Is it normal to feel dizzy when changing diet routines?

So I used to over eat a lot a lot. And now I'm on this 1,200 cal diet and today I feel dizzy and kinda spaced out. I had a granola bar for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch & water so I'm not sure why I feel like this.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Have you reduced salt intake significantly?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Sounds like too much of an extreme. Odds are that 1200 diet isn't necessary for you.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Dizziness can be caused by a drop in blood sugar, low blood pressure, or dehydration. I've experienced it when I have low iron. It can also be experienced by people giving up something their body is dependent on (caffeine, sugar). Of course it could also be an inner ear infection or another health issue.

I'd suggest getting your blood sugar and blood pressure checked. It may be that 1200 calories isn't quite healthy for you.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    elizabethdzenitis Posts: 63 Member
    Have you reduced salt intake significantly?

I used to douse my food in salt but like now I still put salt on my eggs
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    A granola bar isn't much food and a lot are no healthier than a candy bar. Maybe use a few more calories for breakfast to get some protein or something into your system. Also 1200 is too low for most people (consider too as your weight decreases so do your calories so when you start at the minimum you have no where to adjust to later - unrelated to your question but something to think about).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    1200 is minimum for safety for average sedentary woman.

You mention exercise - obviously not sedentary.

1200 appears to be too low.

You probably did overeat - but I'd wager you never logged how many calories that was, to see how extreme 1200 is now in comparison.
    And were you exercising prior even?
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    edited October 2017
    I say enter your stats into MFP, set an goal for a 1 lb loss a week (if you have less than 20 lbs to lose, go with a 1/2/ lb weight loss, eat the calories given you (including exercise), and go from there. Losing weight shouldn't be miserable. And yes, granola bars are basically glorified candy bars. No protein (unless you purchase actual protein bars), and a TTOOOONNN of sugar.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    If you plan on sticking to this diet which might not be the best idea for you, I would recommend using the calories a little more better. Like they said above that granola bars are glorified candy bars!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    So I used to over eat a lot a lot. And now I'm on this 1,200 cal diet and today I feel dizzy and kinda spaced out. I had a granola bar for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch & water so I'm not sure why I feel like this.

If you are not (1) petite AND (2) sedentary, you should most likely be eating more than 1200. If the site gave you 1200, (1) that is 1200 *net* and you want to eat back any exercise calories on top of it and (2) make sure it is a reasonable loss goal (2 lb/week is too aggressive for those who are not significantly obese, and even 1 lb/week could be too aggressive if only slightly obese). If you are eating back your exercise calories and confirmed that 1200 is fine, then look at what specifically you are eating. If most of that is coming from sugar/starch with little protein/fat/fiber (granola bar generally fits this description) to go along with it, then could likely be a sugar crash. 1 suggestion would be to at least have some yogurt with the granola bar.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 235 Member
    Looking at your dairy, you had nothing to eat for dinner last night and you've only had a protein bar and a half a sandwich so far today. I would be dizzy too. You need to recalculate your calorie totals based on your current weight, your activity level and a weight loss of one pound per week. I am also on 1,200 calories a day because I am only 5 feet tall, almost 60 years old and completely sedentary. I'm losing a little less than a pound a week now so some of us do need to be that low but not most people. If you are dizzy, it's most likely because you need to eat something.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Looking at your dairy, you had nothing to eat for dinner last night and you've only had a protein bar and a half a sandwich so far today. I would be dizzy too. You need to recalculate your calorie totals based on your current weight, your activity level and a weight loss of one pound per week. I am also on 1,200 calories a day because I am only 5 feet tall, almost 60 years old and completely sedentary. I'm losing a little less than a pound a week now so some of us do need to be that low but not most people. If you are dizzy, it's most likely because you need to eat something.

Yeah I didn't have dinner cause my lunch was practically my dinner. I ate chips and salsa as well but didn't write it down on the thingy lol. But yeah I think I'm gonna change it.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    heybales wrote: »
    1200 is minimum for safety for average sedentary woman.

You mention exercise - obviously not sedentary.

1200 appears to be too low.

You probably did overeat - but I'd wager you never logged how many calories that was, to see how extreme 1200 is now in comparison.
    And were you exercising prior even?

If exercise= walking to classes then I'm working out but otherwise I don't. So I'm not really sure where I mentioned it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Steps for sedentary is below 4000 - 7 days a week.

pretty much a bump on a log all day every day - with minimal movement.

If you are exercising, or not as the case is, or walking to classes as the case is - then still not sedentary.

How much time is spent walking to and between classes.

Walking up to my kids elementary school on open house, front door, lunch room, class room, back to lunch room, gym next door - got me 3K.

If that had been my 3 x as big high school - even more.
    Campus with classes in different buildings, even though less frequent moves - even more.

Majority of daily burn comes from resting metabolism - next is that daily activity, even more than purposeful exercise unless truly sedentary EXCEPT for exercise that is long and intense.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    I would recommend a blood test to check iron, zinc and b12. Also did you significantly reduce carbs? Cause that could do it too.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Increase activity level setting in mfp, eat more, get haemoglobin levels checked, get blood pressure checked. Most likely, eat more and problem will be solved.

What's your height, weight and age?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Why on earth are you eating granola bars for breakfast. Choose a proper high fibre, high protein meal and some fats for break to prevent insulin spikes. Yes high insulin is what causes low blood sugar and dizziness. If you like oats have porridge with nuts and seeds and honey.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Why on earth are you eating granola bars for breakfast. Choose a proper high fibre, high protein meal and some fats for break to prevent insulin spikes. Yes high insulin is what causes low blood sugar and dizziness. If you like oats have porridge with nuts and seeds and honey.

I'm a senior in high school with only a few minutes to spare in the morning for breakfast. I recently asked another question on here about what would be healthy to eat for breakfast and literally everyone said that granola bars are healthy, but Larabars not like the average granola bar. So honestly I don't know what to believe at this point now.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Increase activity level setting in mfp, eat more, get haemoglobin levels checked, get blood pressure checked. Most likely, eat more and problem will be solved.

What's your height, weight and age?

18, 5'4,152