Bulking-when did you it was time

Options
I am wheel spinning, have been for ages. Am a healthy weight for my height and age, and approx 20% body fat. I think I now need to fill out my skin with muscle...but am petrified .

How did you know it was time to bulk?

Replies

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My stats are
    Age 36
    Height 5ft4
    122lbs
    .....maybe I should try and get to 120lbs before a bulk!?? Or maybe I am just trying to delay it
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting at the moment?
    If not, why not start with lifting at the weight you are at and see how you progress (recomp). After a few months if you are not progressing at the rate you would like, up your cals by 125-250 a week and run a bulk.

Whatever, if you are not lifting now, start.

Cheers, h.

• Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    2ulytd0sx97a.jpeg
    Still trying to cut then I’m going to bulk
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I base it more on bodyfat % and goals rather than a scale weight.
    I personally like to be under 20% or so before I bulk. So pretty lean where I have quite a bit of definition. My first bulk I was just skinny and almost underweight so I had no choice but to bulk.

What are your goals? You can bulk if want to gain size/mass/weight. You could also try to recomp.. so lift weights and eat at maintenance. This process is slow but it is less scary than bulking for many.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All great responses, thanks.

I am lifting at the moment, but have also been doing cardio and therefore possibly wheel spinning.

It’s strange how getting things down on paper and then evaluating everyone’s responses helps you to get an answer to what goals you are trying to achieve-for me now I think I want to lean down a little bit more. I know I should bulk at some point but i am scared.

I guess for now I am going to try and lift heavy, eat at maintenance and try and enjoy my food and exercise
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »

I guess for now I am going to try and lift heavy, eat at maintenance and try and enjoy my food and exercise

Do that. Make sure you are using a proven lifting program and not just making something up yourself. The thread below has pretty much every program out there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    And to add to @quiksylver296's lifting thread, get info and inspiration from the recomp thread........

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Cheers, h.