount of food to support your activity level. It sounds counter intuitive but you might need an increase in food consumption.
    In terms of taking a break from training there are studies that support both sides of that concept. Some say that with proper nutrition and daily rest the human body can be involved in constant weekly training. Others mention benefits to taking a week or two off after several months of pedal to the metal training. I advocate a slightly different approach. I would recommend changing up your training. Packaging it into cycles that last 4 to 6 weeks. For example. You utilize a workout plan that focuses on flexibility, balance, and agility for 4 to 6 weeks and afterwards change to a plan that focuses on heavy strength training for your next cycle. So on and so forth. What you focus on for the 4 to 6 weeks will vary in intensity which would allow your body to recover (in part) from your previous cycle. You could take some days between cycles to rest, hydrate, and renew your mindset also.
    I hope this helps and that you get to feeling better soon.

Good Luck!
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Excellent advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Btw, posting from the gym. Took the weight back down a little, feel better. Taking all of your advice to heart immediately.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Our trainer in the group I do is cycling us through 12 weeks lifting then 1 week deload. I just finished the first 12 weeks so deload is next week.