Anyone have hashimotos??

Options
I've been working out since February but really didn't get serious about it till August...I was diagnosed with hashimotos and have been struggling to lose weight even though I feel I've been working out like crazy and staying around 1200 calories a day... Is there any hope? It's so frustrating... I've been avoiding taking medication, does it really help? I thought just working out and eating healthier would be enough.

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm not a doctor, but the medical sources say you should be on hormone replacement therapy at the very least--and not just for weight loss reasons.

https://www.webmd.com/women/hashimotos-thyroiditis-symptoms-causes-treatments#2

The way I understand it, your body is attacking your thyroid, which regulates hormones. This means you will have hormone deficiencies, which is very, *very* bad for your general health. See a doctor and take the hormones. That should allow your body to function better, which will help with weight loss.
  • phuongnganmai
    phuongnganmai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, hard to lose weight. But I'm on med, and been working out and shaping up for about 3 weeks now. Currently in week 4th, I lost 7 lbs.
  • phuongnganmai
    phuongnganmai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The medication helps a lot, it's actually get your body going and all the hormones and organs going. And more importantly, your metabolism.
  • NeverSawAWildThingFeelSorry
    Options
    You need to take levothyroxine. Consequences of untreated thyroid disease include hyperlipidemia, cardiac disease, multiple endocrine abnormalities, slowed mentation, early onset alzheimer's, coma and death. Look up myxedema coma some time if you're curious...Seriously take your medicine, you will feel much better.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Take your medicine, please. This is the easiest endocrine disorder to treat - once your dose is sorted out you just need a blood test every 6 months. I have it, take my meds and am losing weight on a low cal high fat diet. It'S a familial condition so I'd expect other women in your family to have it. Also more common in women because of more complex immune systems. Sometimes associated with insulin resistance and pcos.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    sarahm6381 wrote: »
    I've been avoiding taking medication, does it really help?

Why ever would you do this? In Hashimoto's, your body's immune system is attacking and destroying your thyroid. That means your thyroid is not making enough -- or any -- of the hormones that regulate your metabolism. This is NOT something you can somehow "power through". Take the Synthroid. I do, and I had no trouble losing weight.

And there are other complications of Hashimoto's besides just not feeling well. You're risking your health.
  • sarahm6381
    sarahm6381 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...I've never read up much about it, was having issues with hair loss and not losing weight so Dr had my blood work done and was told my thyroid is not functioning at all. I thought maybe there was a way to overcome it with out meds but after reading your comments and doing some research will be making a call to my Dr.
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's. I take my meds Tirosint (a corn free synthroid -allergic) as directed and after a short while, my hair wasn't nearly as thin, I felt WAY better, I did have trouble losing weight BUT my doc told me to go off grains and dairy and I've lost 72 lbs since January this year. I feel better now than I ever have!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Many here have Hashimoto's or other varying degrees of thyroid disorder.

If you were prescribed medication you need to take this. Thyroid cannot be fixed with diet - only through medicine and surgical correction. Note it will take ~6 weeks for your body to react to medication, so give it time.

You have a gland that either isn't functioning as intended or the hormone is being blocked/inhibited. Either way you need to take the medication that is supplementing your body's inability to provide this necessary hormone.

Be cautious here. There are numerous snake oil marketers more than willing to make a buck off of desperate people. Follow the science and medicine and only get your information from peer reviewed and/or legitimate medical sites.

For inspiration, know that there are several elite level athletes with Hashimoto's. Jillian Michaels has Hashimoto's and has done quite well.

Thyroid impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5% from clinical observation. That is 80 kcals/day out of a 1600 kcal/day calorie budget.

What calorie goal did MFP produce for you and what is your desired rate of loss? How much do you have to lose?
  • sarahm6381
    sarahm6381 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wanna say mfp calorie goal was around 2000 something and I felt that was way too much so I dropped it down to 1200 which most days I have a hard time reaching. I'd be fine with 1-2lbs a week loss. I would like to lose 40-50 lbs
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    sarahm6381 wrote: »
    I wanna say mfp calorie goal was around 2000 something and I felt that was way too much so I dropped it down to 1200 which most days I have a hard time reaching. I'd be fine with 1-2lbs a week loss. I would like to lose 40-50 lbs

Think long term on this and move slowly. If you track success stories and strategies you'll find those who lost and successfully maintained did so by implementing small changes. Stick with what MFP gives you for a goal of 1.5-2lbs/week for now. Your body can only burn so much fat over time and this rate will drop as you get closer to your goal. With hypothyroidism maybe drop another 5% off of your calorie goal, but don't go too drastic.

Hydration is critical for anyone with a hormone imbalance or deficiency, so build up a drinking routine. Again nothing crazy like drinking over a gallon/day. Just a glass of water early in the morning and 30 mins prior to meals and around workouts.

Keep us posted on any progress and/or problems.

Just to relay my personal story - I was active duty Navy and as part of medical followup from an injury discovered a small focus of carcinoma in my thyroid. This resulted in a total thyroid removal in 2000. I followed a lot of the woo around this and figured my fitness goals were over - gaining ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. In 2014 my wife turned me onto MFP after she gave birth to our third child and used the site to get back into shape. In my first year using MFP I lost ~60 lbs through a moderate deficit and gradually increasing exercise.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don’t have Hashimoto’s, but I have heard that many autoimmune diseases can be aggravated by sensitivities to certain foods and bad gut health. Have you tried an elimination diet? And, definitely start taking a good probiotic if you aren’t already.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I do have Hashimotos and I totally understand what you are talking about. But don't get discouraged,there is definitely a way for you to lose weight. But you do have to put work in. I was able to drop 20 pounds and did a competition, meaning I was able to see my abs. Eat clean and workout!!! You can do it!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    erika_307 wrote: »
    I don’t have Hashimoto’s, but I have heard that many autoimmune diseases can be aggravated by sensitivities to certain foods and bad gut health. Have you tried an elimination diet? And, definitely start taking a good probiotic if you aren’t already.

Even if there were good data to support this, once the thyroid stops functioning no amount of "elimination" can bring it back.
  • corporatelawmom
    corporatelawmom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year with Hashi's. The first med I was on did not help. I switched doctors and am now on a bio-identical medication that has worked wonders! I've also given up gluten, which has helped a lot. Losing the weight is hard. But once your T3 and T4 levels are within optimal levels, you will be amazed by how good you feel!
  • rlaurain
    rlaurain Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's autoimmune disorder about 9 months ago. My thyroid was totally not functioning as my body was attacking it. It explained so much: the hair-loss/thinning, getting sick a lot, extreme weight gain for the past 2 years, high anxiety, dry skin, and CONSTANT exhaustion. I was so tired I was missing work and thought I might get fired. I was crying/angry a lot for no reason and it was hurting my marriage. So I went to the doctor and a simple blood test confirmed the Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My mom has it, too. It is genetic. I started taking Levothyroxine in a small amount (there are other meds you can take I believe, but Levothyroxine is safest for pregnancies and we are going to start a family sooner or later so the doctor put me on that) and had a blood test every couple of months to check the levels. You have to start out small and let it build in your body, and then you can take more if you need it. I had my dosage increased once, and then after about 8 or 9 months, my levels were considered okay. Hashimoto's thyroiditis can actually cause miscarriages, and so I'm glad I got it under control. I am happy to say I have energy, and I'm happier! I went from sleeping all day/night to almost never needing a nap. Of course, medication isn't instant.. It takes a few months to notice a difference. My hair still falls out, but I started taking Vitamin D and it's helping (blood test confirmed I wasn't getting enough before). My anxiety is almost gone now.. AND the best part is that I'm starting to lose weight. Before Levothyroxine, I literally couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried. I was gaining weight fast by doing NOTHING different. In college I was super skinny with a fast metabolism and ate whatever I wanted and never gained. But since Hashimoto's appeared I gained 35 pounds in 1.5 year. I'm glad that my levels are good and no more blood tests for a while now.. and I've just lost 2 pounds in one week.. barely exercised- just eating clean. :) I used to be terrified of needles so it was hard for me to accept regular blood tests at first, but I go to the local hospital's lab where they are EXPERTS at drawing blood, and it doesn't even hurt at all there. Just find what works.. You should work closely with your doctor on a solution. Thyroid disease is dangerous when left untreated and it's simple to manage. Good luck!! :)