obsessed with eating

Options
I keep falling off the wagon. I can't go to the grocery store without needing to buy something sweet. I almost feel like it's an addiction. When I do have something sweet I eat it in one sitting and then I am craving more. I eat when I am not hungry. I feel if I could get this all under control I'd be successful at being fit and healthy. I just don't know how to fix this.....

Replies

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about counselling to try and work out why you binge like that? Sugar is emotionally addictive, I'm not sure about physically, so you must find a way to overcome these urges. What brings on the urge, when, where, etc. Finding out why you do it is the first step to overcoming it. :)
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You could try Bright Line Eating by Susan Peirce Thompson. She comes from a 12 step program background, and she talks about how different people are more "susceptible" to binge eating, and how to deal with that. Book on Amazon.
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. The only way I can control it is to wait until after dinner to have something sweet. If I pre log it and know I'm going to get it, it helps mentally. But if I start the day with anything carby, it's hard for me to stop.
  • alliums
    alliums Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @nadean1980 There's a great podcast called "Brain over binge" which you might find helpful!
    http://brainoverbinge.com/category/podcast/ Listen to it from the start!

Someone else mentioned Bright Line Eating, and I started off not at all convinced about the idea that food could be addictive. But I learned how to recognize that it is. And certainly is for me! There's a "food freedom quiz" you can take, which puts you on their mailing list, and you'll get videos and info about it. (warning: they send a lot of emails!)
    http://foodfreedomquiz.com

I've lost 24 of 78 lbs I want to lose. I'm sleeping better, I have more confidence, and I learned how to manage cravings. I can see glimpses of "freedom" promised in the program. I'm sticking with it, and noticing big changes in my life. Oh, and heh, we also are saving money because I'm not buying so many snacks. I'm actually embarrassed to say how much we were spending EXTRA when we really can't afford it. I wrote some more about the surprises with Bright Line Eating on my blog:
    https://nearlythere.com/2017/07/27/surprises-in-store-with-bright-line-eating/
  • MeechyLA
    MeechyLA Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    One idea is to limit yourself from situations that will tempt you. Grocery stores are designed to encourage you to buy more than you need, so I started getting most of my staple foods delivered to me in bulk from Amazon. That way, whenever I'm in the grocery store, I know exactly what I need and only focus on buying those things.
  • lindseyanne31
    lindseyanne31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    nadean1980 wrote: »
    I keep falling off the wagon. I can't go to the grocery store without needing to buy something sweet. I almost feel like it's an addiction. When I do have something sweet I eat it in one sitting and then I am craving more. I eat when I am not hungry. I feel if I could get this all under control I'd be successful at being fit and healthy. I just don't know how to fix this.....

Ditto :s:'(
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have self control for 5 seconds. Just 5 seconds. Tell yourself that's all you're going to need to do. If you walk out without buying your problem food it won't be there to taunt you nonstop at home. You may or may not be able to eventually moderate your problem foods, but for now focus on your mentality around food. Work on it slowly. Gradually normalize food in your head. "Forbidden foods" have a certain pull, so if they're not forbidden they become less attractive. They are still attractive because they taste good, but they don't have as much hold on you and at some point you may be able to buy a single serving packet of something and be satisfied, but for now it's better to go without. The "addiction" mentality gives food power over you, knowing that these are just very entrenched habits is freeing. Habits can change. It's hard work because they became habits for a reason, but they can change.

Is your calorie allowance too low? This can increase the attractiveness of food in general, and your problem foods specifically. Too low of a calorie intake triggers this food seeking behavior. Revise your allowance if it's too low.

Eating when not hungry is normal. Food is pleasurable so we want to eat it hedonically. That's not a problem in and of itself if it's done in a controlled manner. If you suspect you have a binge eating disorder, however, that's a different story. Seek help. There are medications and behavioral therapies that can help greatly with that.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You might be insulin resistant which is a physical condition that can contribute to the kind of behaviour you describe re carbs and cravings.