How much water?

Options
Since I started this journey a couple weeks ago, I have cut out everything to drink besides water. I am wondering, how much water are we actually supposed to drink each day? I have researched, and some sources say 64 oz, some say half your body weight. I make it my goal to drink at least 64 oz every day. If I were to drink half my body weight in water, I would have to drink almost 200 oz of water a day. At 64 oz, I feel like I'm using the bathroom constantly. I know it's flushing toxins out, and I definitely feel more hydrated. Being that I'm so big, should I be increasing my water even more than the 64 oz? If so, how much? I feel like 200 oz of water a day is a ridiculous amount to try and reach lol.

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Medically, you are supposed to drink enough to stay hydrated. Mayo Clinic has a good starting guide: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I read you are supposed to drink half your body weight in water a day. Another words take your body weight and divide it by 2. That is how many ounces of water a day you should drink. I have stuck to that and it works.
  • lgl003
    lgl003 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are different opinions on this. One website I found states that you should drink 2/3 of your body weight in ounces and also add on water for activity. Here is the link:
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

Also, here is another link to an online hydration calculator that takes into account many factors in your life:
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Hope that helps!!
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are different opinions on this. One website I found states that you should drink 2/3 of your body weight in ounces and also add on water for activity. Here is the link:
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

Also, here is another link to an online hydration calculator that takes into account many factors in your life:
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Hope that helps!!

I just did both of the web sites..they are real close to the same amount for me..thanks
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Another way to know for sure if you're well hydrated is by checking your urine. If it's pale yellow, you're spot on. If it's dark yellow/orange and has a bit of an odor, you're dehydrated. if it's clear you may be drinking a bit too much water. However, as with anything there are exceptions. Certain foods and medications (Rx and vitamins) can make your pee smell or have a strong color. If your pee is clear, you may just be drinking too fast. Make sure to sip, not chug.

How about trying for somewhere between 64 and 200oz per day? Make sure you get at least 64 regularly but try to get closer to 128oz per day. On the days you exercise make sure you get a minimum of 80oz.

Something else to keep in mind, if you're eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, you're going to get some hydration that way.

There's some debate around it but I also think decaf tea provides hydration.

And the constant peeing should taper off once your body adjusts.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It ridiculous to think that a web app could tell everyone how much water to drink a day without taking into account, their genetics, the climate they live in, the kind of work and and exercise they engage in, the natural water content of the types of food they eat, etc. So ignore any recommendations expressed in terms of a certain number of ounces. Your goal is to remain hydrated, and this is best determined by the color of your urine. There are plenty of resources on-line about this, but basically you are shooting for pale yellow. Dark yellow is an indication of dehydration.

While urine contains certain waster products ("toxin" is not an appropriate term), these are eliminated from the body "as needed" by the kidneys. Drinking more or less water doesn't result in more or less waste being removed from the blood stream, it only affects the concentration of them in the urine.

Water is good for you, so enjoy it. But you don't need to stress over it.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Drink untill you're not thirsty simples, there is no magic number that you have to drink, if your body needs water drink it!
  • KelleyGirl74
    KelleyGirl74 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You know Hollyby, I like to add a bit of Lemon juice to my water...fresh lemon, not bottled. Gives it a fresh taste and I drink a lot of it. I don't log it all here because I lose count at about 10. I have a cup that I drink from that is 24 oz. I drink like 6 a day. So, I'm sure I'm getting enough. Plus, it's hot here in Vegas so staying hydrated is the key. But I just say drink as much as you can. It fills you up and yes, you go to the bathroom a lot.

Nika :heart: