Women only: do you gain weight before your period?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just posted to my feed on the very same matter because I know originally I didn't realise quite how much weight I was gaining from hormonal swings and although I often feel bloaty around my period and ovulation, I'm a broad shouldered, broad hipped lass and it doesn't show so much in the mirror and I would never have guessed it was around 5-7lbs

Back in the days when I used to use MFP without using the forums, eat The 1200 and weigh weekly I would rage quit, thinking whatever I was doing wasn't working. When actually my initial losses were just masked by water retention and I usually experience a whoosh the day after my period.

As an example my weights for the last week were as follows (finished period Sunday morning):

Tuesday: 100.5kg
    Wednesday: 101.1kg
    Thuesday: 100.3kg
    Friday: 100.6kg
    Saturday: 100.9kg
    Sunday: 100.7kg
    Monday: 98.3kg
  • iraspiritia
    iraspiritia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Be thankful you only "gain" 1-2lbs every month, some women can put on 6-7lbs :open_mouth:

My standard 1 kg is bad enough. I can't even imagine how ridiculous I'd look with 3-3.5 kg!

I did, during my last period I gain 3.5 kg, during my period, not before. It's really frustrating. Last monday I weighed 117.8 kg, the next morning I had my period and boom, just like that I gained 3 kg, I weighed 120.7 kg. This morning I'm back to 117.5 kg. Just to make it worse, I always have bad cramps during my period, so I can't workout, even if it's just leisurely walk.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes my weight goes up a couple lbs the few days leading into my period and then drops back off after I start.
  • kayla25mfp
    kayla25mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this thread. I mean, I know that I gain weight before my period, but this is my first month on here consistently and I've been doing good so far. It would be easy to forget just how much of a difference that can make. I don't want to get frustrated OR end up restricting my calorie intake more the week afterwards because I don't think I'm doing enough.
    It's a good reminder that I should give myself a few weeks before assuming what the scale says means that I need to start changing my diet again.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Of course. It's water weight related to hormone changes. If you don't overeat during your period, the water weight and weight you would have lost during that time will all go away following your period. It's normal and not preventable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Every single time. Anywhere from 1 lb to 6. It's annoying because if the gain is on the higher end it messes up my moving average a bit, but that's all it is, annoying. Nothing to be worried about.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

It's actually quite sad. My mom did a great job teaching me about the things I'll go through as a woman. My daughter is 5 and already knows all about the stuff.

To O/P, it's totally normal as everyone else has said. For me it really depends. One month I might go up a few pounds on the scale and the next month the scale won't go up at all.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

Was just going to say the exact same thing. Like, how do people not notice blowing up like a wee balloon every month (or twice a month in some cases)? I understand that many people possibly don't weigh themselves regularly until they start trying to lose weight, but there are physical signs (the lacing of my Chuck Taylors is a dead giveaway for me, along with chubby fingers and a puffy belly). Though I guess maybe a kilo or two of water weight isn't so obvious if you're carrying a lot of extra weight?

I weighed 150 pounds overweight when I started and I'm now about 105 pounds overweight. I can't tell a difference in how my clothes fit or how my body feels when I'm retaining water.

I had no idea I gained two pounds of water weight a few days before my period and lost it the day it started until I started tracking my weight daily for a couple months.

I knew most women bloated beforehand, but I didn't know that I did too.

I'm carrying a few pounds of water weight right now from starting an exercise program. Can't tell. I never know when I have a "food baby" either. I never knew if a body part was swollen from injuries either (not usually the case, but happened a couple times). Now that I've slimmed down some I can notice swelling in my arms in legs, which still doesn't happen often thankfully!

I'm just too fat to notice small changes in my body. I look forward to the day when I know my period is due because my pants don't fit right. I forget otherwise and have to look at my husband's computer projected date.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »

Was just going to say the exact same thing. Like, how do people not notice blowing up like a wee balloon every month (or twice a month in some cases)? I understand that many people possibly don't weigh themselves regularly until they start trying to lose weight, but there are physical signs (the lacing of my Chuck Taylors is a dead giveaway for me, along with chubby fingers and a puffy belly). Though I guess maybe a kilo or two of water weight isn't so obvious if you're carrying a lot of extra weight?

I weighed 150 pounds overweight when I started and I'm now about 105 pounds overweight. I can't tell a difference in how my clothes fit or how my body feels when I'm retaining water.

I had no idea I gained two pounds of water weight a few days before my period and lost it the day it started until I started tracking my weight daily for a couple months.

I'm carrying a few pounds of water weight right now from starting an exercise program. Can't tell. I never know when I have a "food baby" either. I never knew if a body part was swollen from injuries either (not usually the case, but happened a couple times). Now that I've slimmed down some I can notice swelling in my arms in legs, which still doesn't happen often thankfully!

I'm just too fat to notice small changes in my body. I look forward to the day when I know my period is due because my pants don't fit right. I forget otherwise and have to look at my husband's computer projected date.

Thank you for this. I will remember to be more mindful of that in future :)
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options

No worries. Just thought I'd chime in with my experience. This is just an ancedote of course, other large women may very well have different experiences. I can't speak for us all! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

No worries. Just thought I'd chime in with my experience. This is just an ancedote of course, other large women may very well have different experiences. I can't speak for us all! :)

Mine was not (and still not) different. I don't notice bloating until I step on the scale. The only difference is that I know with 100% certainty it's coming without having to check for a projected date. My appetite makes it known. The week right before I'm unusually and insatiably hungry.
  • bonshont
    bonshont Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can gain anywhere from 3 to 8 pounds just from my period. It normally happens the day before I get it. Drink a lot of water and it won't affect you as much
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Mine was not (and still not) different. I don't notice bloating until I step on the scale. The only difference is that I know with 100% certainty it's coming without having to check for a projected date. My appetite makes it known. The week right before I'm unusually and insatiably hungry.

Yeah I get the insatiable hunger a day or two before TOM. With water retention I may in part just be more conscious of the physical bloat because I see it on the scale, then look at my hands and belly and go 'oh, yeah...'. Though Chuck T's are a dead giveaway, and I have to remember to wear my bigger sized trail socks if I'm walking/running/hiking (my skin doesn't like anything too tight, instant recipe for eczema on my feet and ankles). My cycle is a bit variable, so the water weight and drop off can be a handy indicator of when things are going to happen (especially ovulation, which occasionally doesn't give me its usual searing pain as I pop an egg out).
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options

I don't get that either. Sometimes I get a craving for salt, but not always, so that doesn't work for a predicter.

I do get a bit more cranky though. When my husband or my mom start to bug me a little more than usual, i usually start in a couple days. I don't always notice the cranky though, I just chalk it up to being tired or something.

I know you don't normally hear women say this, but I wish I had a bit (just a little) more PMS! I'm usually surprised by my period, even with the weight gain before hand, because weight can fluctuate on its own. I hate being surprised by it.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Be thankful you only "gain" 1-2lbs every month, some women can put on 6-7lbs :open_mouth:

Yep, true story, I'm one of them and I'm only 5' 3"!
  • Catinthehat1971
    Catinthehat1971 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have started retaining a lot of water when I get my period. A friend of mine was advised by there doctor to take extra vitamin c for a few days starting before her period and that got rid of it. It is safe to exceed rda of vitamin c, so I intend to try it. Ymmv.*
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    A week before my period, I crave beef (burgers!), gain 1-2 lbs right in the midsection, and tear up at the slightest insult/offense/challenge. During my period, I'm just irritated and have muscle aches. It's been that way since college when I weighed anywhere between 190-200lbs.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    i gained like 5% of my body weight during one of my recent periods. It can be a lot. I drink way more water (prolly retaining it) and I eat a bit more. Per the consensus of this thread, this is all totes normal.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is normal. I understand that some people were raised different, and parents didn't talk to them about this. My parents never discussed sex or periods with me. Your uterus grows a thick layer in case of pregnancy throughout the month and when you don't get pregnant your body sheds that layer. I mean this is something you can search up on google easily if you don't know about it (not everything's true but find a reliable website). But I mean I think every woman should learn more about her anatomy and the way her body works as well.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's all water weight your body holds on too. It's only temporary, It'll come off a couple days after your period ends.