Anyone else get headaches after working out?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I'll be honest I've never been consistent with exercise. I have to be careful because of some knee and ankle issues - I am in physio for them (again). But I often get headaches soon after working out.

Sometimes if it's yoga I think it's the flat floor under my head that hurts it, but today I did 30min on the stationary bike then walked 2 laps of the track & did some stretching. I can't imagine why because I didn't use my upper body really. So it shouldn't be muscle tension. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! I'm trying to go 2x a week (this is my second week trying) and I'm trying to cut out excuses.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure?
  • kiela64
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    How's your blood pressure?

It's perfectly fine. I had it checked last week actually!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    Are you dehydrated? Make sure you are drinking plenty of water before, during and after your workout as needed. You don't have to force water, but dehydration can cause headaches.
  • kiela64
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Are you dehydrated? Make sure you are drinking plenty of water before, during and after your workout as needed. You don't have to force water, but dehydration can cause headaches.

Maybe! I was pouring sweat and didn't drink much until I got home. I'll bring water next time.
    Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you are pouring sweat, and drinking more before, during, and after your workout, you may need to have a drink with electrolytes after your workout. Nunn tablets are good, a dash of salt in a glass of water may be enough, or an Emergen-C will do it.

Cheers, h.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I'll be honest I've never been consistent with exercise. I have to be careful because of some knee and ankle issues - I am in physio for them (again). But I often get headaches soon after working out.

Sometimes if it's yoga I think it's the flat floor under my head that hurts it, but today I did 30min on the stationary bike then walked 2 laps of the track & did some stretching. I can't imagine why because I didn't use my upper body really. So it shouldn't be muscle tension. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! I'm trying to go 2x a week (this is my second week trying) and I'm trying to cut out excuses.

I used to have this problem literally every time I worked out - I would see stars, get shaky as hell and get terrible shooting headaches. It was all dehydration. Make sure you're drinking enough water. Try to go through a whole Shaker Bottle by your half-way point and another full bottle by the end. Crucial.

Also, fellow gimpy foot friend here! I have been lifting for about 3-years and active in the fitness world since as long as I can remember. I had reconstructive surgery on my left foot/ankle in 2013 and have had many issues with it since - so if you ever need motivation, I'm here for ya! I'm usually in the gym 6-7 x week for lifts and cardio, compete in powerlifting and am huge on the "no excuses" motto...even days like this when the weather is changing and my ankle implant/screws/plate are really limiting my mobility. Just get in there and make it happen! The progress is more important than the temporary pain!
  • kiela64
    edited October 2017
    Options

I used to have this problem literally every time I worked out - I would see stars, get shaky as hell and get terrible shooting headaches. It was all dehydration. Make sure you're drinking enough water. Try to go through a whole Shaker Bottle by your half-way point and another full bottle by the end. Crucial.

Also, fellow gimpy foot friend here! I have been lifting for about 3-years and active in the fitness world since as long as I can remember. I had reconstructive surgery on my left foot/ankle in 2013 and have had many issues with it since - so if you ever need motivation, I'm here for ya! I'm usually in the gym 6-7 x week for lifts and cardio, compete in powerlifting and am huge on the "no excuses" motto...even days like this when the weather is changing and my ankle implant/screws/plate are really limiting my mobility. Just get in there and make it happen! The progress is more important than the temporary pain!

Thanks, yeah I didn't think of the water as being time sensitive like that. I'll do better on that!

I've mostly had IT band issues and weak/overcompensating muscles. Dislocated my knee cap two years ago.

Question: how do you do power lifting with ankle issues? I've been scared off of any weights for fear of injury. But I'd be interested if it's possible?

I'm sure I'd need to increase my general and cardio fitness first, but maybe someday.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Thanks, yeah I didn't think of the water as being time sensitive like that. I'll do better on that!

I've mostly had IT band issues and weak/overcompensating muscles. Dislocated my knee cap two years ago.

Question: how do you do power lifting with ankle issues? I've been scared off of any weights for fear of injury. But I'd be interested if it's possible?

I'm sure I'd need to increase my general and cardio fitness first, but maybe someday.

First off, ask your doctor or PT if it's okay for you to lift heavy weights. That's advice that I don't take myself, but oh well, had to say it for the MFP world.

Second off, totally possible. Just listen to your body, realize that progress is slow (i.e. don't start off trying to squat 265 lbs. or something crazy) and take the time to learn proper form. That being said, training with an injury is always going to be difficult. It's a mind set that you adapt to that basically prioritizes fitness over everything else. I always complete my work out and get in even when I'm sore and when my implant pops out. Just push through. Put it in your head that you don't have the option to quit. It's really a rewarding way to train. I do a slightly altered program which is a mix of powerlifting training and accessory work - but that's what works best for my body to see results.

Third - definitely don't stay away from weights completely! Biggest mistake. I've been through many fitness phases - and the "cardio only" phase was my least fit by far. Weights change the composition of your body, have a more rewarding and positive training outlook along with burning more post-workout than cardio. I'm not saying you have to powerlift but incorporating some weight training would definitely be good to do along with cardio.

If you have any powerlifting questions let me know! Would love to help answer them!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Try the water, but also look up exertion headaches. For some people, it's not a hydration issue, they just get headaches from working out. If that is the issue, they are easy enough to get a handle on. If the problem persists, see your doctor. Good luck.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Try the water, but also look up exertion headaches. For some people, it's not a hydration issue, they just get headaches from working out. If that is the issue, they are easy enough to get a handle on. If the problem persists, see your doctor. Good luck.

Thank you! I do get migraines and I have medication for when they strike, and the exercise headaches I get are definitely not migraine like. Much more muscle/tension. No light sensitivity. Just moderate pain. Irritating but not absolutely debilitating thank goodness. That sounds awful!
  • kiela64
    Options

First off, ask your doctor or PT if it's okay for you to lift heavy weights. That's advice that I don't take myself, but oh well, had to say it for the MFP world.

Second off, totally possible. Just listen to your body, realize that progress is slow (i.e. don't start off trying to squat 265 lbs. or something crazy) and take the time to learn proper form. That being said, training with an injury is always going to be difficult. It's a mind set that you adapt to that basically prioritizes fitness over everything else. I always complete my work out and get in even when I'm sore and when my implant pops out. Just push through. Put it in your head that you don't have the option to quit. It's really a rewarding way to train. I do a slightly altered program which is a mix of powerlifting training and accessory work - but that's what works best for my body to see results.

Third - definitely don't stay away from weights completely! Biggest mistake. I've been through many fitness phases - and the "cardio only" phase was my least fit by far. Weights change the composition of your body, have a more rewarding and positive training outlook along with burning more post-workout than cardio. I'm not saying you have to powerlift but incorporating some weight training would definitely be good to do along with cardio.

If you have any powerlifting questions let me know! Would love to help answer them!

Thanks! I'll mention it at my next appointment. I definitely wouldn't try to do anything like that, I'm extremely weak lol. I think the most weight I could pick up would be 40lbs lmao. And it would probably hurt.

I'm definitely skittish of the barbell type weights....I don't think it's for me. At least not now lol. But maybe I will try the machines at the gym again. I've used them before but not consistently. And maybe dumbbells idk I'd need to look into how things work. But I'll ask and maybe the PT will have some suggestions.