Open Discussion on Binge Eating

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @kimothy38 that's exactly why I don't watch TV anymore. It's way too easy to mindlessly go back and back to the pantry. Instead, I read and spend a lot more time walking the dog.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I have a mild case of BED. While I was growing up, my Mom was always on a diet and labeled foods and behaviors as "good" or "bad". It has stuck with me for all of these years. I was VERY restrictive for a long time (and lost ~45-50lbs), and it definitely caught up to me. Nowadays, I have a really difficult time refusing to eat foods I like even if I am at/over my calorie allowance for the day. I buy foods that I know I cannot stop eating (weird stuff like Irish soda bread), even though I hate myself when I'm done. It seems to be a never-ending cycle.
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @jayersmith Thank you for sharing! Sneaking food at night when no one's around sounds like it's very common; right up there with eating fast food in the car and throwing away the wrappers where no one will see them. I also relate with trying to replace unhealthy binge foods with healthier ones. I try to keep baby carrots on hand, and sometimes I'll go through a whole bag! But I remind myself that it's better than going through a box of crackers!
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @kimothy38 Thanks for sharing! That all sounds sooo familiar! Since my usual binge foods are sugary/starchy, I've also found that reducing my carbs and increasing my protein is helpful. The rebounds are difficult, but I'm working on learning to maintain my weight during binge periods, which is progress.
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @LeanButNotMean44 Thank you for sharing! I haven't been diagnosed with B.E.D. either, but I also suspect that I may have a mild case. I know I find it so helpful to talk to others who are in the same boat. Before I heard other people share their binge stories I sort of felt like I was the only weirdo who did those things.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with any sort of disorder, but binging has been my biggest progress killer. I've realized that finding ways to incorporate plenty of fruits, protein and fiber rich foods into my diet while on a budget and limiting the availability of the kinds of foods I tend to binge on helps. I have a treat, but not every day, and i also eat healthy foods I like that fill me up and add in some less nutritious stuff to get my sweets or carb fix, but avoid eating the super junky stuff on a daily basis, the stuff I tend to go crazy on when I get into binge mode. It's like I start eating and then I don't stop. I'm just riding the rush I get from eating.
    When I do get a treat, I try to only buy what will fit into my cals that day. Once it's gone, it's gone. Don't get me wrong, I still overeat at times, usually because of hunger and not having planned my meals in a way that would help me to stay in my calorie goal and not be too hungry. But I make up for those days of overeating, and they're not as bad as binge days. Most of all, I just stay positive and know that as long as I'm not binging, I'm making progress and am in control. :)
  • shipleyamye
    shipleyamye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is a book called overcoming binge eating which uses principles of cognitive behavioural therapy which I highly recommend. It is written by Dr Christopher Fairburn. It helps a person to understand the "why" behind their binges and provides concrete tools and techniques to help manage the behaviour.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It might help to treat yourself to some snacks here and there. Don't limit yourself on what food to eat because you will feel restricted and that leads to binge eating. You can eat whatever you want as long as it's within your calorie budget!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I find that mindfulness, affirmations, and getting up to walk around/do a few yoga poses can help with my binge eating. I'm a stress eater and eat my feelings, so it's not always about the food. Sure, I sometimes crave my favorites. But if I'm mentally ok I can follow a moderation plan.
  • Insain1
    Insain1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi
    ive been and still and down this path. What triggered it all off for me was the clean eating diets and exercise then followed by calorie counting. All this ended up to bullimia, now cbt ( counselling). Firstly why do we do it? well i was bored especially in the evenings after 4pm sit around with kids and eat and eat until usually theres no junk left, but why? because during the day id keep busy exercising and keeping to a boring clean esting diet. Then the evening comes and i craved all that food i had denied myself then felt guilty. Itd not easy to stop straighy away maybe you need a bit of professional help to see the deeper root to your problem ( apparently mines control, if im not in control of a situation i take it out on food). Theres many reasons why we do this were all different. Now im trying to stop my clean eating habit and yes the binge is slowly stopping but my weight has gone up so its about finding thst happy medium. Tjink what makes you do it write it down see if theres an underlying issue. Im now struggling with the weight but its baby steps i mean ivr been trying to get on the mend for almost a year now.
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @imanibelle *APPLAUSE!*
    These are excellent strategies! It sounds like you've put in a good deal of time and thought to find an approach that fits with your personality and lifestyle. Thank you for sharing!
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @shipleyamye I love book recommendations, Thank you! I've been hearing good things about CBT for a while now; maybe it's time I looked into it.
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @rickiimarieee Good tips! Thank you for sharing!
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @daydreams_of_pretty Thank you for sharing! I also find that when I binge eat it's often much more about relieving stress than it is about what I'm eating. I mean, when I'm in a full-on binge I'm not even really tasting the food. I also couldn't agree more with what you said about mindset and mindfulness - they have been instrumental to the successes I've managed so far.
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @Insain1 I want to acknowledge you for the hard work you've been investing in yourself - getting CBT, coming to understand how and why these behaviors developed, learning to be mindful, and developing self-compassion, all of these things can be difficult and sometimes painful, but they are so important! So, truly, congratulations on all your progress!

Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For books, I read “When Food is Love” by Geneen Roth. All of her books offer good insight into binge eating but this one speaks to me the most
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @aggiepringle6665 Yay, book recommendations! Thank you! I love hearing all the different resources that have helped people make progress!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I second Geneen Roth. Fabulous author.
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @moumallick6 Sound advice! Thank you for the link!