Enough food???

Options
Hi. I have a question for everyone. I have been counting calories and macros for a month and have been looking about a 1lb or less a week. I'm 5feet 5 inches and now weigh 163.1. I sit at a desk all day and work out on my lunches. I started off at 1320 calories and noe it's at 1300. I'm not starving on this or anything but I have heard 1200 is starvation mode. Just getting nervous I maybe eating not enough calories. I also noticed alot of people do not go by mfp recamindation for calories. Also take not I have my fitbit hooked up and every time I get more steps I get more calories. Some days I am eating 1500 to 1600 calories. Help me please.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you are satisfied at the calorie range you are consuming and you are achieving your goal (1 pound or less per week) then you are doing fine.

Agreed. If you are around the 1 lb a week loss rate, you are doing just fine. Don't worry about starvation mode and yes, eat back your fitbit calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I go by MFP's recommendations. Have for 11 months, as it's slowly cut me back from 1720 to 1240 (I'm 5'3, sedentary, and now just under 40 lbs from goal, 30 from the top of my BMI range, trying to lose 1lb/week) before exercise.

I eat back half my exercise calories, though after the Jewish holidays end in two weeks, I'll probably eat back more of them. So, really, I eat more like 1600-1700 most days.

And starvation mode isn't real. But if you go below 1200, it's very difficult to get adequate nutrition.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    At your size and activity level, one pound or a little less a week is perfect. Don't try to fix what isn't broken!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    As the user above said starvation mode is a myth. I personally don't follow the recommended MFP calories because after years of calorie counting and having a consistent exercise routine I have a good handle on what my TDEE is and I prefer to cycle my calories in a way that best supports my activity levels however, the MFP calorie recommendations are just as good (keeping in mind that you are supposed to eat back some exercise calories). Your rate of loss sounds perfect to me, i'd keep doing exactly what you're doing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a question for everyone. I have been counting calories and macros for a month and have been looking about a 1lb or less a week. I'm 5feet 5 inches and now weigh 163.1. I sit at a desk all day and work out on my lunches. I started off at 1320 calories and noe it's at 1300. I'm not starving on this or anything but I have heard 1200 is starvation mode. Just getting nervous I maybe eating not enough calories. I also noticed alot of people do not go by mfp recamindation for calories. Also take not I have my fitbit hooked up and every time I get more steps I get more calories. Some days I am eating 1500 to 1600 calories. Help me please.

How much weight have you lost? If, over a month, you are averaging the pound a week which is your goal, you don't need to make any changes.

(If you lost a lot of week your first week, you'll want to throw that number out.)
  • gerbradaisy44
    gerbradaisy44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank u for all the advice and quick reply.