Calorie amount help?

Options
I’ve been running about 4 miles every other day. I’m 5’4 and 115 pounds. I’m eating 1200 cals a day right now, but I feel so drained that I’m wondering whether I should be eating more, but I don’t want to gain weight. Any suggestions based on my height and activity level?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any exercise calories?
    Perhaps slowly work up to maintainance calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You have little body fat and you exercise. Yes you should be eating more than 1200 calories.

Also, what are you trying to achieve?
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diet or exercise diary...so shot in the dark, but according to this site BMR Calculator for a 30 y/o, your base is around 1315...and that's if you lay around in bed all day. I would ball park you need closer to 1500 to maintain, and perhaps as much as 55-65% of that from carbs. BTW, what's your macro ratio now?

Also, ideal-weight-calculator puts your ideal weight between 107.78 lbs and 145.65 lbs, which you are OK but on the low end. I defiantly don't see a need to cut fat anymore, and you could still gain 10 lbs and still be under the half way mark. I realize you don't want to gain, but you should really up your calories to accommodate your energy output, if nothing more to ensure you don't eat up muscle. Perhaps go with 25/25/50 ratio, and incorporate a BCAA supplement to keep away from muscle loss, and boost performance[Ref 1].
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Running 4 miles burns *approximately* 400 calories. Are you eating back that amount on your exercise days? If not, I would recommend it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more for the next two weeks. Then increase a little more for the next two weeks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back some of those exercise calories.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes...you're literally running yourself into the ground.