exercise cals

Options
zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi, quick question...i always believed inside to lose weight consistently you need to eat the same number of calories everyday for your metabolism to be consistent...when i train weights (4× a week) I burn 400 calories during the hr, on the other days i do HIT classes where I burn 750-800 during the hr. this is monitored with my heart rate monitor...i put myself as lightly active with .5 pound of fat to lose per week which gave me 1650 net. with my weight training I should be eating 2000 a day? and on cardio days i should be eating 2300? just confused because that a big diffedifference... Looking forward to everyone's help

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi, quick question...i always believed inside to lose weight consistently you need to eat the same number of calories everyday for your metabolism to be consistent...when i train weights (4× a week) I burn 400 calories during the hr, on the other days i do HIT classes where I burn 750-800 during the hr. this is monitored with my heart rate monitor...i put myself as lightly active with .5 pound of fat to lose per week which gave me 1650 net. with my weight training I should be eating 2000 a day? and on cardio days i should be eating 2300? just confused because that a big diffedifference... Looking forward to everyone's help

When you put yourself as light active in your activity level, were you considering your exercise...ie is exercise rolled up into your activity level? If it is, then you would be double dipping with eating exercise calories back.

MFP is designed so that you don't include exercise in your activity level...that activity is accounted for when you log it and you earn additional calories.

It can work either way, you just need to understand which method you're using.

Also, I'd be pretty wary of those calorie burns...your HRM isn't particularly accurate for calories with lifting or HIIT.. They are more accurate (but still an estimate) for steady state aerobic activity.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    i have a polar hrm i wear around my chest...its one of the most accurate ones...i didn't take activity into my lightly active..isnt t strange to have different calorie burns because of different activities and not eat the same everyday?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i have a polar hrm i wear around my chest...its one of the most accurate ones...i didn't take activity into my lightly active..isnt t strange to have different calorie burns because of different activities and not eat the same everyday?

No, it's not strange...different activities are going to result in different energy expenditures.

The fact that your HRM has a chest strap is irrelevant...the chest strap makes it very accurate for measuring your HR...not your energy expenditure.

Your HR has no direct correlation to energy expenditure...it is used in an algorithm to estimate some % of V02 max that you're working...so the algorithm also assumes a more or less steady state aerobic event...lifting is an anaerobic event...HIIT is also largely an anaerobic event...neither are good for estimating V02 max which would thus make the algorithm faulty and the resulting energy expenditure output faulty.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    I was eating 1850 a day doing what I did and I lost my period...i have no hormonal issues all my levels are fine...i bought HR monitor to see how much I was really burning and what it says I was shocked...im trying to find a good balance, because 1850 wasn't good for me apparently...
  • zfitgal
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No, it's not strange...different activities are going to result in different energy expenditures.

The fact that your HRM has a chest strap is irrelevant...the chest strap makes it very accurate for measuring your HR...not your energy expenditure.

Your HR has no direct correlation to energy expenditure...it is used in an algorithm to estimate some % of V02 max that you're working...so the algorithm also assumes a more or less steady state aerobic event...lifting is an anaerobic event...HIIT is also largely an anaerobic event...neither are good for estimating V02 max which would thus make the algorithm faulty and the resulting energy expenditure output faulty.

there is an app that it works with called polar beat and there's a place for stretch trainng, which calculates it anaerobicly
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As cwolfman13 says, heart rate monitors really aren't designed to estimate caloric expenditure during weight lifting or HIIT, they're intended for steady state cardio. You'd be better off estimating caloric expenditure using an online calculator. Try a few of them and see what you get. If you are concerned about the calculator over-estimating the expenditure, you can try eating back 50% or 75% of the estimated calories burned.

If you stopped menstruating because of lack of nutrients while eating 1850 calories per day, the solution is not to eat 1650 calories a day. In this situation the general recommendation is to eat more and/or exercise less. If you haven't already, you should see a doctor.

No, it's not weird to eat more calories on days when you use more energy. When you work out, your body needs calories to do that work, and also calories and nutrients to recover (e.g. replacing glycogen in muscle tissue, repairing damaged muscle tissue).
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    As cwolfman13 says, heart rate monitors really aren't designed to estimate caloric expenditure during weight lifting or HIIT, they're intended for steady state cardio. You'd be better off estimating caloric expenditure using an online calculator. Try a few of them and see what you get. If you are concerned about the calculator over-estimating the expenditure, you can try eating back 50% or 75% of the estimated calories burned.

If you stopped menstruating because of lack of nutrients while eating 1850 calories per day, the solution is not to eat 1650 calories a day. In this situation the general recommendation is to eat more and/or exercise less. If you haven't already, you should see a doctor.

No, it's not weird to eat more calories on days when you use more energy. When you work out, your body needs calories to do that work, and also calories and nutrients to recover (e.g. replacing glycogen in muscle tissue, repairing damaged muscle tissue).

I went to my Dr., she told me to exercise with a little less intensity...i worked out 6 days a week hard and very intense, and now that I'm going through this I should have been eating around 2000 calories...im taking a break and unfortunately I will be putting on weight to get my menstrual cycle back...but when I come back I'd like to know where to start my drfecit...i initially started it at 1550 and worked my way up to 1850... this time I want to make sure I'm getting enough to lose .5 a week and maintain my workouts...