Making the coffee to tea switch. Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I slowly reduced my amount of creamer over time and now I'm drinking black coffee. It's been six months of plain black coffee and I wouldn't drink it any other way now!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Chi Tea with sweetened vanilla almond milk
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Nondairy creamer has no lactose, so there really isn't any reason you have to give it up.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I made the switch about 9 months ago. I loved coffee, but always sweetened it, so giving it up was a big part of cutting out daily sugar. (I don't like the taste of stevia or any artificial sweeteners. Anything in a pink/blue/yellow packet tastes blech.)

I really like chai and went to that for a while but now I'm mostly drinking Republic of Tea Super Brain Boost, which is a delicious green tea blend with a little sweet fruitless from black currant. It took a while to get used to the milder flavor.

Another major reason I gave up coffee was because it was damaging my teeth. My dentist gave me a talk about how acidic it is, I sip on my morning drink all day and I was having problems with sensitive teeth. Tea is acidic, too, but not as much. And my breath is 1000 times better all day!

I actually tried to have a treat cup of coffee a few times since I quit but I can't handle the caffeine any more, I felt too jittery. I love my tea now.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Torani hazelnut syrup with 1-2 tbs coffee cream/half and half? ~45 cals per cup.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge coffee drinker and am doing the same. Coffee just sits weird lately. I do love Tazo teas. My favorite being Ginger Green Tea, it's light but flavorful, it's really good. Also a mint refresh tea is really good. I put nothing in my tea.

Also if you want to keep coffee, try cold brew (I put filtered water in a big mason jar, add the coffee grounds and let sit in the fridge overnight for 10-12 hours but no more. Then I run it through a filter and it's a lot smoother than hot brewed tea. Good luck!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    There are hazelnut black teas out there that might work.

https://www.stashtea.com/products/chocolate-hazelnut-black-tea
    http://www.svtea.com/Hazelnut-Black-Tea/productinfo/T0169/
    https://www.amazon.com/Tea-Forte-HAZELNUT-TRUFFLE-Loose/dp/B006TZFOVU
    http://www.spiceandtea.com/hazelnut-cookie-tea.html
    I love yerba mate. All the caffeine of coffee, plus vitamins and minerals and some feel good chemicals. It doesn't need sugar or milk, so it's a calorie free treat. I drink the mandarin flavoured stuff, and I love the taste. I also love green tea. I couldn't stand watching my calories being spent on coffee just to get caffeine.

Also, yerba mate is great as well. My favorite is called Jumpy Monkey from David's tea. It's a yerba mate and coffee blend. Brewing a cup right now as we speak.

I've actually got a tea problem (according to some) and usually have anywhere from 3-8 different cups day.

I too have a tea problem...*sips seventh cup of the day*
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

I too have a tea problem...*sips seventh cup of the day*

It's an awesome problem to have. :smile:

• zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It isn't an answer you can find in the grocery store, but I love David's Tea. They have some AMAZING flavored Chai teas in right now, including a pumpkin one I believe. I do know you can get them online. I drink both tea and coffee (black). Depends on the day and the flavor I am craving. https://www.davidstea.com/
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I like Jasmine Green Tea, Chai, and an herbal tea by Celestial Seasonings called Bengal Spice. Bengal Spice is my go-to if I need to quite cravings for sweets.

I like both Stevia and Monk Fruit sweeteners, but you might need to mix them with sugar at first until your taste buds become accustomed to it.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to mix black tea and some kind of flavored tea. Black coffee just isn't everyone's...cup of tea so to say. Black tea still has plenty of caffeine if that's what you're going for.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Green tea with peppermint is nice.
    Ice teas with lemon.
    Vanilla Chai with almond milk.
    Orange tea with spices.
    The list goes on.... :)B)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chia spice and mint chamomile tea are my favorite
  • Aidnos
    Aidnos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm another tea addict. I recommend loose leaf if you can get it. Some supermarkets carry it, some don't. If yours doesn't, you can order it online or your city/town might have a local tea retailer. (Tucson, where I used to live, had three indie tea retailers stores that I know of and it's not even that big a city.) One advantage of loose leaf is that you can control how much you steep at a time so you can get a stronger or weaker flavor without over- or under-steeping. Basically, loose leaf gives you more flexibility to experiment and figure out what ratio of tea amount to steeping time you like best. Also, it's usually better quality tea. (Although there are some really bad loose leaf teas and some pretty good teabag teas. So loose leaf doesn't necessarily = good. The very best teas, however, will always be loose leaf.) If loose leaf isn't an option, some of the better supermarket bag teas that I can think of off hand are Republic of Tea, Stash, and Rishi.

I usually go for a strong black tea in the morning, sometimes unflavored, sometimes a flavored tea like Earl Grey. (Earlier today I had an Irish Whiskey Creme flavored black tea from Chantilly Tea. https://chantillytea.com/collections/black-tea/products/irish-whiskey-cream ) The flavored teas will give a perception of sweetness without any sugar. For black tea, I recommend adding a small dash of milk, about a tablespoon--it doesn't just add taste, it chemically alters the property of the tea to decrease the natural bitterness. I usually also take my tea with a tiny bit of sugar because I have a massive sweet tooth, but even so it only takes about half a teaspoon for it to taste plenty sweet to me, like dessert. The whole thing ends up having about 30 calories, and something like that might have enough sweetness and flavor and caffeine to feel like a good replacement for your coffee.