Yoga for weightloss. Fact or myth

Options
Or does it mainly help with toning? And will toning be beneficial at all with so many layers of fat over it. I'm currently 20 kgs overweight. Will yoga do anything for me at all. I usually jog but I have an injury preventing me from doing so. Also which is better, pirates or yoga? I tried pirates but hated it.

Replies

• Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also if yoga helps, please send recommendations. Dvd or YouTube or app.
  • bachries8950
    bachries8950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do both yoga and aeropilates. I find the yoga is much easier to do after a 50 lb wgt. loss, it helps with flexibility mostly now (I have scoliosis). I found that mat pilates rather difficult as I couldn't keep my body in the exact way needed; but aeropilates (a machine sold online particularly on QVC) forces you to be aligned and helps build tone and flexibility as well. Both take some build up to do--time to know the exercises and time to adjust to the difficulty involved. Aeropilates can also be made more difficult over time with added weight or changed movements. I also found that I couldn't initially feel the muscles involved very well, but over time have been able to do so. Good luck with whatever you do.
  • kquiles1
    kquiles1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've unintentionally lost 10lbs with yoga in the past. Any physical activity will assist in losing weight as long as you're active. You basically need more calories out than in. So you can not lose weight with out diet as well. So my best advice is find a physical activity you love. Something you find yourself thinking about when your not doing it. Don't waste your time on something because you think it will help especially if you don't like it.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like an app called Yoga Studio. It's more calm and meditative than some of the other ones I've tried. It has several different routines at varying lengths or you can build your own.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There are so many kinds of yoga. A really good flow class can leave you a sweaty mess, gasping for air on the floor. I hate those. A really good yin/dao class can leave you a relaxed, blissed out puddle, trying to peel yourself off the floor. I love those. Therefore, I do yoga for meditation, relaxation, flexibility, and other goals, but I dont even count it as a work out. Depends on what you're into.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yoga isn't going to burn a lot of calories, but it (IMO) improves balance tremendously. Also, it's a great recovery exercise.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a good exercise for all ages and comes in many forms. I taught yoga for seniors at the hospital I worked and for many of them it was the only the exercise they ever got. Now that I'm a senior I've found it to be a good way to ensure I get some exercise every day as I know I'm not going to go to the gym like so many of the younger people do. I also like Pilates which is a little more rigorous. I have many DVD's and am able to work out from home which is a big plus for me. It doesn't burn a lot of calories (many are only 20 or 30 minute workouts), but every little bit counts.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like doing yoga on rest days. It doesn't burn many calories.

I don't know the specifics of your injury, but if you have access to a rowing machine, rowing is great cardio when use of your legs is limited for some reason. There's not much impact, and you can even set the seat to let you use arms only if you have to.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The great thing about yoga is that you can mix and match according to your needs. On cardio days I'll focus more on flexibility practice (I do a short practice both before and after walking/running/hiking) to stretch my muscles and warm up/cool down, strength days I'll go with more energetic flows that work my arms and core a decent amount, and if I'm not feeling the love for my lower body circuit I'll do a practice that focuses on butt and thighs, and on rest days I'll do more of a deep stretch, or if I'm really tired some very gentle yin yoga.

The other great thing is that you get to impress your friends doing stuff like this*

https://youtu.be/t5TLqXd786g

*NB it takes time to be able to sink this deep, and especially do the forward fold down and up again, that takes hella balance and core strength.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am doing yoga for the flexibility, balance, toning and breathing benefits. I am doing Yoga with Tim at the moment, and have done Sarah Beth Yoga as well. Both have a 30 day challenge. I didn't like Yoga with Adrienne as she was a bit too spiritual for me. I want to learn how to do it, and the patterns, and don't mind some of the talk about energy but Adrienne got a bit much for me. I like the way it gets you to calm, and center yourself - great when I'm busy and stressed. It also helps me sleep better at night, and when my lower back was causing me agony, I did the lower back and hip videos with Sarah Beth and I went from needing pain killers and deep heat at night to be able to sleep, to being pain free.

As a weight loss, not so much, I use it as a supplement to my other exercise, so I do 30 minutes of yoga at lunch time, and do a fitness blender workout in the evenings, with a short bedtime yoga video if I can - or swap it around like today! Doing my HIIT and abs workout at lunch, and will do Yoga this evening.

ETA it's GREAT for core strength, I've really noticed the difference since starting
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Huh, interesting, I've found Adriene (with one n) to be about the least 'woo' yogi on the interwebs. Primary reason I've stuck with her is that I don't have to put up with that annoying syrupy voice you get with most yoga instructors, and she talks very little about the spiritual side of yoga. Are you sure you're not confusing her with someone else?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I'm not sure that I credit it with my weight loss, but I do credit it with better balance, flexibility and core strength. If you like it, do it. If not, find something else.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Myth. It doesn’t help much with toning.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, yoga is fantastic for strength and flexibility, but not great for calorie burn. I find it an excellent complement to running. With regards to its toning properties, that toning is you building some muscle, and when you do lose that extra 20kg, your hard work on the yoga or pilates mat will reveal itself!! As for which is better - the one you enjoy more is better.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I like yoga and there are a lot of different types of yoga too. These days I use yoga to help with muscle recovery and to improve my body alignment. It helps me to lift more safely