!*NEW*! Help me build an gym routine!

Thinking about hitting the gym. Ideally I'd like to achieve a lean / shredded body build. I have a BMI of 22 according to my scale (I inputted my height, age, gender and it did the rest when I stepped on the scale). Have no idea where to start so any suggestions, exercises, and routines that you recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Gugmike
    Gugmike Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Go to this thread and pick one of the beginner routines.

Do not spend your time building a routine. Rather, take advantage of the fact that these tried and true solid routines exist and spend your time working on proper form and technique.

If your BMI is 22, I'd suggest eating at maintenance while lifting for now. You're in a good spot for some newbie gains.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Came in to post that thread. I started with Stronglifts 5X5. ♥ ♥ ♥ Stronglifts.
  • rachelnettles
    rachelnettles Posts: 9 Member
    I had no idea where to start years ago when I started lifting. I was introduced to the Men's Health Book of Muscle and it helped me tremendously. It has Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced routines, and each routine tells you exactly what exercises to do, and the sets and reps. It also has detailed explanations on HOW to do the exercises, which was important for me going from machines to free weights.
  • sassysisterjd
    sassysisterjd Posts: 41 Member
    I second the suggestion for stronglifts. There is even an app for it, with lots of little videos demonstrating proper form. Also it focuses on compound movements, rather than isolation exercises, which is ideal for starting out. I love it.