Help! Constipation impacting weight loss?

Options
Nearly 4 weeks ago, I began a low-carb sugar detox diet. A typical day includes meals like:

Breakfast: Frittata w/eggs, chicken sausage, veggies
Snack: packet of almond butter + celery
Lunch: Salad with oil and vinegar, baked chicken
Snack: cucumbers, baby carrots
Dinner: Broth based soup w/chicken, 1/2 avocado, salad
After dinner: 1 bottle of kombucha

I am exercising daily, and drinking a ton of water. (Definitely 8+ glasses/day)

The first week, I dropped 3 pounds very quickly! The past two weeks, my weight has been stuck. I have also felt somewhat constipated for the past week. I am feeling like I am getting enough fiber from veggies, but obviously something must be wrong. :( I have also tried taking a Magnesium supplement + Psyllium Husks, with only VERY minimal relief (mostly they just make me gassy.) Help! I am so anxious to feel cleared out and see the scale move once again....

Replies

• crewgirl86
    crewgirl86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yup. If i had the answers i wouldn't be asking here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are low carb and have decent amounts of fibre.

Not all magnesium works the same. Citrate and oxide are usually used for constipation issues. I had to take around 600mg every night before bed when i was low carbing, as i also had issues,,,
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What? There are fiber bombs with every meal. Veggies, celery, salad, cucumbers, baby carrots, avocado and Kombucha.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    When you log your food how much fibre does it say you are getting? I eat 8 serves of veges a day and still wouldn't reach my fibre goals without some wholegrains thrown in.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Keep playing with your dietary fiber and keep track of days that you do um you know- have a BM so that you will find what is successful for you. In the meantime, try a cup of senna "smooth move" tea at night. If this persists, you will need to seek advice from your pcp.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    When you log your food how much fibre does it say you are getting? I eat 8 serves of veges a day and still wouldn't reach my fibre goals without some wholegrains thrown in.

I suspect incomplete entries. Veggies are loaded with fibre.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Advice when I talked to my dietitian with same issue, get your liquid intake over 2 litres, mostly water, you may need to add 500-ml over what you're currently doing even if you are over 2 litres at the moment, 2nd if that doesn't work after 3 to 4 days look into adding a prune or two up to 5 per day to your diet, start slowly with the prunes with one per day and increase over a week or two
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There are also hormonal fluctuations that can cause constipation. If it's not your diet or a medical condition, it should resolve by itself. Stay hydrated and keep eating that fiber. And see a doctor if it starts to worry you.