Need some bbq salad ideas

Options
lds25
lds25 Posts: 68
Hey there everyone! I am hosting a bbq tommorow for my son's birthday. Typical bbq faire will be on the menu ie hamburgers, potato salad, pasta salad and fruit tray plus a birthday cake. I need some recipes to make the salads less calorie rich as well as tasty. I was told to buy the salads but I know that those ones are heavy laden in fats, calories and sodium. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Linda

Replies

• kevcar0603
    kevcar0603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We made the Biggest Loser Broccoli Salad last weekend for our barbecue and it was EXCELLENT! I have also made a delicious pasta salad that used greek yogurt, lemon juice and only a tiny bit of mayo. It was great too. I'm not sure of the recipe specifics, but I'm sure you can google it. Have fun!!
  • littlemac
    littlemac Posts: 4
    Options
    I know this is still using bought products but for the pasta salad try renees healthy salad dressings(most have 8-12 calories per tbsp)or fat free/light italian salad dressing with some reduced fat parmesan type cheese to add some flavor for the pasta salad - i usually just chop up some vggies and toss it in with the pasta. You could also make a vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, honey and olive oil (or cut the oil with veg/chicken stock). I don't measure when i cook but usually do 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar (I like vinegar) but standard is usually 3 to 1. For the potatoe salad use fat free mayo and mix a little grainy mustard, and cider vinegar plus some herbs like thyme and parsley, scallions and dill and mix it into the chopper potatoes
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try this website http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus. They have some really good recipes.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta, Fat Free Zesty Itl dressing from Kraft, dices onions and peppers, cucumber, diced ham, turkey pepperoni, diced black olives and topped with a little cheddar cheese. You could added other veggies to it too.

How about a fruit salad.

Make the potato salad with fat free ranch dressing.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Easy Layered Salad

Bottom layer: lettuce, green leafy (use the salad mix from the grocery)
    then sliced cucumber,
    next grape tomatoes,
    next slice boiled eggs,
    next shredded cheddar cheese,
    covered with dressing (I used about 1 cup mayo, Splenda to taste, and a dash of balsamic vinegar)
    sprinkled with more cheddar cheese and real bacon pieces.

you can do a layer of peas, sliced black olives, red onions--you get the idea. looks really nice in a glass bowl.:drinker:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I made a really good refreshing salad the other day that was really low cal

1 cucumber sliced
    cilantro to taste
    1 cup of rice vinegar
    1 bell pepper
    about 10 cherry tomatoes
    1 jalapeno
    1 tablespoon of sugar (could use splenda but its so low cal in the rest of the ingred. I used sugar)
    Combine ingredients and let set for a couple of hours than mix with lettuce or spinach,

It didnt even need dressing =)

Have fun tomorrow!!!!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Fat free coolwhip and mix in a can of drained friut cocktail.

Jello cottage cheese salad Fat free cool whip, fat free cottage cheese 16 oz, one package of sugar free jello ( just the powder)~ I like orange or strawberry, You can mix in drained mandarin oranges or dice pineapple also. Mix all together chill and enjoy.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love grilled corn salad...Mix grilled corn, jicama, avocado, and mango, top with lime juice, salsa, and a little lowfat sour cream if you like. You can also add black beans and/or olives, and a little chopped cilantro on top.

I also really like the Cardini's fat free ceasar. Even my b/f, who hates lowfat stuff, admits that it's delish.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I made a really good refreshing salad the other day that was really low cal

1 cucumber sliced
    cilantro to taste
    1 cup of rice vinegar
    1 bell pepper
    about 10 cherry tomatoes
    1 jalapeno
    1 tablespoon of sugar (could use splenda but its so low cal in the rest of the ingred. I used sugar)
    Combine ingredients and let set for a couple of hours than mix with lettuce or spinach,

It didnt even need dressing =)

Have fun tomorrow!!!!

Mmm...this sounds so light and yummy. I miss leave out the jalapeno since I am a wuss. Thanks for posting this.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Fat free coolwhip and mix in a can of drained friut cocktail.

Jello cottage cheese salad Fat free cool whip, fat free cottage cheese 16 oz, one package of sugar free jello ( just the powder)~ I like orange or strawberry, You can mix in drained mandarin oranges or dice pineapple also. Mix all together chill and enjoy.

mmmmmmmm sounds good and easy, plus my 3 yr old will love this!!
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    vegetable bean salad - very healthy, very versatile, very easy

I use a mixture of different canned beans, kidney, black, garbanzo etc. are all good.
    mix together with chopped vegetables, corn, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, whatever you have on hand will do just chop it all up into small pieces so everything is approx the same size.
    Then add some salt, pepper, oil & vinegar or lemon to taste. Fresh herbs too if you have them.
    Yummy !!
    A whole bowl of this makes for a good meal too and leftovers keep well.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Obviously using light mayo and salad dressings help! I don't think for one day you have to be too worried, just watch how much you consume!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My mom's side of the family is from Newfoundland and this version of a potato salad is always a huge hit..sounds odd but really does taste good! cooked and mashed potatoes, add a can of peas, drained and rinsed, and a can of carrots drained and rinsed, add 2 chopped apples, I like using granny smith, but whatever you like, salt and pepper, and fat free mayo dressing to taste....it's not for everyone, you either love it or hate it!