How do you know if you're ready for your first marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    +1 vote for building up your long run.

In the 14 months between my first HM and my first marathon this August, I did 18 runs of HM distance or longer.

No idea on weekly mileage. That all fluctuated depending on how much rest was required to stop niggles turning into injuries.

Some long runs had a time goal, some had a distance goal. So some were three hours (or more), some were over 30 km.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been running 10 years, though never further than 10k until this year. I did my first half marathon in March, and I'm about to do my first full marathon this sunday. It's actually been fairly easy building up from half marathon distance. Furthest distance I have done so far in training is 21 miles, the first part of that was a half marathon race where I got a massive ten minute PB, and then carried on running! Go for it, if I can do it, anyone can!
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been running 10 years, though never further than 10k until this year. I did my first half marathon in March, and I'm about to do my first full marathon this sunday. It's actually been fairly easy building up from half marathon distance. Furthest distance I have done so far in training is 21 miles, the first part of that was a half marathon race where I got a massive ten minute PB, and then carried on running! Go for it, if I can do it, anyone can!

Thanks for your input! Congrats on your first marathon this Sunday and good luck! Please post an update, I'd be curious to see how you felt at the finish line compared to the 21 mile in training.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you ready to run a marathon? Only you know the answer to that.

I guess there’s two parts to it:

1 - are you physically ready? Answer’s no right now but with 12 months to train you definitely can be.

2 - are you mentally ready? This is the bit only you can answer and remember it’s not just the marathon, it’s the commitment to the training plan too. I’d say the biggest factor in completing these challenges is your head, if that’s in the right place you can achieve anything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd probably break things up into 2 goals. A half-marathon next spring followed by the marathon in the fall.

Your current mileage would probably get you to a HM right now (Hal Higdon's HM training plans are typically about 12 weeks so you could relax a bit over the winter guilt free.

Hal's Marathon training plans typically run 18 weeks so there would be some overlap (coming off a HM no need to start right back at week 1 unless you needed some serious recovery).

If you really want to run one and diligently follow the training plan you should be fine (FWIW outside of triathlons my longest road race has been HM distance which i find to be a very enjoyable one.......I keep thinking about signing up for a full....one of these years)

My main goal is to stay active through the winter months so that I'll be in a good position for next year. I don't have any doubts about covering the HM distance. I ran a 10k race this weekend and felt really strong, the second half of the race was my fastest 5k which was a good feeling. Appreciate your input.

This might be off topic . . any first time triathlon advice? I was going to do a sprint race in the spring for fun. Started swimming laps at the high school pool one night a week. Wow . . talk about being sore after swimming some laps. I thought this will be easy, swim for an hour, piece a cake . . I was wrong! Got a whole lot more appreciate for you swimmers out there.

If you're running a sprint distance you're already golden in the running dept.

Swimming is hard, I think that's probably the most challenging part for most triathletes. Swimming is very technique oriented. Do you have a master's swim club or tri club that you could join for some coaching?There are some great resources on youtube (like effortless swimming) but nothing beats having a coach help with the mechanics. I'm still not a great swimmer but triathlons are rarely won with a fast swim time.....it's bike and run, but I have seen people DNF after the swim - get in the pool as often as you can over the winter and if the tri includes an open water swim get into open water as soon as you can (usual warning about swimming alone etc) it's completely different than the pool (currents, reduced viz, chop....) I actually prefer it to swimming laps which bores me to death.

For the bike, ride as often as you can. Time in the saddle really does translate into results. If you've got some hills to ride all the better (for winter fitness you can get a turbo trainer for your bike and workout to videos on youtube or join a spinning class) Probably worthwhile getting a really good bike fit done if you have someone locally.

Brick workouts....probably premature now but you want to get used to running off the bike. It's pretty comical the first few times, your legs may feel a little rubbery.

Transitions....there are some great videos on youtube, you want to rehearse your transitions. One less thing to worry about on race day.

Sprint distances can be a lot of fun....750m swim, 20K bike & 5k run, challenging without requiring obsessive training.

Get a copy of Joe Friel's "Your First Triathlon" & have fun!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've always said I'd never do a marathon, that I was happy with triathlon and half marathon distances. Problem is living in Chicago, I watch parts of the Chicago Marathon from the streets right by my place and I see so many people doing it and feel like I'm in better shape than a decent portion of them. So now I'm running Milwaukee in 2 weeks.

Highly recommend looking at Hal's training plans, both to see where you should be at the beginning of it and to see the time and distance commitments during.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd do the 1/2 and go from there...my wife is an avid runner and always thought she wanted to do a marathon...after her first 1/2, she decided that she was good with that and doesn't really have any interest in a full...but she enjoys doing 1/2s.

I'm kind of the same with cycling. I kind of have it in my head that I want to do a full century just to say I did it...but every time I do a 1/2 century I'm over it...

Yup, that's me. When I ran my first 5k, I immediately started training for a 10k. When I ran the 10k, I began training for a HM. When I ran the HM, I said OK, I'm done. I enjoy training for and running halfs, but have no desire to do a full. I think it would end up feeling like a chore rather than something I enjoy doing.

yep this is exactly how I view it. I am a running fiend and have no problem running halfsies, but I have no desire to try for a marathon. I don't want to potentially injure myself and have to be sidelined for an extended period of time, and i just have never felt the pull for 26.2.

Longest I've ever run is 20 miles, and I'm good with that.

ETA: but good luck with your marathon, should you choose to do it! I think 11-12 months prep time is plenty to be ready for a september 2018 marathon!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have run several full and halves and at various weights too! When I trained for the full each time, we worked up to 21 miles (took about 4 months when I wasn't in great shape to begin with, i.e. could only run 2 miles to start) on a weekend run with running 20 miles during the week in shorter runs (usually Monday-Thursday between 6-4 miles each day when I was getting down to the end of training). My coaches said if you can do 21 you can do 26. It was very true. Something about those last 5 is really just mental. Each time I trained I felt very prepared by getting to 21 miles for that long run. Oh, and 21 was about 3 weeks before the marathon, I tapered down the next 2 weeks and the last week was very light during the week (last run on Thurs for a Sunday marathon). There are a lot of really good guides on the internet too. I have finished full marathons at 180lbs and 145lbs, so if you have the desire to do it, you can! Just my 2 cents and always worked for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've always said I'd never do a marathon, that I was happy with triathlon and half marathon distances. Problem is living in Chicago, I watch parts of the Chicago Marathon from the streets right by my place and I see so many people doing it and feel like I'm in better shape than a decent portion of them. So now I'm running Milwaukee in 2 weeks.

Highly recommend looking at Hal's training plans, both to see where you should be at the beginning of it and to see the time and distance commitments during.

To me, that's one of the amazing things about the marathon. All sorts of people can accomplish it. It's about the training that you put in, not just what your body looks like.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a really good friend that done about ten races, think he's done Kona 3 or 4 times. I see him on my morning runs all the time, goes around me like I'm standing still . . lol . . swear I hear the roadrunner sound as he goes past.

It is hard to quantify just how hard it is to qualify for Kona. In my age group, a trip to Kona would also qualify me for the Boston Marathon - as in a 3:0x marathon.

My advice on working the core, ITB, hamstrings, etc., comes from hard-learned lessons. In race shape I am capable of running a 12:30 Ironman, but my actual finish is 14:30, because once the IT bands flair up, the rest of the day is shot. Neglecting the strength training and flexibility aspect was a major, major mistake I made.

quote="rodmelching;c-40557089"]
    This might be off topic . . any first time triathlon advice? I was going to do a sprint race in the spring for fun. Started swimming laps at the high school pool one night a week. Wow . . talk about being sore after swimming some laps. I thought this will be easy, swim for an hour, piece a cake . . I was wrong! Got a whole lot more appreciate for you swimmers out there.

Just do it - don't make it harder than it actually is. Sprints are an absolute blast. The best thing is getting brunch afterwards. If you are comfortable enough to handle the swim, the rest of it is just having fun.

Swimming sucks and if you didn't swim in high school or college, you are never going to be competitive. It is more akin to golf or tennis than running or cycling - it is 100% technique and 100% physical training. There are a lot of books and programs on swimming; I have tried several (and spent a fair amount of $$$), and nothing seems better or worse than the other.

I could write forever on the lessons I've learned in training, but it really comes down to the following:
    (1) Try to stay out of the "washing machine" on the swim, sight where you are going, and take it easier than you think you should.
    (2) Don't worry too much about transition times. You aren't in competition, so spending an extra 20 seconds getting your socks on is not a big deal.
    (3) That horrible feeling when you start to run after the bike will fade. Brick workouts are important if for no other reason that to give you the absolute knowledge that the "deathwish" feeling of running off the bike will fade away.

• Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input! Congrats on your first marathon this Sunday and good luck! Please post an update, I'd be curious to see how you felt at the finish line compared to the 21 mile in training.

Thank you! I will let you know how I get on, though I may well be coming back and telling you not to do one, it's hell haha!
  • Nomotivationalldiscipline
    Options
    You said you wanted it do it before 50.
    You are 48.
    Freaking run the thing.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    According to Runner’sWorld, running 20-23 miles a week and feeling comfortable running a long run of 10 miles.

I’ve run a half marathon distance 3 times now and I still don’t feel ready for a marathon. When I finish 13.1 miles I can’t imagine continuing to run for another 13.1! Plus, I’m not ready for the time commitment yet. Maybe when my youngest starts school full time.