Hint for new & lazy cooks: Google "sheet pan dinners"

Options
Was reminded of the terminology for this as I cook tonight's supper: sheet pan dinners. You prepare the ingredients, throw them on a sheet pan and bake them. If you line the sheet pan with foil you've made it even easier to clean up.

Tonight, we're having a sheet pan dinner of pork, potatoes and squash in a Greek marinade based on this recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-squash-potatoes

A good hint with web recipes is to read the comments to find hints and improvements to the recipe. For example, some of the folks complained about the potatoes needing more time and the squash less. I just gave my potatoes a 10 minute head start and am giving the squash as 5 minute head start on the pork. I won't do the final broiling step because we like things more moist and roasted than browned. Overall, I'll be baking it 30 minutes at 400F or until the pork is done. I'm also using chunks of pork loin instead of chops because that's what I had.

Some people complain that "You're not really making the recipe" and arguably, that's true. But I think of recipes as help and guidelines for inspiring the supper that will go on our table.

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i use a lot of one pot meals. . same idea just in a pot!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Excellent ideas folks. Thanks.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My lazy cooking is a slow cooker. Love it, especially in winter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sheet pan dinners are great in the winter! I do a pork tenderloin with roast veggies, generally butternut squash, beets, onions, turnips, and sweet potatoes. You can do something similar with chicken pieces, but I prefer instead of a roasting sheet to use a shallow pan with a marinade, so the chicken doesn't get dry.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Are there Vegetarian versions?
  • rheddmobile
    Options

Sure! Just include a protein source and you're good. I like to do tofu this way, coated in BBQ sauce.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options

I do this every Sunday. Several sheet pans of butternut, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, cauliflower, beets. Then divide by 5 bowls and add a half cup cooked brown rice and a half cup beans to each. Eat big bowl every day for Lunnch. Sometimes toss over steamed broccoli if I'm really hungry. Holds up great in the fridge through the week.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

I do this every Sunday. Several sheet pans of butternut, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, cauliflower, beets. Then divide by 5 bowls and add a half cup cooked brown rice and a half cup beans to each. Eat big bowl every day for Lunnch. Sometimes toss over steamed broccoli if I'm really hungry. Holds up great in the fridge through the week.

Do you have this written down somewhere and can share? With measurements I mean? Do you put oil or spices on the veggies before they bake?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip: instead of using tinfoil or cooking sprays, try using parchment paper to line your sheet pan. Nothing sticks to it!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I make fajitas this way all the time. It is great for easy clean up. Being single, and not good at cooking for one, this is one of my go too recipes. I actually eat it like a fajita one day, then with rice as a burrito bowl, sometimes just the protein and veggies.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Do you have this written down somewhere and can share? With measurements I mean? Do you put oil or spices on the veggies before they bake?

When I roast a big pan of veggies I usually use a tablespoon of olive oil and it's usually enough. I like to play around with spices and thyme, oregano, basil, and parsley have been some of my favorites to season with. I also do a tiny bit of salt and pepper. If you check out Pinterest or google there are tons of recipes for roasted Veggies!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of one pot and sheet pan meals during the work week. Making this tonight...

http://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2016/10/21/lemon-garlic-parmesan-baked-salmon-with-green-beans-mushrooms/#more-19401
  • rheddmobile
    Options

I use spray olive oil in order to keep the calories low. You can put any spices on it you like - sometimes I use an Italian mix, sometimes cinnamon or pumpkin spice, sometimes garam masala, sometimes cumin and chili powder. One thing to remember is that a little bit of added salt makes the surface of the vegetables drier and more crispy, which you may or may not want, depending.