recipe box calories or kilojoules difference

Options
lmaharey
lmaharey Posts: 5 Member
Hi Im new to this site & love the ability to download recipes in the recipe box.
however I'm disappointed when i try to match the ingredients the come up in kilojoules (which is what I want) BUT the ingredients that don't match & I search for come up in calories so I don't have a true kilojoule count for the recipe. Is there somewhere I can go to rectify this please??????

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something from your post here, but are you saying you're getting a mixture of values in Calories and kJ depending on what food you log into your recipe?

I'm pretty sure that the mfp database is meant to automatically convert between kJ and kcal. Are your settings for your profile in kJ? Once you select the item and add it to your recipe it should adjust the final value to kJ accordingly (you can always check this manually by multiplying the Calorie value by 4.184 for each ingredient to make sure it's doing it properly).

tbh, you're the first person I've seen on mfp who actively uses kJ instead of Calories on the site (I'm Aussie and even though our nutritional panels are in kJ I still use Cals so I can work with smaller numbers), so maybe it doesn't and it's just something I've never come across before.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use kj (also Aussie), and have noticed a bit of a bug in the recipe builder - when using a computer to add ingredients to a recipe, it adds then as calories instead of kj, despite the rest of the recipe being in kj.

But if you save your changes, then go back to the recipe, it corrects itself, and the nutritional info is correct (provided you've chosen the correct entry!)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    buzz3d269 wrote: »
    I use kj (also Aussie), and have noticed a bit of a bug in the recipe builder - when using a computer to add ingredients to a recipe, it adds then as calories instead of kj, despite the rest of the recipe being in kj.

But if you save your changes, then go back to the recipe, it corrects itself, and the nutritional info is correct (provided you've chosen the correct entry!)

Well there we go. The recipe builder is buggy at the best of times, so this isn't to surprising. I still get 2000 cal garlic cloves.