Bad vs good calories

Apart from the obvious health benefits of eating healthy food, does it make a difference where your calories come from? I eat very healthy in the week and then eat junk on weekends but I stay within my calorie deficit, but I seem to pick up weight on weekends. Is this because of the kind of foods I'm eating? Is it not as simple as calories in calories out?

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter if you maintain the deficit. You are likely gaining weight from increased water weight due to sodium and/or carbs. Remember you have to eat a surplus of 3,500 calories to gain a pound of fat.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    For me I eat healthy meals and indulge a little with my snackage. If I want a freaking doughnut and it fits my cals I have one. But....you do need to watch your sugar, sat fat and sodium levels. I have trouble with these three honestly. Maybe just have one treat a day or every other day. Don't limit yourself to just the weekends or you'll pig out (speaking from experience). Yes you'll lose weight but where will that leave your health at? Health is important. Many people would argue against this and say that it doesnt matter what you eat just watch your calories. All in all its up to you really. Whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink it. ;) So to speak.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Bad calories: calories that I don't enjoy
    Good calories: calories I enjoy

It makes a difference where I get my calories from. If I'm forcing myself to eat something because it's "healthy" or some other reason I'm prone to "rage-quitting" because the food is joyless which does my weight loss no favors. It can also be when I eat something I'm not really enjoying just because it's there, I consider these calories wasted and try to have better judgement when possible. This has been a hard habit to break but I'm finally free from it.

It also makes a difference how I plan my calories around more calorific foods. If I don't plan well I end up overeating or being more hungry than I should have been.

If I don't allow myself things I enjoy like, say, ice cream, when I want it (note, this is not the same as telling myself I can have it tomorrow) my dieting gets shaky and I tend to overcompensate with other foods. So in a sense, budgeting some calories for something like this or planning it for another day affects my weight positively.

Scale weight? I don't concern myself too much with it. It goes up and down as it pleases with sodium, recovery, hormones...etc. If I'm smart with my calories in a way that allows me to sustain a deficit over time the weight will drop off eventually regardless of what I eat, but I do like many nutritious foods, so nutrition is not a problem for me.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Julani34 wrote: »
    Interesting. Thanks guys. Would never have considered it like that. I have been thinking how counting calories is almost too easy and that i can eat anything with good portion control. However my conscience was convincing me I'm being punished for eating chocolate on a diet. I've only ever done diets that have been restricting. This is a very new concept and strangely freeing.

I know, right? It's been a crazy experience realizing that weight loss really is much more straightforward than the zillions of books and gurus make it out to be. Your body isn't punishing you for eating chocolate! I have found that I always gain 1-2 pounds after eating pizza, even if I'm within my calories and only have a slice or two. It's just my body retaining water, and it's always gone in a few days, so now I enjoy my pizza without fear!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    There's good chocolate and bad chocolate. Try to find chocolate that doesn't have soy in it at all and that is lower in sugar. One of my favorite snacks is a piece of Alter Eco brand Organic Dark Chocolate 90% Cocoa Super Blackout with some no sugar added peanut butter and a cup of hot tea... Very filling and satisfying.

The only bad chocolate is stuff you don't enjoy. Or Hershey's, because gross.

At one time I'd say try Cadbury but since the take over its becoming sadly more "candy" than chocolate. Now I'd say lindt.

I don't care, I'm immature and I still giggle when I have their "popping candy" chocolate. I love it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    There's good chocolate and bad chocolate. Try to find chocolate that doesn't have soy in it at all and that is lower in sugar. One of my favorite snacks is a piece of Alter Eco brand Organic Dark Chocolate 90% Cocoa Super Blackout with some no sugar added peanut butter and a cup of hot tea... Very filling and satisfying.

At one time I'd say try Cadbury but since the take over its becoming sadly more "candy" than chocolate. Now I'd say lindt.

Lindt or Godiva, yum! And Giredheli or whatever it's called.

Can't stand Hershey.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017

Nope. Might be your preference but there is no good or bad chocolate. Its all about preference and nutrients.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

I'm a Brit so I'm feeling you on the Cadbury change, though I will still eat it if in the mood for some trashy chocolate. I think Milka might be one of my favourites, in particular Milka Daim. Ritter Sport (no, I don't know why it's called that) is pretty good too.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    "Good" foods contain micronutrients whereas most junk foods do not. A weekend off shouldn't kill your diet, but overall keep an eye on them because they are required for proper metabolism and metabolism affects weight gain and loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/287094-micronutrient-diets-to-lose-weight/

"The lack of micronutrients — or vital, small portions of vitamins and minerals — in your diet has been linked to an increased risk of obesity, according to the “Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.” Micronutrients are found in nuts, meats, vegetables, fruits, seafood, beer, wine and numerous other dietary sources. Several popular diet plans include healthy micronutrient foods.

The Mediterranean Diet
    The Mediterranean Diet is perhaps the healthiest diet for weight loss. According to the American Heart Association, there is no single Mediterranean Diet; the 20-plus Mediterranean countries, along with their regions, have diverse diets. However, the basic components of this nutritious diet include a high constitution of micronutrient-rich foods. This diet contains an abundance of olive oil, pasta, fruits, vegetables, whole-wheat breads, potatoes, beans, nuts, fish and poultry as well as wine.

Zone Diet
    The Zone Diet, developed through years of study in bio-nutrition by Barry Sears, Ph.D., is a balance of 40 percent healthy carbohydrates, 30 percent proteins and 30 percent fats, according to Vanderbilt University. This diet recommends eating healthy, micronutrient-containing foods from each group, including vegetables, whole grains, fruits, fish, chicken, turkey, low-fat dairy products and olive oil. Its main premise is to maintain a balance between healthy carbohydrates and protein to decrease insulin boosts, which Sears claims are responsible for extra body fat.

DASH Diet
    The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, or DASH, Diet is not only nutritious and beneficial for high blood pressure but it can also help you lose weight, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. A study by James A. Blumenthal and others, regarding the effects of the DASH diet on weight loss, was published in the “Archives of Internal Medicine.” Research participants followed the DASH diet at a lower calorie intake and increased their levels of physical activity. The subjects lost weight, in addition to improving their blood pressure, claim investigators. This low-sodium diet suggests eating micronutrient-rich foods with potassium, magnesium, calcium, protein and fiber such as fruits, vegetables, fat-free or reduced milk products, whole grains, nuts, fish and poultry."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    My current favorite chocolate is Chocolove (I'm obsessed with the 88% dark), but really there are so many good and interesting chocolate options, and people have different taste preferences. I also have a weakness for chocolate with nuts and chocolate with cherry or raspberry.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    so agree that no food (or calorie) is good or bad. It is all a choice.