Quitting WW and figuring out how many calories on MFP

Options
Mugs203
Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member
I am a long time Weight Watcher member and feel I am basically over it - sick of paying for the meetings and not agreeing with some of their logic. Is it recommended to use the calorie formula determined by MFP to figure out how much I should eat (to lose weight) or is there another method everyone uses? Thanks so much!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    MFP will calculate it for you based on stats and activity level.

Some people use other calculators that are TDEE calculators...these calculators give you an estimate based on total activity, including exercise...MFP gives you a target based on your NEAT (activity without exercise) and then you add exercise after the fact.

Done correctly, the two methods are exactly the same...the only difference is where you account for exercise.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »
    I am a long time Weight Watcher member and feel I am basically over it - sick of paying for the meetings and not agreeing with some of their logic. Is it recommended to use the calorie formula determined by MFP to figure out how much I should eat (to lose weight) or is there another method everyone uses? Thanks so much!

One method would be to use somewhere around 10 to 12 cals per lb bodyweight and then do not eat back exercise calories. Monitor rate of losses and adjust target up or down based on that.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Be sure to read the Helpful Posts thread that is stickied at the top of the page. Lots of helpful info on getting started. Welcome!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    This calorie calculator is useful

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

get your BMR and TDEE numbers then follow the advice given by earlnabby
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am also a former WW...got completely sick of points and absolutely despised how they weighted things with sugar or fat so heavily with points. I used the MFP calculator and have lost 12 lbs since starting about 2 months ago. Calorie counting makes so much sense to me...I have no idea why I never tried it before. I will NEVER go back to a "diet" I have to pay for.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    CindyWard2 wrote: »
    I am also a former WW...got completely sick of points and absolutely despised how they weighted things with sugar or fat so heavily with points. I used the MFP calculator and have lost 12 lbs since starting about 2 months ago. Calorie counting makes so much sense to me...I have no idea why I never tried it before. I will NEVER go back to a "diet" I have to pay for.

WW is still calorie counting, but you don't learn anything about the actual food you are eating and how it affects you as an individual. With MFP, you see the macronutrient breakdown and you see exactly how much of whatever micronutrients or carb subset (fiber, sugar) you choose to track is in your daily diary.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Another WW defector, lost on it in past but put all back on. So far 2 st 4 lbs lost on MFP since January. No more forbidden foods, if it fits in my calorie allowance I can have it while colleagues still going without due to points and sins!!
  • Iwilldo198
    Iwilldo198 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also quitting WW I have lost on it. But I don't want to pay the money anymore or make time for meetings I already have a tight schedule
  • sanjay5674
    sanjay5674 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is all about corporate greed. I just quit after 11 years. I'm a 4 year lifetime member who lost 155 pounds.

I researched the calorie allotment and found MFP to be consistent with the others. Trust it, but go by your weight loss and adjust accordingly.