Chest strap irritation

Options
My chest strap by Polar irritates my skin under my breast. After I'm done working out I wash and dry that area and when I get home I apply cornstarch. However every time I wear the chest drop it irritates my skin. Does anyone know of a brand that is hypoallergenic or that works for you?

Thank you.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is probably from friction (chafing). I used to put tape on my old Polar. Without tape it would dig into my ribs and leave a painful mark. Taping along the bottom helped alot (along with Body Glide).

FWIW, my Garmin RUN does not cause any issues.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was the same, my Polar shredded my sternum. The Garmin Tri is fine for me
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It is probably from friction (chafing). I used to put tape on my old Polar. Without tape it would dig into my ribs and leave a painful mark. Taping along the bottom helped alot (along with Body Glide).

Hey thank you so much for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean though. did you put the tape on your skin on the left on the right under the strap but not under the actual heart rate monitor? Or do you just tape the whole chest drop down? with what kind of tape? Is it sports tape? Sorry. Just curious.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Body Glide. It works for me, when I wear my Suunto chest strap.

I've tried wrapping bandaids around the metal parts, with success.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Bottom edge. Facing the floor as you are standing.

Nothing helped for me so I got a Scosche Rhythm + arm band. Polar just came out with one too. Just wear them on the meaty part of your arm
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've worn my Garmin HRM strap for over ten hours with no problems. No gel or tape, I just wet the contact with tap water initially and then sweat all day long! :(
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How often do you clean the strap?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Hey thank you so much for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean though. did you put the tape on your skin on the left on the right under the strap but not under the actual heart rate monitor? Or do you just tape the whole chest drop down? with what kind of tape? Is it sports tape? Sorry. Just curious.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this (I could see it in my mind if that was any help :) ).

I taped the bottom edge with 3M First Aid tape (the clear stuff they use to hold IV's in and bandages on). I also used Body Glide on the area under the tape.
  • SapphireMoon23
    Options
    Ok i get it now. I went to the store yesterday and intended on looking for the Body Glide stick yet got distracted getting groceries since I was hungry. LOL I will try again today.
  • SapphireMoon23
    Options
    How often do you clean the strap?

When I remember, but I'm going to do it right now.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    speaking of the garmin strap - which is the only which is really small enough for me, does anyone else have trouble with it sliding down midway thru a workout? I have actually tried crossing it over one shoulder but the reading is not as accurate and it sort of digs into the top of my boob. I actually gave up wearing it because having it down around my waist halfway thru a run was super annoying and the HR avg was way off.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    speaking of the garmin strap - which is the only which is really small enough for me, does anyone else have trouble with it sliding down midway thru a workout? I have actually tried crossing it over one shoulder but the reading is not as accurate and it sort of digs into the top of my boob. I actually gave up wearing it because having it down around my waist halfway thru a run was super annoying and the HR avg was way off.

Unfortunately that's a common reported problem. Several companies make sportsbras with built in sensors that take a standard Garmin/Wahoo/etc Transmitter puck.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Scosche Rhythm +

It doesn't get really small if you have skinny arms
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin strap and it chafes a specific spot on my sternum. I put a little bit of lube there and I'm fine. (I like Blister Shield, by 2Toms.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I replaced my Garmin hard strap with a soft chest strap, for one the hard strap was too large, I bought a universal soft strap and has worked perfectly for 3 years and 0 irritation.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I have had this problem as well, what works for me is making sure the entire HRM is securely tucked under the bottom band of my sports bra before I start my run.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »

I have had this problem as well, what works for me is making sure the entire HRM is securely tucked under the bottom band of my sports bra before I start my run.

I guess if you're crafty, you could get a sports bra with a wide under strap, and modify it to accept a sensor strap.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My wrist/ears react to the nickel in anything (including my fitness tracker strap), so I feel for you. Before I wear these things I've always put a coat of clear nail varnish over the metal & reapply it about once every fortnight. Works a charm :) Sudocrem is also excellent for any rashes, soothes them immediately & leaves a coating that lasts all day. Hope some of this helps you - some fab ideas in this thread.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    My Polar chest strap (the one with the user-changeable battery) causes some itchiness on one side at the "corner" of my ribcage. It doesn't seem to be chafing (feels different), and I wash it every time I wear it. I don't have any known allergies to rubber or plastic.

Also - sadly - I don't have a solution . . . in just to sympathize.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    No irritation here I did a quick check for a running bra which had a built in place for the chest strap with no joy. Just amazon search so far. I DO tuck it under the bottom band of my bra but it still drops. I like the idea of sewing the band into one of my jogbrasor at least sewing LOOPS on the inside of a couple of them so the band would be like a belt going thru the loops. Hey - maybe we are onto something and could start a new product line for women and make millions? YOu heard it here first! One thing I did realize today is that I use lotion in the morning when I get up before I run so it could be contributing for the slippage...