sorry, you're too fat to live here...

Options
13»

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they're afraid he'll sink their little island?

That was my thought too...

Islands can capsize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

There was a US senator (don't recall which one) that was opposed stationing marines on Guam because the additional weight of the people might capsize the island...

Yes, that's the video linked. :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    When the healthcare burden is placed on the government instead of on individuals, then the government is forced to look for ways to trim the fat, pun intended
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Fair?

Why go on about fair?

They have a law. He does not meet the regulations. He was asking for a visa renewal... that would mean him being re-assessed for eligibility. His weight means he isn't. It's not like being a chef is a priority profession.

The NHS in the UK is crumbling, in some part due to health tourists. I cannot see why NZ, with a much smaller population, shouldn't protect themselves from the skyrocketing costs due to immigration. It is expensive enough as it is.

That and it is at least different from the usual accusations of racism in NZ policies.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Let him come to Great Britain....we let every fvcker in here......

Except Westboro Baptist Church....but then again we don't want them either...unfortunately we're stuck with the little *kitten* heads. Damn loop hole in the amendments.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe the New Zealanders are afraid he'll eat all their sheep and then they'll have to marry new wives. I love ewe!

It would be very bahhhhhh to eat all the sheep.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Basically if you're at risk of HIV,hepatitis B and C,most cancers, will need major transplants,progressive renal disorders,
    osteoarthritis,motor neurone disease, epilepsy, cardiac disease or BMI over 35 the state doesn't want you registered.

But you could just go private.

If this chef has the option of private health care available to him, then deporting him for his BMI is not fair.
    If the law says the government can't deny health care to any citizen and can't force anyone to take private insurance (which I strongly suspect it does), it doesn't matter. He can have private insurance now, then cancel at any time after he becomes a citizen and the gov't is forever on the hook.

The gov't has no control over born citizens, so it has to suck it up. However, it has complete control over who it allows to become a citizen, so naturally it only allows immigrants in with the country's best interest as priority. It is not in the best interest of an already overweight country (3rd in the world) with a small population to allow more obese people in.

Considering 'obese' is defined as BMI of 30 or higher, New Zealand's 35 BMI requirement is reasonable. You still have some wiggle room.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I heard about that.It is appauling. Narrow minded ppl
    make too many rules and disclusions.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    So, what if he were a gay man having unprotected sex?
    Would the government be right to deport him for being a potential medical expense?

or anyone having unprotected sex

Yes, the point being, how intrusive in to personal decisions can government be by "virtue" of providing your healthcare through tax dollars?
    How intrusive should they be, period. Tax dollars taken (practically stolen from the people in my country at the rate of taxation, especially if you do anything the gov't deems unsafe or bad) is not what a gov' t is for. They are not there to guide us in decisions people treat the govt like the church use to be treated these days (ironically most hate religion) but if the govt dictates moral OKs and not OKs it isn't invasive its just for "the good of the people".

One day it will be "the pursuit of happiness as long as you do not smoke, do not drink, pay All the taxes we feel are necessary for you, do not get fatter then we think you should be, do not drive vehicles more then one needs too, do not have more children then we feel is a good number for you, as long as cancer and ailments do not run in your family...unless of course they kill you at a young age so after youu are no longer product to the govt you can die before we have to financially support your *kitten*. But yes you can be happy (put that burger down!')

Excuse typos, typed on cell.
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have they never heard the expression 'never trust a thin chef' :smile:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    So, what if he were a gay man having unprotected sex?
    Would the government be right to deport him for being a potential medical expense?

or anyone having unprotected sex

Yes, the point being, how intrusive in to personal decisions can government be by "virtue" of providing your healthcare through tax dollars?
    How intrusive should they be, period. Tax dollars taken (practically stolen from the people in my country at the rate of taxation, especially if you do anything the gov't deems unsafe or bad) is not what a gov' t is for. They are not there to guide us in decisions people treat the govt like the church use to be treated these days (ironically most hate religion) but if the govt dictates moral OKs and not OKs it isn't invasive its just for "the good of the people".

One day it will be "the pursuit of happiness as long as you do not smoke, do not drink, pay All the taxes we feel are necessary for you, do not get fatter then we think you should be, do not drive vehicles more then one needs too, do not have more children then we feel is a good number for you, as long as cancer and ailments do not run in your family...unless of course they kill you at a young age so after youu are no longer product to the govt you can die before we have to financially support your *kitten*. But yes you can be happy (put that burger down!')

Excuse typos, typed on cell.

When the law mandates that the gov't picks up the bill for all the stupid decisions that the citizens make yet it can't charge tax based on the level of stupidity, then naturally it begins trying to limit the stupidity.

If everybody pays his own doctor's and hospital bill straight out of his pocket, then there's little need for the gov't to prescribe anything. But, that's not what most people want, because most people can't afford it.

You're either completely free to do anything and bear full responsibility for the health consequences, or partially free yet bear only part of the health cost.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    he had many years to lose the weight. its obvious he isnt taking it seriously so i have no problems with them sending him home.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They're using bmi as a measuring stick? Don't be a bodybuilder in NZ..
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    im wondering if new zeeland has banned all fast food companies and all packaged food brands.also any items containing high fructose corn syrup,excess sodium,etc?since theyre soooooooo concerned about weight issues.... what asshats!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im wondering if new zeeland has banned all fast food companies and all packaged food brands.also any items containing high fructose corn syrup,excess sodium,etc?since theyre soooooooo concerned about weight issues.... what asshats!

they let people make choices...this chef made a choice to not obey their rules...he had six years to do it and didnt. his fault.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I love my country. Long live hobbiton!
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I guess their country their rules. Not that I agree with them exactly, but that would be some good motivation especially if you're somewhat established.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Let him come to Great Britain....we let every fvcker in here......

Lol not *kitten* with America
  • body_in_progress
    body_in_progress Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm from NZ. Christchurch in fact. Like this guy.

Yes he is obese, but he was also obese when he arrived here. Not only that, he was much heavier than he is now, about 30kg heavier I think. So he has lost a lot of weight which is awesome, we all know how hard that is :bigsmile:

To an extent, the NZ Health Care System is pretty much free to all... so if you come from America to go Snow Boarding and break your leg, then we have a free health care (well ACC funded) so you don't need to pay for medical attention while here. (Not private health care...that is defiantly not free... I'm talking public health care system)

This man came here on a working visa and over the last 6 years has switched between many working visas and visitors visas. The reason their latest application was declined was not only because he is obese but he also has a chronic knee condition and due to his weight he will require a lot of medical attention in the near future which I guess puts more pressure on the NZ funded system. By law, people have to have "an acceptable standard of health" to minimize costs to NZ.

I also understand they are no longer working and him and his wife are living off charity which is unfortunate for them and in no way is helping their fight to want to stay.

I don't blame them for fighting, NZ is beautiful and although we are a wee island...and like someone mentioned, we most probably are slowly sinking... we still need rules like every one else to keep things chugging along... as good as can be!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Been wanting to visit New NZ. Heard the place was full of hobbits and elves and wizards and such.
    Should be an exciting place.