Abs after Diastis Recti

Options
Have any mommas on here had significant success with repairing your split abs due to pregnancy? I’m wearing the Bellefit postpartum girdle to help pull the muscles back to the center, so that’s been helpful. And I know working obliques helps push your abs back more central too, but anything else? I know crunches and planks are off limits, so how can I get my definition back without the normal ab workouts? I’ll attach a picture of what my abs look like 10 weeks postpartum. I know it could be much worse, but I think I have a 2-3 finger separation when I check myself. Help :(ftch7dt7xicn.jpeg

Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I too had 2 finger separation after this latest pregnancy. Its been 9 month and I think it's nearly healed. Still a finger separation directly above my belly button. I've focused on obliques 2-3 times a week, but I think the most healing has come from walking and running. I never wore a girdle. I know some people have a much wider separation, so I'm not sure if what worked for me would work for them. Good luck!
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    NPR did a good article with helpful links and info http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/07/541204499/flattening-the-mummy-tummy-with-1-exercise-10-minutes-a-day. I know cross over crunches and bicycles are a big no no.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had twins and 18 years later still had a 3 finger separation. I opted for the tummy tuck.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep..no coming back for me after my 9 pounder. I had it repaired via tummy tuck. You look amazing, btw!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Doing stomach vacuums while lying down helped me, plus wall push-ups! There are several exercises you can do, Google was a good resource (it has it's shining moments).
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 18 years. No coming back from it in my case. I do a lot of ab work, and my abs are super strong, so you can get strength back even if you can get the muscles to repair themselves. I think in severe cases, they just stay like that barring surgical intervention. My stomach looked much worse than yours does, but I also had a 2 ft tall, 9 lb baby. He's currently over six foot three...still totally worth it. Abs are overrated anyways.