!*NEW*! What are some great recipes?

Gugmike
Gugmike Posts: 4 Member
I'm new here. Trying to live a more healthy and active life style. Losing weight and building muscle along the way would be great. Anyone want to share some great meals/snacks they make/eat with me!?

Replies

• Gugmike
    Gugmike Posts: 4 Member
    Anything?
  • stacj27
    stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
    I get a lot of recipes off of youtube. I'll usually type in something I want to make and find people to follow who seem to make things I like. Also SkinnyTaste will always be a classic and All Recipes has a lot whole bunch of categories under their diet and health category.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    You could read some of the other threads in this Recipe forum. The MFP blog frequently has recipes too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Copying a reply I wrote from another thread about how how I do it:
    What do you like? Pick a protein, a vegetable, and a starch you like (or whatever combination you like your meals to include) then search for something that includes them on google.

Example 1: right now I'm thinking eggplants, potatoes, and beans, so I enter "eggplants potatoes beans recipe". Sometimes I switch to image search to go by pictures. This looks interesting to me, unfortunately it doesn't have beans so I would be missing my protein. Google round 2. I already have my main dish, so why not make a bean salad for a side? I googled "bean salad recipe". This looks interesting, but they use too much oil which would make it too high in calories. I may need to reduce the amount of oil until the calories look good to me. And there you have it. It's a meal.

Example 2: I have a bunch of cookbooks lying around. Most general purpose cookbooks include many nutritious dishes. I find something that looks good to me and build my meal around it to include more protein/vegetables/starch if needed.

Example 3: there are cooking websites or recipe databases out there that I like to use sometimes.
    Here is one I've been playing around with lately: http://worldrecipes.expo2015.org/en/
    I use this one when I'm pressed for calories because it gives an approximate "calories per gram", posting an example of a search, in this case eggplant, and I would would go with a miso eggplant because it's under 1 calories per gram and sounds good to me if I were pressed for calories: http://www.foodily.com/s/Eggplant

Example 4: pick a meal you like and make it lighter if possible. For example, a pasta dish can be made lighter by bulking it up with vegetables and reducing the fat a bit. This way you would be able to eat the same amount of pasta with nearly half the calories.
  • Lemcc2
    Lemcc2 Posts: 1 Member
    Pinterest has a lot of great recipes to look at!