How squeamish are you about other people's sweat in the gym?

Options
You know how it is. Some gyms have policies that state people must wipe off each piece of equipment after using it. Others aren't so strict, though it's naturally best to wipe the equipment off if you've sweated into it.

Where do you stand?

Personally, I'm not that easily squicked out. If somebody drips sweat onto the equipment, of course, that's one thing. If someone is just using the elliptical at a moderate pace though, then this doesn't bother me so much. People's hands usually don't sweat that much unless they're pushing their cardio limit.

Ditto with someone just using a bench or doing seated presses. Unless you're really dripping in sweat, that's unlikely to cause a problem. Heck, unless they've really been sweating a storm, I almost never see the heavy lifters wipe off their benches or chairs, and that doesn't really bother me. I figure that we routinely encounter much worse outside of the gym -- on buses or subways, for example.

That's me, though. How does everyone else feel about this?

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    wipe your sweat off the machine, that's disgusting if you don't

If there's noticeable sweat, then yeah, I'm with you on that one. Heck, I even think it's reasonable to do so anyway, just to spare someone else's sensibilities.

If someone hasn't really sweat into the equipment, though? Just doing dips on a bench, for example? I'm not going to get upset if someone doesn't bother to wipe that off unless he or she really dripped into it.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I wipe down anything the ol' butt touches. I don't trust that everyone is reasonably clean and I'm considerate of the people after me. Plus, if no one is wiping down then what about the collective sweat from multiple people??
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I believe in keeping things sanitary.
    Staph, and all.
    Molluscum contagiosum, which might be scarier, though is less potentially lethal.
    I wipe.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Folks, I'm not asking whether you wipe or not. I do so even when it seems like overkill.

I'm asking how squeamish you are about the notion of other people's perspiration. Again, not visible pools of sweat, but mere flesh-to-equipment contact even when one isn't noticeably sweaty.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    gyms are so nasty and disgusting. there is no way to keep the cooties off, even if you wipe things down. i have my own towel and put it down where my head goes , and i never lay on the floor, never ever lay on the deadlift platform. I wash my hands before i leave, and shower and wash my throw my gym clothes in the washing machine when i get home.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's not just the sweat, it's everything else too!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I wipe off equipment after I use it. I assume other people do the same, so I'm not usually grossed out by equipment. I have occasionally wiped down something BEFORE I use it if I have seen the previous person...and the person has BO or is super sweaty.

Interestingly...when people work in with me or ask to use something immediately after me, they don't wipe after me. I don't look gross maybe?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not squeamish. I wipe the seats/benches. I don't wipe dumbbells.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    The last few folks get what I'm saying. Seriously, the degree to which people try to avoid sweat at the gym gets to be ridiculous.

If someone hops on an exercise bike for a few minutes without breaking a sweat, I won't expect that person to wipe the bicycle down afterwards. And why should I? That'd be like wiping down a bus seat after you've sat on it.

Again, visible sweat is another matter. Even then, though... if you've ever taken a CrossFit class, you've probably had to share equipment with a bunch of other sweaty exercisers. At some point, it's just a fact of life.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Interestingly...when people work in with me or ask to use something immediately after me, they don't wipe after me. I don't look gross maybe?
    I have NEVER see anyone wipe the equipment down before or after "working in." I'm okay with that. I wouldn't expect people to do that sort of thing -- again, unless they're dripping with sweat.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I wipe down and like to see things wiped down after use. Squeamish....No, working at a hospital takes the squeamish with body fluids right out of you.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I carry my own alcohol wipes and clean machines prior to and post use. I'm not concerned about sweat...it's more the people who touch things without washing their hands post bathroom use. My immune system is also wacky, so better safe than sorry with the germ aspect.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Am I squeamish? No. Am I cognizant of how any slip-up can cause me a world of pain as a user of immunosuppressants? Yes. So I work out at home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I have NEVER see anyone wipe the equipment down before or after "working in." I'm okay with that. I wouldn't expect people to do that sort of thing -- again, unless they're dripping with sweat.

Yeah, I've noticed that. If somebody is waiting for a piece of equipment, I'll usually turn to them and say "would you like me to wipe this off?" and they always say no.