Options
2»

Replies

• billyeann90
    billyeann90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    How many calories a day did MFP come up with for after you set your goals to lose one pound a week?

1330 but I've been eating approximately 1100 a day

At your height of 5'6" (same as me) and weight of 242, at 1100 calories a day, you are undereating, which can lead to burnout and binging.

I've been your weight, and I know a pound or two a week feels frustratingly slow. However, the time will pass before you know it.

When I started focusing on foods that satiated me and slowly adding exercise, I immediately felt better, and that was more important than big losses on the scale every week.

So far I've been making it work but I didn't realize I was under eating.. According to mfp I should eat 1330 calories a day. I always try to stay under some days I'm right at 1200-1300 but most days in at 1100 and I feel like a snack after dinner is a bad idea so I just stay at the amount I have after dinner.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How many calories a day did MFP come up with for after you set your goals to lose one pound a week?

At your height of 5'6" (same as me) and weight of 242, at 1100 calories a day, you are undereating, which can lead to burnout and binging.

I've been your weight, and I know a pound or two a week feels frustratingly slow. However, the time will pass before you know it.

When I started focusing on foods that satiated me and slowly adding exercise, I immediately felt better, and that was more important than big losses on the scale every week.

So far I've been making it work but I didn't realize I was under eating.. According to mfp I should eat 1330 calories a day. I always try to stay under some days I'm right at 1200-1300 but most days in at 1100 and I feel like a snack after dinner is a bad idea so I just stay at the amount I have after dinner.

Nope, consistently undereating is the bad idea!
    If you don't want to snack after dinner, plan your meals better so you get more calories.
  • billyeann90
    Options
    Since everybody else has the advice portion pretty well covered, I am confused on a point...

At one spot you are 110% committed to this.

At another you are 125% committed.

Is the truth that you are 117.5% committed?

If so how is one more than 100% committed at any given time?

Really? I was just saying I'm over committed to this. But then we have mister technical over here
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is not helpful at all, but I read "help count my macaroons." I was very ready to offer my expert help there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    rotill wrote: »
    This is not helpful at all, but I read "help count my macaroons." I was very ready to offer my expert help there.

1 for you, 2 for me. 1 for you, 2 for me :smiley:
    As long as we're counting macarons, not macaroons?
  • billyeann90
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Thank you and bell so much for the insight! Its helped a lot. Mfp tells me to eat 1330 calories a day and I usually try to hit mfp chart goals but I feel as of 150-200 carbs a day is too many. which is what lead me to wanting to learn to count the macros to keep a well balanced diet that will still promote weight loss while staying at 1100;1200 calories a day.

You've got good advice already about reasonable calorie goals, so please do take that on board.

But I have one other point that might be useful to carry with you into this journey...
    Do you feel that 150-200g carbs a day is too many in your head or in your body?

If it's your brain having this wacky idea, then just try the MFP calories and macros for a month or so, and see how it goes. Tracking 4 things really isn't that much worse than tracking one, although initially I found that it can lead to some rather peculiar dinners if you haven't paid attention to your macro split earlier in the day! (Hint: turn your phone sideways on the diary screen to get the macro split to show.)

If over that time it becomes clear that it's actually a physical feeling, then by all means start to tweak your macros to get the calories you need in a way that makes your body happy.

I honestly think that being able to isolate your brain's ideas from the signals your body is actually sending is really important in being successful with reaching body goals in general.

I'm very new to this. I really want to do everything the right way. I guess my mind is just trying incorporate different diets and somewhere find the best results. I truly overthink everything I do. Reading on the keto diet i though 50-100g carbs a day was the most to have to lose weight and 150g was to maintain. i am still working through signals of "thirsty and hungry"
    You have been extremely helpful thank you!
  • billyeann90
    Options
    It's important to get enough protein because as you lose weight eating enough protein helps you retain your muscle. At your current weight I would suggest you use the percentages,25 or 30. Going with .8-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight would be 193-242 grams of protein. That's 772-968 calories of the 1330 calories only for protein...doesn't leave you much room for anything else

It's important to get enough protein because as you lose weight eating enough protein helps you retain your muscle. At your current weight I would suggest you use the percentages,25 or 30. Going with .8-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight would be 193-242 grams of protein. That's 772-968 calories of the 1330 calories only for protein...doesn't leave you much room for anything else

Thank you so much!
  • billyeann90
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

1,100 calories isn't enough. 1200 calories before exercise is MFP's DEFAULT minimum. 1200 is for very petite AND sedentary women. 5'6" isn't petite.

You've said that you tried and failed before (always relapsed). Drastic calorie cuts and extreme changes lead to relapse. Besides you don't learn about current eating habits. You need to LEARN about your behavior to maintain.

Set your weekly weight loss goal for no more that 1.5 pounds a week and meet those calories. As you get closer to goal move that goal down to 1 pound a week, then 1/2 pound a week. If you add exercise, eat 50% of those calories too.

Macros - protein, fat and carbs help you figure out what is satiating. Macros are for medical issues. Macros are for training/fitness goals.

Thank you so much I will start incorporating more snacks into my day which will help!
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Since everybody else has the advice portion pretty well covered, I am confused on a point...

At one spot you are 110% committed to this.

At another you are 125% committed.

Is the truth that you are 117.5% committed?

If so how is one more than 100% committed at any given time?

Really? I was just saying I'm over committed to this. But then we have mister technical over here

There are a lot of helpful people here.. like the ones trying to prevent you from undereating then you have the people that just want to make sarcastic remarks thinking they're funny..try to ignore them if you can
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thank you and bell so much for the insight! Its helped a lot. Mfp tells me to eat 1330 calories a day and I usually try to hit mfp chart goals but I feel as of 150-200 carbs a day is too many. which is what lead me to wanting to learn to count the macros to keep a well balanced diet that will still promote weight loss while staying at 1100;1200 calories a day.

You've got good advice already about reasonable calorie goals, so please do take that on board.

But I have one other point that might be useful to carry with you into this journey...

If it's your brain having this wacky idea, then just try the MFP calories and macros for a month or so, and see how it goes. Tracking 4 things really isn't that much worse than tracking one, although initially I found that it can lead to some rather peculiar dinners if you haven't paid attention to your macro split earlier in the day! (Hint: turn your phone sideways on the diary screen to get the macro split to show.)

If over that time it becomes clear that it's actually a physical feeling, then by all means start to tweak your macros to get the calories you need in a way that makes your body happy.

I honestly think that being able to isolate your brain's ideas from the signals your body is actually sending is really important in being successful with reaching body goals in general.

I'm very new to this. I really want to do everything the right way. I guess my mind is just trying incorporate different diets and somewhere find the best results. I truly overthink everything I do. Reading on the keto diet i though 50-100g carbs a day was the most to have to lose weight and 150g was to maintain. i am still working through signals of "thirsty and hungry"

You don't have to do keto to lose weight. Many people eat lower fat, higher carb and lose weight. You don't have to make your diet fit something with a name or rules. You do you. Work out what you think is healthy. Work out what makes you feel healthy and happy mentally and physically. Work out what satisfies and satiates you. Eat that!
  • billyeann90
    Options
    40% carbs/ 30% fat/ 30% protein is a good breakdown and easy to set (edit) in your goals, here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    • Also, DON'T under eat. 1330 is probably even too low.
    • 40/30/30.
    • Eat all your calories; focus on Protein.
    • When you exercise enter it into the Exercise tab here and eat those extra couple hundred calories.

Eating too little leads to binges, depression, irritability, sleep problems, lack of energy, hair loss, brittle nails and dry skin and worst of all leads to giving up. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thank you so much!!! Makes sense 100% I would like to lose weight fast but I would rather lose weight and be healthy, keep it off and not give up everyone's advice has been extremely helpful!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You don't have to do keto to lose weight. Many people eat lower fat, higher carb and lose weight. You don't have to make your diet fit something with a name or rules. You do you. Work out what you think is healthy. Work out what makes you feel healthy and happy mentally and physically. Work out what satisfies and satiates you. Eat that!

Again, this^^. All of it! One thing that happens when some folks decide to make the change and lose weight is that they want to, as you said, "do everything the right way". The only right way for weight loss is calorie deficit and neither overeating nor under-eating. Eat a reasonable, well balanced diet and hit your calorie targets within =/- 5 to 10% each day. Get enough protein. That's it.

A couple of things that cause lack of compliance and dietary failure include, getting too complicated about it, getting too perfectionistic about it and getting too restrictive about it. It is a long term goal, not a quick fix.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One more to point out you don't need to do Keto or low carb to lose weight. Focus on the calorie goal, hit what MFP gives you and try to hit the protein goal. As you learn more, you can play with your macros to figure out what ratio works for you, but you can easily lose weight and eat 200 g of carbs a day.

Biggest thing is read the forum stickies, realize that everyone has different preferences for food and you need to learn what works best for yourself. Trying to stick to "(insert name here) diet" rarely works long term for most when the diet is too restrictive. Yes, it does for some, but it may not for you.
  • billyeann90
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Again, this^^. All of it! One thing that happens when some folks decide to make the change and lose weight is that they want to, as you said, "do everything the right way". The only right way for weight loss is calorie deficit and neither overeating nor under-eating. Eat a reasonable, well balanced diet and hit your calorie targets within =/- 5 to 10% each day. Get enough protein. That's it.

A couple of things that cause lack of compliance and dietary failure include, getting too complicated about it, getting too perfectionistic about it and getting too restrictive about it. It is a long term goal, not a quick fix.

Thank you I really needed to hear this! I think I've became obsessive. my mom made the statement "your becoming a calorie monster" which is true I won't even look at something unless I can see the calories. I think I've been doing okay! I've been staying at 1200ish calories a day and feel amazing!! Mfp goal is 1330.
  • billyeann90
    Options
    One more to point out you don't need to do Keto or low carb to lose weight. Focus on the calorie goal, hit what MFP gives you and try to hit the protein goal. As you learn more, you can play with your macros to figure out what ratio works for you, but you can easily lose weight and eat 200 g of carbs a day.

Biggest thing is read the forum stickies, realize that everyone has different preferences for food and you need to learn what works best for yourself. Trying to stick to "(insert name here) diet" rarely works long term for most when the diet is too restrictive. Yes, it does for some, but it may not for you.

You're 100% right I feel like here lately I've been doing things from 5 different diets but staying under my calories
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Thank you I really needed to hear this! I think I've became obsessive. my mom made the statement "your becoming a calorie monster" which is true I won't even look at something unless I can see the calories. I think I've been doing okay! I've been staying at 1200ish calories a day and feel amazing!! Mfp goal is 1330.

Eat 1330. Plus exercise calories - the mfp recommendation isn't something to aim to be under, it has a deficit already calculated in to it.
  • billyeann90
    Options

Eat 1330. Plus exercise calories - the mfp recommendation isn't something to aim to be under, it has a deficit already calculated in to it.

Okay! So I've been likely undereating. I'll try and get the rest of the calories I'm missing from protein. It seems as if its where im lacking the most right now which seems insane to me haha.
  • mmapags
    Options

This. The tool is designed to work. Don't second guess it. Undereating is stressful on the body. Hit the calories and eat back exercise calories for a month and see how it goes. If losing on schedule, great. If losing more, decrease deficit. If losing less, eat back less exercise calories.
  • billyeann90
    Options

This. The tool is designed to work. Don't second guess it. Undereating is stressful on the body. Hit the calories and eat back exercise calories for a month and see how it goes. If losing on schedule, great. If losing more, decrease deficit. If losing less, eat back less exercise calories.

Thank you! I've been over thinking too much I just need to relax and be patient lol
  • mmapags
    Options

Thank you! I've been over thinking too much I just need to relax and be patient lol

Lol! Yes! Deep breaths, deeeep breaths. And stay calm when the scale stalls or goes up. It's almost always water weight and is temporary. Consider a weight trend app. I use WeightTracker because I don't want one of the ones that connect to my Fitbit and MFP. I don't want my weight updated every day. The weight trending app helps calm the panic on the day you are up. You plug it in and the trend doesn't change much based on one day. It helps with taking a longer view. As an example, this week my weight has fluctuated at my morning weigh in by 2.2 lbs from day to day but my trending weight is down .2 since Monday.