Upset stomach after running?

Options
I’m a relatively new runner and I’ve been running about 3.5 miles every other day for about 3 weeks now. Lately I’ve noticed that after running, my stomach feels queasy and I’m super gassy. Any tips on how to avoid this or tips on how to get rid of the after run nausea?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    How soon are you running after eating? You might want to wait a bit longer. What you eat before can make a difference. Sugar gives me a stomach ache and too much fiber can be a problem too. Are you well hydrated before you run? Dehydration makes me nauseous. Also, if you are a new runner, you may be running too hard/fast. It is very common in new runners and it can cause a lot of different problems.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're eating before running, eat less, eat earlier, and or eat something different. If you're not eating before running. Eat a small snack 30-60 min before running. Same advice for drinking.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    3.5 Miles every other day? Holy cow. That's way overdoing it for a new runner. Just an FYI. Prolly not causing your stomach issues but it may cause many more serious issues down the road. Get a plan.

Do you eat before you run? Do you drink a lot of fluid (especially fluid with carbs)? FWIW, My stomach aches (not queasy) when I drink too much or use gels without enough water. I've also had issues when I eat too much a few hours before I run.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That happens to me when I drink a ton of water at once after a run or if I run on an empty stomach.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My breakfast yesterday was a bacon sandwich. So bacon, cheese and a bun. Not a good idea for me before 10K. My stomach hurt a bit during the run. So back to oatmeal before a run.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue so am interested in the responses. I find I feel sick after my weekly long runs (anything over ~90 minutes). This has been going on since March, and seems to be independent of pre-run food (or no food) and weather. I am not usually sick immediately after, but rather about 30 minutes to an hour afterward, and usually not until after showering. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat right away or not after running, or if I skip my post-run beer (which is a bummer, because I always feel like I DESERVE it after a long run!) The nausea goes away if I lie down for about an hour, but it still sucks. Anyone have any ideas?
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If I eat bread before a run it sits very heavy, I usually find a banana works well for me. I don't drink a lot before running as I usually run first thing in the morning and I'd have to stop for a wee!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    For me, doing anything harder or longer than my fitness level supports will cause digestive problems.

One thing to try is to drink electrolytes before/during/after runs. I like Nuun tablets. For very long runs or other endurance activities (cycling and hiking), I have used Gu with good outcome. I have also taken a tums in the middle of a long ride.

I notice that running gets my lower GI going. Not totally a bad thing (so far, anyway).
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, and when you find a solution, please let me know. I try and tell myself that the copious farts are actually a jet propulsion boost :) I think running just upsets some tummies....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You might have nascent reflux
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    @Ryokat: I used to drink beer right after exercising and maybe not much else. A one-way trip to headache-city later! A (bud)wiser move is to drink a bunch of electrolyte water first and delay the beer a bit. ;)